LAZY SCROUNGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldato
I agree with the sentiment of the OP's posting, but how is this going to be enforced...

It would surely lead to higher crime and huge unrest.

If you were to believe in the idea of a Big Brother type existence - then maybe this would be a good idea in which to engage in a Police State and further control of civil liberties (just putting it out there :p).

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there's another scheme currently in place where a business will take on someone on trial for a period of time. This person is paid by the JobCentre so the business gets a free worker.

Then, when the trial is over, they rarely keep the person on, and instead get another free worker in.

Yes, me and arknor have just rasied this point. It's called New Deal. Workshy scrotes hate it, but people genuinely after work hate it even more due to it interfering with active and productive job searching.

Man of Honour
That's exactly what I'm thinking, there's very few jobs they can do which won't impact on current work. Perhaps other than street cleaning in certain areas (never happens here) and graffiti removal. But seriously is there anything else? Perhaps we need to build a new dam somewhere job to keep them busy, that'll be cheap.

I'm all for them doing something but I have a feeling it'll be more expensive and simply mean employing more people to train/supervise and ultimately check up on the work.

But if it breaks the cycle of parents not working, then their children not working, and so on, it will be better for the long run that they actually find some work. This is mainly a deterrent, even if it does cost a bit more to begin with.

I think that job recruitment is a joke, and I remain bitter myself and on behalf of those on OcUK who are still searching. Sorry if this is TL:DR (too long don't read), but I have a rant coming up...

I'm now 7 months unemployed. Given that the average working life is 40 years, my 7 months of dole scrounging is almost 1.5% of my career wasted.

Most vacancies were only asking for 4 A-C GCSEs. I have 9 A-Cs, plus 4 A-levels and a B(Eng.) degree in electronic engineering. That wasn't enough because they sought that key thing called "experience". No experience = no job, and no job = no experience. It made me wish that I simply quitted education after I grabbed my 9 GCSEs and went straight to work.

My jobhunting effort was all of the following: 118 job applications submitted, 40 covering letters/CVs posted to individual firms, enlisting on 6 agencies and 3 weeks of voluntary work. Why does it have to be so difficult? I bought my own house 4 years ago, and even that was easier than finding a job. Granted, I have a couple of disabilities which may have put off some employers, but hell, I have my B(Eng.) degree so I am capable, even if only by a small shot.

Another thing - is applying for the local council. Approx 20 of my applications were council-related, which had me shortlisted to 2 interviews and I 'apparently' failed both interviews on the grounds of experience, or lack of. A local friend said that with councils, "it's not what you know but who you know". I asked isn't that illegal? She explained that the council already has someone in mind when a vacancy opens, then they go through the recruitment process to make it appear that they're conducting it in a non-unorthodox approach.

Another rant, was the big international firm, Areva. I had an interview with them for an IT role. The interview panel consisted of the HR manager and my potential manager. They have scheduled interviews over a period of two weeks, for this 1 IT vacancy, and it was only fixed-term for 6 months. Why the hell spend two weeks worth of managers' wages, only to get someone for 6 months?

While it was good experience to get the occasional interview, I found it demoralising when the outcome was fail after fail.

In a dating agency, you walk into the premises, hand them your 'profile', wait 1 week, then date someone for an evening. If the outcome of the date was fail, you move onto persons 2 and 3, then maybe 4th time lucky, you will find romance. Couldn't the Jobcentre Plus take on a similar pattern? The jobcentres would work closely with firms and match-make their candidates. You would be called to interview when a suitable 'date' is matched. The interview itself would be 4 hours of voluntary work at the firm to show them what you are capable of, 4 hours being the similar timeframe to a 'date'. (doing an analogy here). It would cut down on so many man-hours on the recruiting side, and so many man-months of the candidate being a couch potato in the house.

Yes, beating the scroungers mentioned in this thread is one thing, but also, how can we beat the recruitment monkey?

Soldato
Didnt they already do this ? makes good sense but i wonder what they could get people doing ? Cleaning up parks and stuff? litter picking? Im sure it wont work it will he a health and safety minefield.

Could you imagine trying to control 30 white trainer, baseball cap wearing chavs? Chain gang style!!

