Lady GaGa featuring Beyonce: Telephone

Soldato
That is exactly what the pop industry is about. You 'buy' into the image the record labels create, the music is a secondary factor. Whats important is who the new big thing is, not who has the best single. Image is what sells, and if they've got a catchy tune to go along with it (preferably without deep lyrics about love, has to be about teen crushes or infatuation) then that's just icing.

True, but it wasn't always. Once a musician would have been proud to call their music Pop. What i want to know is where are they now? They would probably exist if people hadn't bought into this crap in the first place.

Soldato
Her look is clearly her own, except someone makes everything for her, random utter crap, any designer can make utterly retarded clothes that are completely out of the norm, she's FAR from the first person to randomly wear utter crap and call it style. Just no ones done it in a while, because the last few people that did it were just nuts and people got bored of them.

If YOU really wanted to you could go out wearing the same stuff she does, you'd be 1 in a billion and you'd get a lot of attention, but thats as deep as Lady Gaga goes. Videophone, Telephone, I assume the next two songs will be Blackberry and Ipad.

Dress her normally, on stage live singing the same tosh and people would be bored in minutes. Unfortunately the mass music fans out there are superficial idiots who only care about the fame and popularity of the person, not what/how they sing.

Writing a couple catchy jingles doesn't make for a good songwriter or musician.

She also constantly lies in her interviews, randomly going through, "I'm barking mad" to, "i'm completely normal", to "i'd die if my fans saw me dressed normally".

Recently she did an interview saying everyone in the industry hates her, she doesn't speak to people and she was completely ignored at whatever the latest award show was, even though theres pictures of her talking to people all night long and other people talking about how they spoke with her and really liked her. She simply lies to keep up this strange image because its selling to people that can't be bothered to look deeper than the image.

For me she's the epitome of every last thing thats wrong with current crap pop music. THe only more embarassing thing is that people like JLS, whose music is like dodgey gay boy bands from 20 years ago, utterly talentless, awful music, and yet successful, if anything they prove popularity and success is nothing to do with talent or music, but about image.

this man speaks the truth.

the pop world is an absolute travesty, it has been ever since the spice girls (although there have been terrible acts previous, i feel this was the major turning point).

there are genuinely talented bands out there that don't get signed due to them not fitting in with what is the current flavour; i.e. what the record labels decide people should be listening to.

if you want some truly heroic song writing/music art, listen to porcupine tree, don't listen to this manufactured, over produced gash.

Associate
True, but it wasn't always. Once a musician would have been proud to call their music Pop. What i want to know is where are they now? They would probably exist if people hadn't bought into this crap in the first place.

I think the pop biz has always been somewhat like that, even The Beatles were a product. But it's just got worse over time, and the importance of having a quality record to go with the music has lessened somewhat. Auto-tune, trendy music videos with slow-mo black and white sequences, stupid choreographed dancing that nobody ever does in real life etc.

Associate
the pop world is an absolute travesty, it has been ever since the spice girls (although there have been terrible acts previous, i feel this was the major turning point).

I thionk the turning point was the Stock, Aitken and Waterman era. Mel and Kim, Sinitta, Rick Astley etc. That was when the pop world really started to understand how to market their products (they're not acts, or bands, they're products).

Soldato
I think the pop biz has always been somewhat like that, even The Beatles were a product. But it's just got worse over time, and the importance of having a quality record to go with the music has lessened somewhat. Auto-tune, trendy music videos with slow-mo black and white sequences, stupid choreographed dancing that nobody ever does in real life etc.

I'd have to disagree with you there, The Beatles were the pioneers of all the music that followed and they were certainly not just a figurehead. Sure, at the time people often looked on them as they look on a boy band now but there's no denying that they were amazing musicians. The same can't be said for today's batch.

Associate
I'd have to disagree with you there, The Beatles were the pioneers of all the music that followed and they were certainly not just a figurehead. Sure, at the time people often looked on them as they look on a boy band now but there's no denying that they were amazing musicians. The same can't be said for today's batch.

