1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Buying advice (Interface card question)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by blackster, 15 Jul 2006.

1. blackster

Hitman

Hi Everyone, I'm looking at buying a cheap dell laptop (Inspiron 1300) but the trouble is that the machine does not come with a PCMCIA slot, and has a "Pc Express port" or something, I've never heard of this type of port before and wondered if it was the new pcmcia replacement.

Now the problem is i have a pcmcia vodaphone 3G card and also a pcmcia wifi card which I use an external antenna with when I'm out on the field to get a decent connection to "the cloud wifi network" as my current acer laptop doesnt pick up wifi signals very well in the car, so I use a small external antenna most of the time connected to the pcmcia card.

So both of the cards i've got are going to be useless, but I was wondering if pc express slot is new, should i go ahead and buy it and buy a new wifi express card (if they are for sale) with an external antenna socket.

Or should i be sticking to laptops with pcmcia? what do you guys think?

2. V For Vendetta

Gangster

its certainly a problem for you, express card is taking its time to get moving however in the long run it will be the defacto and is superior.

3. blackster

Hitman

is there anything else that i could use with the dell that i could plug an external antenna into?

4. V For Vendetta

Gangster

I think dell have just released something like what you are after in the us

5. blackster

Hitman

such as? i cannot find what you mention, if you wanna pm me the details then that would be great :)

6. V For Vendetta

Gangster

7. Tigjaw

Hitman

That seems to be a shop, you're bound to get he "No Competitors" post from the mods if it's not gone by the time they get here :)

You could always PM him the link.

8. Energize

Caporegime

1. Thats not a shop.
    2. If it was you just quoted it. :p
    3. The PM system is disabled.

You can plenty of usb>pcmcia adaptors.

9. V For Vendetta

Gangster

its the home of the people who invented cardbus and express card technology