Litter picking along main roads would be a great idea for them to be fair. I'd also like to see programs like helping the elderly with their shopping + doing their gardening etc in an effort to bring back the respect for the elderly generation which has been lost over the years. Controlling them would be easy as long as you keep mentioning the fact that "you can't afford your white lightning unless you do what I say"

Soldato
I think that job recruitment is a joke, and I remain bitter myself and on behalf of those on OcUK who are still searching. Sorry if this is TL:DR (too long don't read), but I have a rant coming up...

I'm now 7 months unemployed. Given that the average working life is 40 years, my 7 months of dole scrounging is almost 1.5% of my career wasted.

Most vacancies were only asking for 4 A-C GCSEs. I have 9 A-Cs, plus 4 A-levels and a B(Eng.) degree in electronic engineering. That wasn't enough because they sought that key thing called "experience". No experience = no job, and no job = no experience. It made me wish that I simply quitted education after I grabbed my 9 GCSEs and went straight to work.

My jobhunting effort was all of the following: 118 job applications submitted, 40 covering letters/CVs posted to individual firms, enlisting on 6 agencies and 3 weeks of voluntary work. Why does it have to be so difficult? I bought my own house 4 years ago, and even that was easier than finding a job. Granted, I have a couple of disabilities which may have put off some employers, but hell, I have my B(Eng.) degree so I am capable, even if only by a small shot.

Another thing - is applying for the local council. Approx 20 of my applications were council-related, which had me shortlisted to 2 interviews and I 'apparently' failed both interviews on the grounds of experience, or lack of. A local friend said that with councils, "it's not what you know but who you know". I asked isn't that illegal? She explained that the council already has someone in mind when a vacancy opens, then they go through the recruitment process to make it appear that they're conducting it in a non-unorthodox approach.

Another rant, was the big international firm, Areva. I had an interview with them for an IT role. The interview panel consisted of the HR manager and my potential manager. They have scheduled interviews over a period of two weeks, for this 1 IT vacancy, and it was only fixed-term for 6 months. Why the hell spend two weeks worth of managers' wages, only to get someone for 6 months?

While it was good experience to get the occasional interview, I found it demoralising when the outcome was fail after fail.

In a dating agency, you walk into the premises, hand them your 'profile', wait 1 week, then date someone for an evening. If the outcome of the date was fail, you move onto persons 2 and 3, then maybe 4th time lucky, you will find romance. Couldn't the Jobcentre Plus take on a similar pattern? The jobcentres would work closely with firms and match-make their candidates. You would be called to interview when a suitable 'date' is matched. The interview itself would be 4 hours of voluntary work at the firm to show them what you are capable of, 4 hours being the similar timeframe to a 'date'. (doing an analogy here). It would cut down on so many man-hours on the recruiting side, and so many man-months of the candidate being a couch potato in the house.

Yes, beating the scroungers mentioned in this thread is one thing, but also, how can we beat the recruitment monkey?

Sadly your the atypical member of the public who wants a job but can't get one due to the shortage of positions in your area. In Hull where I live, 10% of the population is unemployed and most of them don't even look for work. Most of the companies here are basically "closed door" companies where any jobs and new openings are all dealt with in house. Before I went to university I was in a similar position. I landed a job with the NHS and did that for just over a year before going to uni. Getting that job though was hard due to the sheer amount of people who went for it. The only reason I got in was because I did a lot of research about the position and used it to my advantage in the interview when asked questions.

Sadly all you can do is keep trying. At the job centre they know who actually want a job and who don't. The expression on their faces even changes if your one of the people who actually wants to get into work around here lol.

Soldato
My ex-boss got stung recently actually.

Job centre phones up

'Great news .. Wagamamas restaurant is looking for a dish-washer, they don't even need interview, you can start tomorrow. Minimum wage. 12 hour days. They choose the hours. No benefits. Enjoy.'

My boss

'I was on 65K a year. I'm not going to do washing up. I need to spend the time job searching, I'm a professional IT manager.'

The job centre

'OK you have refused a job, therefore you are not a job-seeker, therefore you get no more job seeker's allowance. hahaha'.

Basically it was a sting .. if he'd accepted the job he'd have not had any time to attend interview for anything decent (wagamamas made it clear 'no time off without masses of notice'). They got him on a catch-22.

