Last WWI soldiers birthday

Soldato
108 well done to him, quite amazing to think of all the complaints we make about life today, most of us wouldnt survive 5 minutes in the situation that these men were placed in during WW1, shame it took another 56 million deaths during WW2 before the world gained any sense.

fuz

fuz

Associate
Amazing! My great grandfather was at the Somme in 1916 and would be around 115 now, I'll raise a glass to them today

Soldato
Goberpiles316 said:
108 well done to him, quite amazing to think of all the complaints we make about life today, most of us wouldnt survive 5 minutes in the situation that these men were placed in during WW1, shame it took another 56 million deaths during WW2 before the world gained any sense.
Some would argue we still haven't.

Anyway, hats off to him, happy birthday :)

Soldato
Happy belated birthday Mr Patch :)

Goberpiles316 said:

And a shame that "the war to end all wars" wasn't really that :(

Soldato
Happy Birthday to a legend; a man who fought for his country. Not many can say that. Thing that amazes me about his being 108 is that he is surely one of the last people in this country and perhaps the world to have lived in 3 different centuries. :eek:

Soldato
Spamalot said:
WOW, (a far overly used word, but vaild in this case) legend!

I'll drink and talk english in my england shirt at the pub in the sun a free man because of people like him, thank you and happy bday.

Totally agree to that ! Thankyou Mr Harry Patch, Happy Birthday! true legend.

Soldato
OP
Ages ago when I was in my rebellious teenager stage, there was an old boy collecting for the Poppy appeal. He was wearing a Burma Star, I stopped, put all my change in his tin, shook his hand and said "thankyou".

It's old duffers like him, Harry Patch and my old man that we have to thank.

Soldato
Just to be clear, he is the oldest survivor of the trenches but not of the Great War. Britain's oldest man served in the Royal Naval Air Service which joined with the Royal Flying Corp to make the RAF.

Either way,
trink39.gif
Harry.

Back
Top Bottom