Last of the V8s

Associate
I always said I needed a V8 in my live, you could see the trend starting a few years ago considering EV’s and I had to have a V8 before I couldnt. This was it, loved it to bits, shame I changed job and had to replace it with a diesel.
L6i0PUn.jpg

Associate
I'd love an E63 650i, Just the common issues I've read about scare me and my wallet.
Which one you referring to? The valley pipe was the one I feared the most, when I was researching the car. There is a stent for the valley pipe, what means all you have to do is remove minimum parts to remove the water pump and insert the sent. Instead of stripping down the top half of the engine to replace the whole valley pipe.

Soldato
I still really like these, though I’m not sure i’m brave enough to go RWD with 500hp. Ive got 600hp and 4WD but it weighs almost 2 tonnes!

It is also a heavy car, knocking on 1700kg, but there's more than enough power to overwhelm the rear tyres especially with the standard Pirellis! Quite a bit more power available ala R or SVR I believe, but not something I'm particularly interested in :o

Soldato
I still really like these, though I’m not sure i’m brave enough to go RWD with 500hp. Ive got 600hp and 4WD but it weighs almost 2 tonnes!

With Michelin PS4S they're not as wayward as you might think. Huge grip in the dry and plenty in the wet. You have to try pretty hard to provoke it. Even then dynamic mode allows you a nice amount of slip before intervening.

Caporegime
I always said I needed a V8 in my live, you could see the trend starting a few years ago considering EV’s and I had to have a V8 before I couldnt. This was it, loved it to bits, shame I changed job and had to replace it with a diesel.
L6i0PUn.jpg

I can't believe how well these are aging. That Bangle chap certainly know how to make a car futureproof.

Soldato
OP
It is also a heavy car, knocking on 1700kg, but there's more than enough power to overwhelm the rear tyres especially with the standard Pirellis! Quite a bit more power available ala R or SVR I believe, but not something I'm particularly interested in :o

With Michelin PS4S they're not as wayward as you might think. Huge grip in the dry and plenty in the wet. You have to try pretty hard to provoke it. Even then dynamic mode allows you a nice amount of slip before intervening.

That’s good to know, plus I had no idea the rwd version was so heavy. I think I’ve missed to boat on these now sadly, the new one just doesn’t look as good

OcUK Staff

This, drove one years ago on Pzero, was quite hilarious but the ZF8 does help with putting power down. Remember being out on drives in my SVR when I had it and a guy had a V8S on PS4S and it was damp but he was coping quite well and could pedal it pretty fast. On better tyres the V8S is better, great cars for 30kish to be honest.

I think when the coupe was launched it was then called the R and had 550PS and I think the early examples were RWD and a year or two later AWD became standard for them, then the SVR came along with 575PS, I found mine to be an awesome car, would launch on a Winters wet day on Michelins with zero issues and hit 60 in around 3.3s even in bad weather, epic cars and especially now they are in the 50-60k bracket. They are quite tuneable as well, especially the slower V8 models as all the mechanical hardware is identical I believe so a V8S can be remapped to 575-600PS quite easily, smaller pulleys, meth injection etc and some are running 650-700PS but in all honest I found the SVR with stock power was more than enough for the road, the supercharger gave the car a real over engined feel and had instant response. Driven the newer 450S and R575 models too on a Jaguar day recently, also both great cars, but I still prefer the older styling externally and the SVR's interior.

My mate just got a brand new SVR but he is a bit gutted as unlike mine its far more civilised as in hardly any pops, gurgles and bangs, guess Jaguar had to get a bit sensible and pull them out the tune, or maybe a DPF thing. So around 2018 is probably the best year as I think the tune still has full naughty mode, no DPF and has the updated LED lights and lighter bucket seats, as think its MY19 models that are more sensible on noise front. :D

Soldato
Yeah I had the early rwd R with 550bhp. Hilarious on the pzeros it came on, but great on Michelin's. Can't say I ever wanted for more power really. I lost about £12k on it in two years, hell of a car for £35k or so.

Decided to wait before replacing it properly, but just recently moved to a W204 C63 as a stop gap. Doesn't feel a huge amount slower, but rides pretty poorly in comparison, and highlights how fantastic the Jag ZF 8 speed was.

Associate
I'm surprised we've had no engine shots yet ;)

Luckily, I detailed mine today :)

50723631947_e2a2fd4901_c.jpg

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Here's the best and worst noises the V8 in the E92 M3 can make in the same video :(

After some time out in an M2 I am now back in a V8 in the form of an M5 :) Previously had V8s in Merc S-Class and Audi S6 form too but none as powerful as the M5 so this should be a blast :D

Back
Top Bottom