1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Landis gives positive drugs test

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by SpeedFreak, 27 Jul 2006.

1. SpeedFreak

Soldato

2. GuruJockStrap

Sgarrista

You beat me by 1 minute you swine! :p

I remember him completely blowing on a mountain stage and being something like 12 minutes down on the leader by the end of the stage. Next day he shot off from the front of the Peleton after only around 30Km's and won the stage, cutting the loss to only 30 seconds.

The positive test was after that stage.

The only defence for him is maybe it was some form of medication. I was reading how his hip is completely shot to pieces and he's due for a hip replacement very soon. He has difficulty getting on the bike, so it must be extremely painful in the saddle slogging up those mountains. Maybe it was for that? If it was, he should've checked to make sure the drug was ok to use.

Last edited: 27 Jul 2006
  3. Rotty

Don

4. SIAT

Hitman

Not surprising after his "recovery" in the last few days of the tour.

Cycling has become a laughing stock with most of the leading riders either retired or on drugs..

Be interesting to see what the tour do about Landis.

5. james.miller

Capodecina

"shock as male cyclist tests positive for testosterone"

thats what the B test is for guys. Dont right him off to early.

6. SIAT

Hitman

The fact the team have said it was him already says a lot...

And there is such a thing of way to much testosterone to be naturally produced thats kind of the point....

7. james.miller

Capodecina

has it been said what level he tested at?

8. chucky

Hitman

I dont understand how you can be done for having a hormone that is naturally produced in your body??

9. Duradrum

Wise Guy

Prob steroids mate.

10. wedgie

Sgarrista

Very easily, the body would produce a certain amount naturally, I would imagine to test positive the level of testosterone in the body must be high enough as to not have been produced naturally.

11. VaderDSL

Capodecina

:(

Always reminds me of Marco Pantani, always difficult to hold back the tears reading about him. I hope Landis gets the all clear and that if so, this doesn't affect him

People will say it was his own fault, and I guess I have to agree, still upsets me reading it though

12. SIAT

Hitman

They just said over normal levels.

13. leaskovski

Sgarrista

I dont think he cheated. Give it a couple of weeks and he will be cleared.

14. Red and White

Sgarrista

got to agree like. its rife with drugs now and is ruining a good sport.

15. james.miller

Capodecina

which could be anything, really. that's why i said dont write him off. If it were me and iwrong tested positive, i'd be carying on as normal - i woudnt be hiding behind closed doors, asking for my name to be kept secret.

16. Alibaba99

Wise Guy

The start of the tour was a bit messed up as well with 15 riders withdrawn (including Ullrich and Basso) due to contact with a doctor under investigation for doping.

17. SIAT

Hitman

He will be found positive in the end mark my words.

18. sunama

Capodecina

I think I read somewhere that it is believed that he put a testosterone patch on his scrotum for a few hours after he hit the wall in stage 16 (was it?). The following stage, he came back to win and claw back all the time he lost in the previous stage.

Of course, we must await the b test, though I believe that its the same sample that is split up into 2 which forms the 'a' sample/test and the 'b' sample test. If the 'a' sample is found positive, then it is almost 100% sure that the 'b' sample will also be found to be positive (as it is exactly the same sample). So effectively, he has already been found guilty, barring testing errors (which hardly ever happen).

It really depends if the doctors representing Landis can prove that he has naturally high testosterone levels and thus prove his innocence. Its unlikely, but possible.

I guess what we really needed was Armstrong to have held off retirement for 1 more year and raced in The Tour this year, to add some credibility to cycling. At least that way we would have got a clean pre-race favourite/winner.

It seems that drug testing in all sports (Gatlin - sprinting) is getting better and catching the cheats that would otherwise have got away with cheating.

19. Edinho

Mobster

Pantani's death was pretty sad, he didnt know how to handle it. He was a talented rider. This years tour was a complete farce tbh all the top riders were misssing.

20. Owenb

Wise Guy

Can't believe this is nearly 4 years old.

Landis has admitted to been on drugs for most of his career. He has also accused the sports 'white knight' of been on them and offering him advice on how to not to get caught.

Irish news site.