Large number of distracted electric car drivers

Soldato
Mid-00s might have been OK if you were in something cutting-edge in terms of high spec but I imagine the spec on a lot of cars from that era leaves a lot to be desired by modern standards. For example, no smartphones to integrate with or SatNav - OK so the first TomTom came out around that time if you fancied dropping a few hundred notes, but that was just another tiny screen to be fiddling with and hoping it didn't fall off the windscreen. Probably no parking sensors/cameras. Not the biggest losses in the world but maybe no Bluetooth, USB or DAB, so you're relying on FM reception or swapping CDs. Less efficient petrol engines.

I get the school of thought around too many things being hidden behind a touchscreen these days, but for all the 'overengineering' there's also a lot of useful toys we take for granted.
Having seen my neighbor parallel park against my two cars the other night, I am glad for low speed collision avoidance on his BMW saving my cars rear end as he played "bounce off the bumper to squeeze in".

Last edited:
Soldato
I am an Audi owner thus there appears to be some kind of auto pilot that forces the car to tailgate, I put the indicators on but they don't seem to work and however much effort I make to park between the lines the car won't let me...

Soldato
Mid-00s might have been OK if you were in something cutting-edge in terms of high spec but I imagine the spec on a lot of cars from that era leaves a lot to be desired by modern standards. For example, no smartphones to integrate with or SatNav - OK so the first TomTom came out around that time if you fancied dropping a few hundred notes, but that was just another tiny screen to be fiddling with and hoping it didn't fall off the windscreen. Probably no parking sensors/cameras. Not the biggest losses in the world but maybe no Bluetooth, USB or DAB, so you're relying on FM reception or swapping CDs. Less efficient petrol engines.

I get the school of thought around too many things being hidden behind a touchscreen these days, but for all the 'overengineering' there's also a lot of useful toys we take for granted.

Nah nah your not getting this.

I don't like any of that **** on a car.

Man of Honour
Having seen my neighbor parallel park against my two cars the other night, I am glad for low speed collision avoidance on his BMW saving my cars rear end as he played "bounce off the bumper to squeeze in".

Watch to the end. (Not sure if fake or not but I've seen it happen more than once for real).

I've mainly noticed this with those little BMW i3 cars

I don't think this is related to electric cars - certain types of cars seem to attract mainly certain types of drivers - I see a lot of that kind of stuff from other similar size and style cars both electric and combustion.

Soldato
This is why I don't parallel park nice cars. Someone like this is going to come alone, destroy your bumper and leave without saying anything :p

She should just get a smart car and then you can go nose in...

Soldato
Why, when discussing touch screen cockpits is aircon always discussed as something to fiddle with? I pressed the Auto button on mine 8 or so years ago, spent the first couple of trips sorting the temperature and have left it alone since.

because plenty of people might want to adjust the temperature when driving?

whilst i hold out hope, i've not yet met an aircon controller that when you set it to 20 degrees isn't still too cold on a cold day and too warm on a warm day.

going 2-3 clicks on a tactile wheel is a hell of a lot less distracting than trying to do, well, anything on a touch screen.

i'm not against touch screens, certainly for infotainment, but certain functions (read: anything people might want to adjust while driving) should have a physical switch.

Associate
because plenty of people might want to adjust the temperature when driving?

whilst i hold out hope, i've not yet met an aircon controller that when you set it to 20 degrees isn't still too cold on a cold day and too warm on a warm day.

going 2-3 clicks on a tactile wheel is a hell of a lot less distracting than trying to do, well, anything on a touch screen.

i'm not against touch screens, certainly for infotainment, but certain functions (read: anything people might want to adjust while driving) should have a physical switch.

Or just pressing a button on the steering wheel and saying either "I'm hot" or "I'm cold" and the car changes the temperature by 1 degree appropriately.

Soldato
Or just pressing a button on the steering wheel and saying either "I'm hot" or "I'm cold" and the car changes the temperature by 1 degree appropriately.

for that the oracle said it best:

ok google, set temp to 20c
sorry I didn't quite catch that
ok google, set temp to 20c
sorry I can't do that
ok google, set aircon to 20c
searching for aircon by 20c on youtube music

Caporegime
I can't speak for electric cars (even though I have one)

But I used to get tired driving, until I had Mercedes Drive pilot on my last car. That took care of the speed with adaptive cruise control, it could steer around corners, stop and speed up again and change lanes for you.

It made motorway driving a breeze and because you have less to focus on it's less stressful and you arrive feeling fine and refreshed.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
A typical i3 has no extra features above any other typical car that might account for that.
This. My i3 is like any other BMW except that it has a sustainably-sourced eucalyptus dashboard and wool seats. Oh, and it's missing a 3.0 straight six.
Perhaps the slow reaction is the completely useless adaptive cruise control, which disengages whenever it's sunny, or rainy, or cloudy, or dark, or the day of the week has "day" in the name.

Soldato
I was sent a video of a Tesla driver doing something - He had a naked lady straddling him. - from the slurp and slopping it seemed for real. The video also caught another driver passing looking at them with his mouth open.
I wanted a Tesla after I watched that.:D Always check the driver seat if buying second hand.

Back
Top Bottom