1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop not finding network cable

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Mud, 2 May 2006.

1. Mud

Mobster

Housemate is trying to connect to our wired network, although we're having no luck. Unlike other laptops I've encountered that have a separate wired and wireless entry in the device manager this one seems to have both on a combined entry...odd. Plugging the network cable in doesn't light up the network LED and the computer gives no acknowledgement, makes me wonder if the hardware is borked. Can't get it to ping the router or any of the other coms, troubleshot the network cable too.

Its set to use wired if a wire is present, and it picks up wireless networks from both neighbours. The laptop is a Toshiba Tecra A5, has some nasty proprietary menus, can't see what I've missed though (if anything). Its all XP home/pro + Toshiba software.

Any ideas? I think the quickest solution is just to get a PCMCIA LAN card for a tenner... :o

2. tolien

Caporegime

It shouldn't show the two as one, even with Toshiba crud (which is mostly not bad actually). What's in device manager (should be at least the wireless card and wired LAN)?

3. Clarkey

Capodecina

sounds to me like there is no ethernet controller. Doesnt make much sense, drivers installed properly?

4. Mud

Mobster

The entries under 'network adapters' are the 1394 firewire adapter and 'Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection'. Initially I didn't notice the forward-slash and thought the wired network adapter was missing altogether...I'm not operating under the theory they're lumped together.

5. tolien

Caporegime

Yeah, that's just the wireless card and firewire ports - either the wired network "card" is screwed, or the drivers are.

6. Mud

Mobster

Damn, that was my diagnosis 24hours back!

Have to talk to Toshiba methinks. Thanks all for your help.

7. dandan556

Gangster

Maybe the ethernet card is disabled in the BIOS, i know my pc has done that to me for unknown reasons. :(

8. Mud

Mobster

First thing I checked, reckons its enabled.

9. AndyC

Gangster

Its not disabled if running on battery like mine is, unlikely but a thought.