LAN over Powerlines

Man of Honour
Just been reading about using powerlines for LAN connections at El Reg. Although we've all read about this for connecting to ISPs (I think PowerGen were trialing the tech?), ZyXEL have released a kit for home use..

Running communications signals over mains power cabling is nothing new, of course. Intercoms have been doing this for years, but while data applications have followed voice, powerline networking has never really taken off.

The development of the HomePlug 1.0 standard has helped, and powerline networking has found a place in many a US home. In Europe, however, the preference has been for wireless networking, thanks to a plethora of cheap access points and add-in cards, and the ease with which they can be set up.

ZyXEL's pitch is that powerline is faster, pushing a maximum throughput of 85Mbps to 802.11g Wi-Fi's 54Mbps. Powerline is more secure, too, since it's inherently harder to tap into a powerline network, though ZyXEL's latest powerline box, the PL-100, encrypts everything using DES with 56-bit keys.

Each PL-100 is a small, silvery, modem-sized box you can sit on your desk, the floor or even mount on the wall next to the mains socket. The box has just two ports: an Ethernet port to connect the unit to a PC, printer, hub or switch, and the power cable.

As soon as you connect the PL-100 to the mains it starts looking for compatible devices - it'll work with an HomePlug 1.0-compliant device, says ZyXEL - and is ready to start exchanging data when it finds one.
Sounds quite promising? http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/01/23/review_zyxel_pl-100/

Soldato
HomePlug isn't exactly new, it has been around for quite some time. I used to have some of the older 12Mbit (I think) kit for connecting my MP3 player to the network, worked fine for a few months then one of hte units died.

Associate
Homeplug high speed 85mbs has been out for a few months. Ordinary or high speed is very handy when wireless is unreliable. Needs to be a bit cheaper though

Back
Top Bottom