Learning to drive: Petrol vs Diesel

Associate
You don't need that much more throttle on a petrol car tbh. The best way to know how much clutch/throttle you need is to feel the engine through your foot - you can feel the judder if you're not giving enough gas. Every car is different - for example, the 1.0 fiesta I learnt in needed a good amount to pull off, but my mum's 1.4 corolla can move off quite easily without any throttle.

Remember, the idea of passing your driving test is that you should be able to handle any car from a G-Wiz to a Merc GL down any public road safely and efficiently.

Soldato
I learned in a gutless 1.6 astra then had a shot of my mates tdci 130...ended up wheelspinning through 1st and into 2nd as it was a steep hill I thought I needed more revs!

I'd just go for it, as long as you control it when you stall and don't do it tooo much I wouldn't see it being an issue.

Soldato
I can sympathise that you might feel daunted about this, but as stated above, you'll be surprised how quickly you adapt to a new car when you are ready to drive on your own.

One thing I do if I'm borrowing a company hire car that I haven't driven before is to do some checks in the car park. Use the clutch and gas to just gently "feel" the biting point, do it a couple of times if you feel the need, and also get yourself up to 5/10 miles an hour and just see how the brakes handle.

As an aside, I belive the "proper" routine in terms of driving tests for moving off is to give the car a small amount of throttle, so I would be wary of trying to move out without any pressure on the accelerator regardless.

The other thing that is fantastic for practising your clutch control is doing something like a parallel park going back up a hill - you have to control everything via the clutch, and it will get you familiar with the car very quickly indeed.

Either way, all the best, and safe driving!

Soldato
if you're ready for a driving licence, you're ready to drive a diesel and petrol. Or there would be seperate fuel licences much like we do for fail gearboxes and manuals.

I never had any trouble driving a petrol, it's second nature after about 20 minutes of getting used to it.

Associate
I learn in a petrol corsa but have insurance on my dads 307 (provisional) and i have had know real trouble switching between the two in terms of clutch control.

Associate
Hi guys new member here!

I passed my test up here in glasgow yesterday in a 207 1.6 diesel so i was over the moon at that. Problem is my parents car is a rover 25 1.6 petrol and I had a shot at it today and it was hard man. I learned to move away from rest totally with the clutch and feeling for the bite on the 207 but I just can't feel the bite at all on the rover, so having to add the gas at the same time is stall mania. God know's how i'll reverse haha.
Worse thing is, the clutch pedal on the rover is rather sticky so it kinda jumps when i pull it up instead of just rising smoothly like the 207's did.
I'm going out with my dad in it tomorrow though - try to get a bit of confidence pulling away from rest with it.

Soldato
You can't feel it through the pedal,surely you feel the car move a bit or the dash rise? Even see the rev counter dip a wee bit is how I check.

Older cars do have heavier clutches,my dad laguna one was really heavy compared to the astra I learned in. Add in a rather 'take you pick' gear change due to worn out bits makes fun driving.

Soldato
It really is concerning that people are being classed as fit to drive on the road when they haven't even been taught basic clutch control.

When I learned to drive, it was possible to pull away using just the clutch, but I was taught how to properly balance the clutch and accelerator so my ability was easily transferrable to other cars

Associate
It really is concerning that people are being classed as fit to drive on the road when they haven't even been taught basic clutch control.

When I learned to drive, it was possible to pull away using just the clutch, but I was taught how to properly balance the clutch and accelerator so my ability was easily transferrable to other cars

Plus how do these people even do their hill start?
In a derv you still need to balance the throttle and clutch for a hill start, at least the one I had on my test I did.

Soldato

When I learned she parked up and told me to pull away then stop. Then pull out,pass a parked car and pull back in......after I pulled out she told me to keep driving into an NSL road :(

Scary stuff but I understood exactly how cars worked at that time.

Soldato
You'll eventually 'feel' the car and get used to it. I drove an automatic focus for a year, got a 525D se manual and then Ibiza FR 1.9Tdi manual so all either auto or diesels but recently drove 2 petrols in the space of an hour (shabby clio 1.4 and okish 1.6 megane) was a bit tricky at first as the clutch on the clio was dead and engaged almost only on full release and the megane had little bite point feel and the lack of torque and speed (compared to my last 2 cars) was an eye opener on both cars but i got over it quickly :)

Soldato

That's the thing, instructors don't teach about balancing the clutch and throttle during manoeuvres and pulling away (even on Petrol cars, which I THINK the focus I learnt to drive in was0 I'd imagine it adds to the 'complication' for the driver.

Parking and manoeuvres I can almost understand, but it's an awful way to teach pulling away.

I managed to pass my test with zero minors doing it that way. It was only the other day when I was thinking about what driving habits I was taught me in lessons that I still use for day to day driving and I realized that I have developed the 'skill' to balance the throttle and Clutch without really being taught it. Proves to me that being 'Test Standard' doesn't really mean a thing!

Soldato
My instructor taught me just that - how is teaching fundamental car control an awful lot to teach? It's a basic skill and is very easy once you understand how it works and get some practice - it shouldn't be a challenge for anyone with a license.

Associate
Learning to drive to pass the test and learning to drive once you have passed is an entirely different scenario.

I got taught in those new diesel corsas and took lessons with my dad in my sisters 1.6 focus petrol...after figuring out the clutch isn't as forgiving you should be able to feel it out with 5 minutes of being in the car. I wouldn't stress too much about it, just feel for the bite, do what you were taught to do. And good luck.

Back
Top Bottom