Your idiot boss should have swallowed his pride and taken the job then, instead of being a stuck-up **** thinking he's too good for that. No wonder the nation's in the toilet.

That's if this post is even true.

Thanks James for the reply. I guess the problem is the ratio of the area's population relative to industry. Talking of the NHS, I'm going for a vacancy there at the moment, to a be a 1st-line tech. Because I was a 1st-line tech in my old job too, I have higher hopes for this vacancy than normal.

Soldato
There's a scheme now called Recruitment Subsidy... Where the DWP pays employers £1000.00 to employ people who have been out of work for more than 6 months. They have to offer the employee 26 weeks of work for a minimum of 16 hours a week. There's also a £1500.00 pot per employee to pay for 'in work training'.

How many businesses will end your temporary contract on week 27... only to repeat the process all over again. I wonder?

The reasoning behind this is that it's to encourage employers to recruit people 'without them loosing money in the first month whilst you are learning the job'.

Basically it's a bribe to employers to take jobseekers off the dole for 26 weeks. My opinion of this is that it's wide open to abuse.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.s=sl&r.lc=en&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1083983180

Last edited:
Caporegime

This is normal. Most council jobs are filled internally before they are even advertised.

They advertise externally because legislation (I believe) forces them to. But they generally already have someone for the job.

Soldato
Your idiot boss should have swallowed his pride and taken the job then, instead of being a stuck-up **** thinking he's too good for that. No wonder the nation's in the toilet.

What? Why would a qualified professional take a job at random instead of searching for a decent one?

Nix

Nix

Soldato

This is someone who's coming to terms with losing their 'status', wage and self-affirmation. You're then asking them to add insult to injury and let what remains of their pride take a fatal blow?

I hope you're never in such a position to understand the 'cracks' so intimately.

The above story is likely to be true because I've heard similar ones myself which I know definitely happened. I myself, after graduating university was eventually forced through the humiliating ordeal that is 'New Deal'. I gained absolutely nothing through it - in fact, I was often correcting the idiocy of those trying to teach the programme - and it complete disregarded the fact that I'd already done a similar programme through university and to a much, much higher level.

I kid you not, they expected you to do word-searches for words like 'interview' and 'prospect' and also answer multiple-choice questions such as this little gem:

1. It's the night before your interview, do you?
(a) Go out and celebrate with some friends with drugs and alcohol?
(b) Prepare what you're going to say, wear and where the interview is located?
(c) Rape a tramp?

Needless to say, the whole ordeal was humiliating and completely counter-productive. They expected you to search and apply for jobs on computers which posed a serious security-risk and were intolerably old and useless. My time truly would've been better spent at home, where I could apply in peace without the annoying stereos of chavs distracting me.

Of course, if I didn't attend this 'course' (it does not deserve such a title!) my benefits would've been cut and at the time I had debt-collectors harrassing me on a daily basis. I was at breaking-point. A friend very shortly after went through the same process and very nearly went mad.

You're between a rock and a hard place. The system is geared at only 'helping' the complete wastes of society that cannot or will not help themselves. As a graduate, I did not need to spend over a month of my life being pandered to about the fact it's important to iron your clothes and rest well before an interview.

It's not as simple as simply swallowing pride. In the truest sense of Catch-22, the system is illogical and mad.

It's all well and good providing these platforms for certain demographics, but for professionals and well-educated people alike - especially in times of a recession - alternate systems need to be in place.

To those still struggling: I had exactly the same problem after graduating: no-one wanted to know as despite having worked part-time since I was able, I lacked the 'full-time' experience. Qualifications counted for nothing. I eventually found work in a bookies, where I remain today and I absolutely hate the job but it's leaps ahead of being forced back through the humilating lunacy that the job-centre's creating. It very much seems that as soon as you sign on, you're tarred with the same brush. You're scum and you know nothing. It's wrong.

Soldato
Stupid Conservative propaganda for Daily Fail readers that hardly even benefits the economy.

This is getting boring now.

Ok the Mail is full of tosh, but dismissing anything and everything that hints at an attempt to change what everyone accepts is a ****ed up system as "stupid" is stupid in itself.

Back
Top Bottom