Last of the V8s

Soldato
I’ve always loved V8s. My earliest memories of these magnificent engines was the Rover 3500 SD1 my Dad had when I was around 5 years old. Every drive an event, even from the back seat. This was a defining moment in what became my love for cars and in particular the V8.

My first V8 was an E39 M5, a glorious car totally defined by its 5 litre engine... I wish I had never sold it. Next came a warm V8 Audi S5 4.2, followed by a ballistic 5.0 Lexus ISF. Again, something special (in my eyes) that I’d have liked to have kept tucked away, in storage I do not have.

I’ve had many cars in between the V8s, nice in their own ways but I always missed the enjoyment, sound and feeling only large capacity V8s can provide. That brings us to my last V8? Probably. In the new age of electric cars it seems I’ve gone against the grain, one last hurrah perhaps. However, judging by some of the recent movement in the Motors forum lately, I don’t think I am alone :D

So whether you own one currently, are about to pick one up, had one in the past or even just like them, share the V8 love!

Soldato
Nice :)
Might need a new plate though.

I’ve always loved V8s. My earliest memories of these magnificent engines was the Rover 3500 SD1 my Dad had when I was around 5 years old. Every drive an event, even from the back seat.
I remember riding out in my Grandads V8 SD1 back in the mid-late 80's - if the engine wasn't an event, then rest of the car sure was :D
We arrived at one Caravan holiday site, with the car on an RAC truck and the van being towed behind :o:(:D

Man of Honour
Changed this for an Audi S4, nice car but wish I hadnt dropped the V8. Contemplating changing to an E63 or RS6 next year, for the last V8 experience.

ySH9Lty.jpg

Caporegime
Loved the V8 in my old e38 735i although I was always worried about the made from cheese chain guides (ironically the engine never missed a beat in my ownership) even if thrashing it you could barely tell it was a V8 though, it was begging for a better exhaust to release its V8 song although that wouldn’t have suited the car at all.

By far my favourite V8, somewhat unsurprisingly in my case, is the 16 Litre Scania V8 turbo diesel, tremendous power and torque and they sound wonderful, especially with a custom exhaust, thankfully no sign of V8’s dying off at least in trucks, Scania has just released a 770Bhp V8....

Listen to it pull away.... (1:05)

Don
I fell in love with the sound of V8s when we got a Rover P6 3500S when I was 4 or 5 years old. Loved that car as it was also the first car I ever drove (when I was 9).
In my driving life I've had 9 V8s.

2 x BMW 540is
Audi A8 4.2
Lexus GS430
BMW 750i
Jaguar S-Type R
Jaguar XJ 5.0
Range Rover 4.2 SC
BMW 650i

I expect my next car will also have a V8 but it will probably be my last.

Soldato
I fell in love with the sound of V8s when we got a Rover P6 3500S when I was 4 or 5 years old. Loved that car as it was also the first car I ever drove (when I was 9).

2 x BMW 540is
Audi A8 4.2
Lexus GS430
BMW 750i
Jaguar S-Type R
Jaguar XJ 5.0
Range Rover 4.2 SC
BMW 650i

Impressive list of cars, I'm currently looking at getting my first V8, before the combustion engine disappears, and with working from home becoming the norm when Covid finally disappears, for me now is the right time.

So far i'm looking at a Lexus LS460 and a Volvo S80 V8.

Associate
Haven't had a V8 yet; in fact I've only had anything other than a 4-cyl for a year and a half (straight six). I don't think I'll ever get round to selling my Z4; so I'll need to convince the missus to either:

-replace the family car with a V8
-move somewhere with a larger driveway/garage and get a 3rd car :p

Both of those seem unlikely though, so might be a while till I get a V8.

SSO

SSO

Associate

2 x BMW 540is
Audi A8 4.2
Lexus GS430
BMW 750i
Jaguar S-Type R
Jaguar XJ 5.0
Range Rover 4.2 SC
BMW 650i

My next car will definitely be a V8 (SCG 004S) and so will the one after that.

Soldato
Loved the V8 in my old e38 735i although I was always worried about the made from cheese chain guides (ironically the engine never missed a beat in my ownership) even if thrashing it you could barely tell it was a V8 though, it was begging for a better exhaust to release its V8 song although that wouldn’t have suited the car at all.

By far my favourite V8, somewhat unsurprisingly in my case, is the 16 Litre Scania V8 turbo diesel, tremendous power and torque and they sound wonderful, especially with a custom exhaust, thankfully no sign of V8’s dying off at least in trucks, Scania has just released a 770Bhp V8....

Listen to it pull away.... (1:05)

I absolutely love the sound of that :D
Wonderful noise!

Soldato
Haven't had a V8 yet; in fact I've only had anything other than a 4-cyl for a year and a half (straight six). I don't think I'll ever get round to selling my Z4; so I'll need to convince the missus to either:

-replace the family car with a V8
-move somewhere with a larger driveway/garage and get a 3rd car :p

Both of those seem unlikely though, so might be a while till I get a V8.

I went from a 3.0i Z4 to a 2009 2.4i Honda Accord 2 years ago, I miss the car and that beautiful straight six sound.

Caporegime

2 x BMW 540is
Audi A8 4.2
Lexus GS430
BMW 750i
Jaguar S-Type R
Jaguar XJ 5.0
Range Rover 4.2 SC
BMW 650i

All those v8s and not 1 US crate or sports car .

Soldato
I current run two (along with an EV... :))

D5OdXgrWkAEDPNV

1996 Morgan Plus 8 4.6 with 275bhp. This engine is derived from the one in the SD1 that a few posters have mentioned. :)

D4cAi39XoAIhsmO

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 (6.6). I must take some new pictures when the weather is better now that the bodywork has just been sorted.

Associate
Never had a V8. I'm currently on a V6 which I don't think I'll ever get rid of but at some point I'd definitely like to add a V8, possibly in the shape of an Audi R8.

I was going to get a C6 Corvette Z06 when I was in the states, but ended up moving back instead.

Soldato
I've spent most of my driving life with V8s - I've had 2 Jaguar XJRs, a supercharged range rover sport, and I currently have a V8 F150. The latter probably produces about as much power as a 3 cylinder ecoboost, but it still counts, right? :p

Back
Top Bottom