Large number of distracted electric car drivers

Soldato
Here's a question - if Tesla or other 'good' autopilot systems are driving for you (mostly...ish) on the motorway, does it actually make those long boring drives longer and boringer? I swear long drives when I'm passenger take longer than when I'm driving!

Soldato
Im in a Model S for the weekend. AutopilotSo far I’m really impressed on motorway and 50mph plus roads, the graphic showing what the car can see matches really well. Clever and does take the effort away so idle chat and music is fine - less tedious than normal traffic type stuff. Bit sensitive in busy areas with bings and bongs and random intervention. Even the wife was getting sick of it.

Soldato
I was sent a video of a Tesla driver doing something - He had a naked lady straddling him. - from the slurp and slopping it seemed for real. The video also caught another driver passing looking at them with his mouth open.
I wanted a Tesla after I watched that.:D Always check the driver seat if buying second hand.

Maybe that's why the seats are GP waiting room grade faux leather.

Soldato
Here's a question - if Tesla or other 'good' autopilot systems are driving for you (mostly...ish) on the motorway, does it actually make those long boring drives longer and boringer? I swear long drives when I'm passenger take longer than when I'm driving!

makes drives more boring and feel longer but feel less drained and fatigued so swings and roundabouts.

Man of Honour

Depends person to person and what kind of roads you are on, etc. personally I quite enjoy long drives as driver or passenger unless it is the same boring urban area mile after mile.

Soldato
This does appear to be a sweeping statement, but I think it definitely is a thing. I've mainly noticed this with those little BMW i3 cars, and I think that's because they're very distinctive. The main thing I've noticed is the driver fiddling about while driving long and doing jerky steering corrections, also being very slow from the lights, as in several seconds stationary on green, then suddenly noticing and zooming off. I've not noticed it with Tesla drivers, they seem to mostly drive well.

Now, I know you get distracted drivers regardless of the power source, but I was thinking that maybe an electric car with lots of technology to assist a driver, and less for the driver to do, is creating a hazard because the driver isn't as involved in getting his/her machine down the road.

Any comments around this?

As a professional driver I can honestly say that in no way is this unique to electric cars.

Back
Top Bottom