Oh don't get me wrong - I agree with you, The Beatles were fantastic. They were manufactured to some extent, but not to the extreme of todays pop products. The Beatles have a discography that absolutely shows their talent took precedent over their image, by a loooong shot. What I mean to say is that today, the scales are tipped the other way - you dont have to be a songwriter, you dont have to be a musician, you dont even need to be able to sing. As long as you can be choreographed to dance and have an image that can be manipulated, you can be star.

Last edited:
Associate
Pop music has changed over the years and there are many definitions of it now. People need to get over it and move on.

I dont think anyone would deny that. People are just saying the quality has dropped.

If you had a favorite type of jam, say strawberry for example. And your favourite jam maker started using synthetic ingredients.. thats kinda what some peoples views are on pop music today.

Soldato
I dont think anyone would deny that. People are just saying the quality has dropped.

If you had a favorite type of jam, say strawberry for example. And your favourite jam maker started using synthetic ingredients.. thats kinda what some peoples views are on pop music today.

I know what you mean but people are slagging Lady Gaga off and they don't know her which really annoys me.

Soldato
I thionk the turning point was the Stock, Aitken and Waterman era. Mel and Kim, Sinitta, Rick Astley etc. That was when the pop world really started to understand how to market their products (they're not acts, or bands, they're products).
I'd go along with this, yeah.

I know there were precendents - The Monkees being the most obvious example - but this is when it turned into a finely-tuned machine.

Soldato

Except it hasn't changed one bit, pop music is exactly that - Popular music, it cant be defined in the same sense that rock music can be.
You cannot argue that today's pop music is any worse than the likes of the 70's/80/90's pop music. For every one good song out of that era there were 30 other crap ones that have long since been forgotten about, hopefully never to be heard again. The same will happen for this generation of pop music.

The difference is, your getting older and your tastes are maturing with it.

Lady Gaga, she'll have her five minutes of fame and maybe she will be able to adjust her image to suit the next shift in music taste, but i cant see her being able to, she's to ingrained in peoples head as the wacky dresser. The last person that i can think of that managed that was Pink and i dont rate Gaga as likeable as Pink. :)

Soldato
Watched this at the weekend.

Certainly upped the weirdness stakes. Thought the video wasn't great but was obviously one of the weirdest things i've seen. Waving her burger about was certainly an eye opener.

I also thought Beyonce tried to jump on the Weird-wagon™ and bounced out again hard. Not a great Be-yonce fan in the first place but she was ridiculously out of place in this.

Shame as I really liked the Bad Romance video - one of the best video's i've seen in a while.

Associate
Was never a big fan of Gaga but ended up seeing her live at T in the Park last year as the missus is a fan and ended up enjoying it more than I expcted.

Since then I have had a listen to some of the live stuff she has done and a lot of it is really good. Get away from the crazy over productions that goes into the chart released stuff and its quite enjoyable.

Just her and a piano seems good, throw big bukets of weird all over it for the chart stuff and it loses something.

Soldato
Lady Gaga reminds me of Marilyn Manson, too, and has done for a while. Musically and visually.
She is both a pale pop-copy of him, and maybe also the living example of what some of his songs are about.

Soldato
I have to say I love Telephone, it's really catchy. I can't help it!

Short video without the exposition here (swearing bleeped too). Not sure if it's official or not but I much prefer it without the lesbo prison schtick, although the short version makes even less sense than the original as a result of the cuts. :p

Soldato
I can't stand her or any of those trashy songs. She's stupidly popular now so any garbage she releases, no matter how awful, will go straight into the charts with all the sheep buying it up.

Absolute nut job. I slightly suspect she'll be found dead in a few years to come, suicide or somesuch. She appears the type.

Soldato
I can't stand her or any of those trashy songs. She's stupidly popular now so any garbage she releases, no matter how awful, will go straight into the charts with all the sheep buying it up.

Absolute nut job. I slightly suspect she'll be found dead in a few years to come, suicide or somesuch. She appears the type.

She's fooled you.

Back
Top Bottom