Laptop Advice

Associate
Hi All!

I'm seeking abit of advice and guidance.

I currently own a MSI GE60 SPEC (bought from OCUK back in Oct 2012), Its done me proud, been all over the world with me and still I use it daily for work and personal use.

I think the time has come for me to treat myself to a new one. However I don’t use the laptop for gaming anymore (Purely an xbox man now). I do want to get into a spot of video editing and more Photoshop use, particularly abit of 4k editing. So im looking for abit of a powerful spec right?

I’m not too clue up anymore of specs and what it really gets me in terms of what I need to do this. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Given that I bought the GE60 for around £1300 I think it was. I be looking to spend roughly about the same.

Thanks in advance!

Caporegime
Alienware 15 R3 from the Dell Outlet?

£1300
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad Core,up to 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache, 45W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
16GB DDR4 SDRAM (2x8GB) 2400MHz Non-ECC
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
256GB PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB
Gaming Software : Steam Factory Installed
Software
Killer 1535 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1
LCD FHD cover Non Touch with Cam
Power Cord : 250V
Primary 4-cell 68W/HR Battery
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 300-nits Display

Soldato
You can get a brand new (rather then refurb alienware) on overclockers right now for £1,299.95 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...-intel-i7-7700hq-gaming-laptop-lt-08c-gi.html

Not a garish gaming machine like the MSI's and Alienwares either. 2 year warranty and Gigabyte's support on these forums is fantastic.

A lot of the dell outlet are simply customer returns. For £1350 i got a alienware 15 r3 with i7 6820hk, 16gb ram and a 1070 with 4k display then whacked a 250gb nvme drive in it too. if you're doing 4k editing then i'd have thought a 4k screen would be a requirement as well surely?

Associate
A lot of the dell outlet are simply customer returns. For £1350 i got a alienware 15 r3 with i7 6820hk, 16gb ram and a 1070 with 4k display then whacked a 250gb nvme drive in it too. if you're doing 4k editing then i'd have thought a 4k screen would be a requirement as well surely?

Op's original laptop did not have a 4k display so may have an external?

People don't tend to return perfectly functioning laptops, ergo, refurb.

Other than that the overheating issues with the 6820HK's because of Alienware's unbalanced heatsink is another reason to avoid.

Soldato
Op's original laptop did not have a 4k display so may have an external?

People don't tend to return perfectly functioning laptops, ergo, refurb.

Other than that the overheating issues with the 6820HK's because of Alienware's unbalanced heatsink is another reason to avoid.

He may have an external but as that isn't mentioned it'd be better to presume he doesn't and that a 4k monitor would be a useful addition.

Of course they do, haha. Buy a laptop online, switch it on, don't like the fan noise. Send it back. Too heavy to deal with, send it back. Light on the front too bright, Send it back. All laptops that have been returned under DSR and have been switched on dell aren't allowed to sell as new so they go on the outlet.

The 6820 heatsink issues aren't on eveyr unit and choosing a different chip alleviates the problem altogether if its such a concern. My own chip is on the warm side, maxing 93 degrees but has a max difference of 2 degrees between any of the cores. Again, dell outlet have a full worldwide warranty so if you have ANY problems, send it back and they replace :D I'm simply sticking some thermal grizzly on mine to drop temps and that'll be me happy as larry :D

Back
Top Bottom