Laptop Recommendations

Associate
I'm looking to replace my ancient laptop with something a bit nicer. I'm looking at something like a HP Envy 13 or possibly a custom build. The laptop is mostly used for web browsing and streaming but I want it to have enough grunt for the occasional bit of development in Java/Javascript/Python and some light gaming.

At the minute I'm looking for something with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor, ideally i7
16GB Ram - I want to be able to upgrade this in future if needed
512GB SSD
Discrete Graphics (e.g. Gforce MX250)
WiFi 6 compatible

The crucial thing for me in this is that I'd like those specs in the smallest chassis possible while keeping the possibility of upgrading the RAM.

I'd really appreciate some advice on whether these specs are overkill, how important it might be to be able to upgrade the RAM beyond 16GB and any suggestions of models that might fit my bill.

Thanks very much in advance for the help.

Associate
I bought my wife an HP Envy 13 just before Christmas with almost the exact spec you listed (it has a 1tb SSD though). We got it for just under a grand - it's massive overkill for her use (mostly research, assignments and a bit of WoW for me when I can't be bothered going upstairs to my pc, so nothing too taxing) BUT it is absolutely lovely - the screen is incredible, the build quality is outstanding, the keyboard is great, the speakers are surprisingly good. Everything about it is spot-on and though I think she could have made do with something half the price, it feels like we got a real bargain.

Caporegime
I've got a Lenovo Ideapad 5 i4 currently on order, good discounts via stacked 10% off codes.

i5 1035G1, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, WIFI 6, all metal chassis, MX350 GPU, 1080P IPS panel. Without windows it was just over £500. You can customize it with an i7 1065G7 but the i5 seemed the better buy.

Not clear if RAM is upgradeable though as no reviews yet.

Associate
OP
I've got a Lenovo Ideapad 5 i4 currently on order, good discounts via stacked 10% off codes.

i5 1035G1, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, WIFI 6, all metal chassis, MX350 GPU, 1080P IPS panel. Without windows it was just over £500. You can customize it with an i7 1065G7 but the i5 seemed the better buy.

Can I ask where you were seeing that. I could only find an i5 version but it sounds really good :)

Associate
OP
I bought my wife an HP Envy 13 just before Christmas with almost the exact spec you listed (it has a 1tb SSD though). We got it for just under a grand - it's massive overkill for her use (mostly research, assignments and a bit of WoW for me when I can't be bothered going upstairs to my pc, so nothing too taxing) BUT it is absolutely lovely - the screen is incredible, the build quality is outstanding, the keyboard is great, the speakers are surprisingly good. Everything about it is spot-on and though I think she could have made do with something half the price, it feels like we got a real bargain.

Yeah my housemate has one with an older gen processor. RAM can't be upgraded AFAIK but the thing is flipping gorgeous in terms of form factor and that is important to me. Definitely tempted to head down that route. Would love to know if anyone has done anything a bit more strenuous on one of these though.

Soldato

Don't really browse the Laptop forum but hello for HUKD :).

I believe that the memory is 8GB soldered and 8GB dimm with the 16GB spec. onboard. After reading the user guide on the support page it lists onboard double data rate DDR4 and number of slots as zero.

In addition to the IdeaPad 5 i4, Lenovo have an AMD version coming soon but pricing and configurations are not yet listed on the UK site.
https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-5-14ARE05/p/88IPS501392

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah there's a Chinese review video and can't see any sign of a SODIMM skot. On a positive they bench it and get some decent numbers from Cinebench. Thermals look very good.

I'd love an AMD hex core version but with pricing and lead timea unknown it doesn't seem wise to wait.

Just grabbed this myself, same spec, bargain for the price and should run indie games off my steam library quite well.

Caporegime
Just grabbed this myself, same spec, bargain for the price and should run indie games off my steam library quite well.

You seen the 15" AMD version that just came out? I've binned the Intel 14" for some 8c16t AMD goodness!

Bet they release it in the 14" chassis next and I'll have to go through another round of cancelling. Going to get blacklisted by Lenovo!

You seen the 15" AMD version that just came out? I've binned the Intel 14" for some 8c16t AMD goodness!

Bet they release it in the 14" chassis next and I'll have to go through another round of cancelling. Going to get blacklisted by Lenovo!

Yes I did, I have interacted with you on 'that' site ;-p, I was very tempted but really want the full metal smaller chassis, I'm looking for something pretty mobile and light, that is a beast of a chip though, 15w TDP for 8 cores!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ooops sorry I'm not sure who you are on there, my bad.

Your name looks familiar too on HUKD, thing you might have replied vice or versa to me too :)

But yea same boat as you, cancelled 2 so far inc the MX350 deal and now ordered the 4800u deal as a backup just incase the 14" version isnt released in time or without discounts. Incredible performance for the money.

Did you go full specked out 550 pound version?

Caporegime
Your name looks familiar too on HUKD, thing you might have replied vice or versa to me too :)

But yea same boat as you, cancelled 2 so far inc the MX350 deal and now ordered the 4800u deal as a backup just incase the 14" version isnt released in time or without discounts. Incredible performance for the money.

Did you go full specked out 550 pound version?

Yup, full specced out version. Bargain at that price. Hopefully a 14" version will be out though, that would be ideal, or even 13" with the QHD panel.

15" is a bit too big but for the price and spec I will live with it.

Caporegime
Lightroom is my main use, so 16GB RAM was my main goal but the extra CPU power over the 1035G1 is very welcome.

Just seen someone has posted a review of the upcoming 13" and it does come with the 4800U and QHD panel. Looks like another order to be made for me if it comes out soon in the UK.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom