Learning to play the Guitar

Soldato
OP
LOL im so confused already!

Dont understand the music at all :(

Surely this has to be easy?

8.gif

Just playing a riff or two would inspire me!

Andy

Soldato
The bottom line is the string closest to your head. The fat one - E. The 0 indicates you don't have to fret. :)

The 5 half-way through the bar indicates 5th fret on the D string. See what I mean?

Nix

Nix

Soldato
e
B
G
D
A
E

E is the thickest string with the deepest note, facing upwards when playing. e is the highest note and thinest string, nearest to the ground when you're playing.

Whenever you look at tabs, the tab will be in the same format as above.

Associate
E very (fattest string closest to your head)
A dult
D og
G rowls
B arks
e ats (thinnest string)

That's how I've learnt it :D Only, in tab form it's in reverse;

e
B
G
D
A
E

Last edited:

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I've been teaching my flatmate how to play from scratch :)

Managed to teach him which string is which, to the point he'll tune my guitar for me :p

Taught him some chords too: G, Am, E, D, C, Cadd7 & 9 etc etc, trying to teach him B and F atm but he finds them hard.

Soldato
OP
Flying_V said:
I found my current teacher from here and he's a top bloke, highly recommended! He charges £25 a lesson and its been really good for my playing. He's in the Berks, Bucks area if anyone needs a teacher :)

OUch, does he come to you for £25 a lesson?

Andy

Associate
He would, but I come to him. I guess it is expensive but I don't feel like i'm being ripped off. We often go over our 1 hour lesson time as he's trying to explain modes again to me :confused:

Sol

Sol

Associate
-=BAF=-AXE said:
LOL im so confused already!

Dont understand the music at all :(

Surely this has to be easy?

8.gif

Just playing a riff or two would inspire me!

Andy

Just break everything you play into individual chunks. In the tab shown play the 3(G)-2(B)-5(G)-2(E)-4(F#) slowly on its own, then play the next bit, then join two bars together and play them etc etc. You'll get most things playing this way eventually.

Good/stupid way to remember the names of the strings are Eddy Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddy :D. First Eddy is the thickest string.

Last edited:
Associate
when i learned beat it many moons ago (actually about 4 months lol) i found it easier to play the 5 on the D string as the G open, and the two 5's on the A string as the D string open :) - will certainly make it easier to learn to you get used to using all your fingers

Associate
I am learning at the moment too (there seems to be a lot of OcUKers doing this at the moment).

I am slowly learning chords - that part is fairly straight forward - but going between them is almost impossible to me at the moment - in fact my hands do the opposite of my brain, I guess it will come.

Can some of you clear somethinig up about Tablature.
Obviously looking at that particular tab, something is missing isn't it ?
On some I have seen you can actually see the chords written on top that you have be on to play that part of the tab.
Is this the best way of learning Tab, by doing the required chord, rather than just learning where to put your finger on each note.

Hope this makes sense.

Soldato
Pinkeyes said:
I am learning at the moment too (there seems to be a lot of OcUKers doing this at the moment).

I am slowly learning chords - that part is fairly straight forward - but going between them is almost impossible to me at the moment - in fact my hands do the opposite of my brain, I guess it will come.

Can some of you clear somethinig up about Tablature.
Obviously looking at that particular tab, something is missing isn't it ?
On some I have seen you can actually see the chords written on top that you have be on to play that part of the tab.
Is this the best way of learning Tab, by doing the required chord, rather than just learning where to put your finger on each note.

Hope this makes sense.

it really depends what you're learning!

if you're learning something like "knockin on heavens door" by guns n roses, dont know if the original has finger picked parts in it :o or the beginning of "cryin" by aerosmith then you're just picking the notes of the chord so having the chord above it is helpful because you can just go through it easily.

if its solo stuff then forget the chords just use whatever feels right!

Last edited:
Associate
Flying_V said:
We often go over our 1 hour lesson time as he's trying to explain modes again to me :confused:

Hmm, now where's Andelusion with his explanation that he sent me ages ago? It's the easiest to understand one I've read yet (and I genuinely mean that). :)

Soldato
OP
OK so last night and tonight are the first time ive played
in a while, and there is one thing that never changes

My bloody fingers hurt LOL, only another week or two of
pure finger pain hey hehe

Andy

Soldato
tTz said:
Hmm, now where's Andelusion with his explanation that he sent me ages ago? It's the easiest to understand one I've read yet (and I genuinely mean that). :)

Oohh :D That's reassuring, cheers.

Feel free to send that to Flying V if he wants, it's only a rough thing I did in Word in about 5 minutes though :p And tis uber cheesy: "So.. what's a mode?" >.<

Associate
-=BAF=-AXE said:
OK so last night and tonight are the first time ive played
in a while, and there is one thing that never changes

My bloody fingers hurt LOL, only another week or two of
pure finger pain hey hehe

Andy

try play more frequently, like half an hour of a day, youll improve much faster than just having 1 big session

everybody's fingers hurt - deal with it! :D

Soldato
I've started playing so much more now that i should be revising for my uni final exams :o

Foo Fights - My Hero, that's quite an easy one to play :)
Incubus - Drive, that's also relativly easy (though i've only just started attempting it)

Back
Top Bottom