laptop hard drive clicking

Associate
Hi i have an ibm thinkpad x41... from the day i bought it (about 4 months ago) the laptop hard drive clicks regularly, even when its just sat idle on xp desktop. Someone told me the other day that this is bad, but i just figured the laptop hard drive was noisey... is this clicking a problem? or is it normal?

Suspended
nah it's usual the HD is accessed during idle, depends what you have running/services etc. As long as it's not constantly on or going CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK whilst accessing data and taking ages to copy or crashing Explorer than nothing to worry about. If you're concerned do a surface scan test.

Associate
OP
hard to put a sound into an adjective... but i suppose it must be ok because it doesnt have these other symptoms... it is kinda a clunk though but only when idle. It doesnt bother me. I tried chkdsk and that seemed fine and pcdoctor it passed all the tests... so must be ok.

cheers

Associate
The noise you're hearing is that of the drive arm moving across the platter as it seeks data. It is "normal" for the particular drive in your machine. If the noise doesn't irritate you simply ignore it.

Back
Top Bottom