Last of the V8s

Associate
I agree with your sentiments OP :)

About 5-6 years ago I had my first V8, (B6) S4 Avant. If i'm honest, coming from an M3 it was somewhat underwhelming but that might have been the under geared manual box. Torque was plentiful, I always wished I'd had an exhaust mod on it to let it sing a little more as it was quite muted.
44741027935_3711b9d565_c.jpg

Yesterday I picked up my second V8:
50702583612_d82b08d18d_c.jpg

It's everything I wished my first experience was and more. I'm blown away by it. As already alluded to, the time to enjoy engines such as this is perhaps nearing it's twilight.

Soldato
OP
Some great looking V8s!

If i'm honest, coming from an M3 it was somewhat underwhelming but that might have been the under geared manual box.

Indeed, I’ve made similar mistakes in the past. You need to move from an M car to an RS Audi to avoid disappointment.

Your new cars looks to be in fantastic condition. Get used to being on first name terms with your local petrol station :D

While petrol is still ‘reasonably’ priced atm, now is the time to get those V8s guys.

Soldato
I current run two (along with an EV... :))

1996 Morgan Plus 8 4.6 with 275bhp. This engine is derived from the one in the SD1 that a few posters have mentioned. :)

D4cAi39XoAIhsmO

1968 Pontiac Firebird 400 (6.6). I must take some new pictures when the weather is better now that the bodywork has just been sorted.

This is my sort of V8 nice big block.

Got the wife to put on the headphones and ran the truck video - she said it's horrible - told her to wait and as it took off she jumped up and down saying V8 V8 V8.
Took her to Santa Pod in around 1973 when Yanks first came over - she has been a V8 fan ever since.

OcUK Staff
OP im sure I've seen that plate before somewhere

Dunno why, but im thinking Gibbo has something similar ?

Yeah it got me at first but my two plates were:
M3 XSV - Sold car to a mate
G18 WTF - Currently on the Abarth

As per the OP, love the RS4 as an RS4 V8 Avant was right up there, but M5 won it for me but in hindsight the RS4 would have being better choice with the house move and time of year. Still I am not gonna complain the M5 is treating me well and will hold a serious amount of stuff as being able to move most the house (smaller items) using that. :D

Soldato
OP
Heh, I’ve seen you going about town up at Rubislaw I think?

My next car is going to be a V8 I think if the finances ever sort themselves out.

If driving courteously and within the speed limit, then yes probably ;)

The RS6 is generally heard before it’s seen, so I have to be careful...

V8 WTF would definitely work better for me, shame you sold it TomO.

Caporegime
I think this thread should be expanded to V12's as well, I've had i6, V6, V8 just the 12 Cylinder itch to scratch (I can't in all honesty see me ever owning a V10 sans a lottery win! :o)

Yeah it got me at first but my two plates were:
M3 XSV - Sold car to a mate
G18 WTF - Currently on the Abarth

As per the OP, love the RS4 as an RS4 V8 Avant was right up there, but M5 won it for me but in hindsight the RS4 would have being better choice with the house move and time of year. Still I am not gonna complain the M5 is treating me well and will hold a serious amount of stuff as being able to move most the house (smaller items) using that. :D
You should have bagged an e61 for load lugging although having seen your e60 (albeit briefly) I can see why you bought it and I imagine finding an e61 M5 never mind a good one isn't easy.

Soldato
Started with an Audi A8 4.0tdi some time ago which was surprisingly good but maybe doesnt qualify :)

Had a XF v8 a while back too, was alright, but didnt hit the mark

ISF i had up until a few months back was superb, the engine was awesome and everything I wanted from a V8, the rest of the package was not that hot, but that engine, so damn good

Got a 450bhp revised S6 a month or two ago and of course its a different kettle of fish compared to the ISF. Its better in many ways for me but I still miss that 5.0 v8 from the ISF

Maybe I'll try a GSF as it might be the best of both worlds

Same as some others, Im trying to experience more v8's before they are gone

Last edited:
Soldato
Here’s my 1st V8 from almost 3 years ago. Didn’t really like it, traded it for a C250...

vrgqEPx.jpg

got the V8 itch over the summer....

plI7w5q.jpg

xyExpjL.jpg

Love this car! Prefer the more understated look. Although it’s already had to go back for £2k’s worth of warranty work.

Back
Top Bottom