Laptop or desktop

Associate
Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section...

I'm at the stage where I need a new machine. I've got an old desktop I build about 6 of not more years ago now - still a fairly beefy machine - 8gb ram, quad core etc but it's getting a little past it.

I'm thinking about either a new desktop or potentially a laptop that I could also use on the desk with monitors etc.

What do I use it for; other than standard computer use it'll predominantly be used for audio works - recording/ editing/ processing (something like albeton live), running VMs and a bit of photo editing.

I'm looking for something fairly powerful with a good decent spec but also don't want to pay through the roof.

Keep to see peoples views on whether a desktop or laptop would be better? I guess the reasons for considering a laptop is portability wise and use around the house...i have little intention on take out of the house.

Thanks

Soldato
Well you'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop, especially of running vm's and you might be able to use some parts from your old one, storage drives, etc. to offset the cost.
What's it's full spec?
Could you use a smart phone /tablet to cover the Portability around the house side of things?

Associate
OP
I think a desktop is probably the answer.

In terms of current spec I've got:

AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition quad core 2.51 GHz
Asus M3N-HT DELUXE
DDR2 8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
x4 500GB disks
There some Creative graphics card in there somewhere too

Associate
OP
what would you're budget be and what is the intended use?

Budget wise, I wasn't thinking anything above £1,200 But I am slightly flexible i.e. I'm willing to pay a bit more of it means that little extra spec.

Usage wise, other than general internet usage, office stuff etc. it will mostly be audio recording via audio interfaces (guitar etc) audio editing and proxessing, basic video editing, and tuning VMs for various testing etc. (I work in IT security)

I used to be well up on all my hardware knowledge etc but it's been years since I've looked into it. I'm a IT security geek now ha

Soldato
you be better off with a laptop if you need to move locations otherwise a desktop(pc or mac) will actually be you best bet if its going to be stationed in one place.

Back
Top Bottom