Leaving cpu pins exposed to air

Associate
Ok, need a bit of advice.

Had to RMA my ITX motherboard after it developed an unfixable fault, I have a feeling I’ll just end up getting a replacement ITX board from ASUS/Overclockers....but, honestly, I’d rather get a crosshair impact instead (but don’t have any options to get one shipped to me as the replacement), since it has troubleshooting features my old ITX board just did not have (even some features the manual said it DID have, like bios flashback)

So we’ve dismantled the system and removed all the components, but, i couldn’t find the small plastic tray the cpu was in inside it’s box when it was delivered months ago, so right now, it’s just stuck to the cold plate on the cooler (being held on by the paste), see attached:

But since it could be several weeks before my replacement board arrives (unless i buy a new one, and chances of that are slim), is it a good idea to leave the chip’s pins exposed to the air for that long?

Soldato
They're exposed to air also with that plastic cover of retail box.
It's not any hermetically sealed thing.
Resisting oxidizing is also reason for gold coating in pins...

Associate
CPU pins are gold-plated, and gold is pretty much impervious to everything, so it will be fine. You might want to cover it so it doesn't get dusty though.

Associate
OP
Yeah, we still have the original box for it (paid for the cpu only, but it still came with an air cooler), i just don’t really have anything i can put it in that would protect it.

sigh i really, really don’t want to use another ITX board, but at the moment, looks like i might not have a choice. Damn it.

The main issue stopping me from getting a different board is what to do with the replacement that OC/ASUS will most likely send. I can’t really sell it on eBay since i wouldn’t be able to handle warranty returns, at least, that’s the counter argument I’m getting.

Really starting to wish I’d just ordered a crosshair impact when i had the chance.

Last edited:
Soldato
More concerning is where you leave it put away somewhere where it can't be damaged, back in the box if you still have it.
This.

You're brave for just leaving it on an AIO too, one small movement and that tubing goes it's likely R.I.P cpu too. Just put it in a box out of the way.

Also a bit concerning if that's a ryzen chip and you've literally ripped it out of the socket of the board without using the arm?

Last edited:
Soldato
This.

You're brave for just leaving it on an AIO too, one small movement and that tubing goes it's likely R.I.P cpu too. Just put it in a box out of the way.

Also a bit concerning if that's a ryzen chip and you've literally ripped it out of the socket of the board without using the arm?

Sometimes with socketed cpus they just come with the heatsink/block etc.. if not twisted off instead of just pulling, not good practice i agree and best time to take it off is when you just shut down and its warm. If it was an lga cpu (but it wouldn't happen with one)i would've said whatever but a pga cpu is prone to damage especially if left belly up like that. As far as oxidation i've got cpus in my collection from the 70s/80s with pins shiny as day one.

Associate
Ouch. If the paste has set, it's going to be a pain to get it off the cooler.

Try a hair dryer to warm up the paste and remove the cpu carefully. Put the cpu in a small box so the pins don't get bent and tie a food bag over the end of the cooler so it doesn't get scratched.

Associate
You shouldn't have any problems due to the CPU pins being exposed to the air but should leave it somewhere safe where it cannot get damaged until your new motherboard arrives.

Back
Top Bottom