Leaving eggs at room temperature

Soldato
Hi guys. I took 3 eggs out of the fridge yesterday afternoon but didn't end up using them to make scrambled eggs and so was going to cook them today instead. They're still in the shells at room temperature. According to google, leaving eggs for more than 2 hours after taking from the fridge can be hazardous and they need to be thrown. I'm not worried about binning 3 eggs but wondering if that's being overly worried unnecessarily and if they'd be ok, or if you would say I should throw them?

Pet Northerner
Don
I leave eggs out for days / weeks, we don't have blistering ambient temperature but do have higher standards of eggs here.

You can always do the old test of filling a tall glass or jug with cold water and if the egg sinks, it's fine.

Soldato
OP
I leave eggs out for days / weeks, we don't have blistering ambient temperature and higher standards of eggs here.

You can always do the old test of filling a tall glass or jug with cold water and if the egg sinks, it's fine.

But it's different if the eggs have been refrigerated and then left at room temp. So I'm not sure if thr egg sink test applies.

Associate
It seems fine to me, especially the temperature was not too warm yesterday and today. Also, do a bit test as @montymint suggested should help.
I personally would break them one by one in a separate bowl smell if they've gone bad.

Soldato
OP
This is what I'm getting from egg safety sources on Google.

'After
an egg is refrigerated, it must be kept at that temperature. "A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria that could contaminate the egg," according to the United Egg Producers association. "Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours'

Pet Northerner
Don
But it's different if the eggs have been refrigerated and then left at room temp. So I'm not sure if thr egg sink test applies.

Test should still be fine, the test picks up air that's permiated into the egg over time - giving you an indication of freshness. It'll be fine.

Another obvious test is just to smell them as you're scrambling them. If they're off they'll stink.

Soldato
OP
Test should still be fine, the test picks up air that's permiated into the egg over time - giving you an indication of freshness. It'll be fine.

Another obvious test is just to smell them as you're scrambling them. If they're off they'll stink.

Well they're certainly all sinking. Best before date is 25th June and they sink with the wide end facing up which is normal for it's age. Oh well, I'll take that as being ok to eat.

Soldato
Why put eggs in the fridge, do they put them in fridges at supermarkets, no so my advice is dont tbh cos when u wana cook em they need to be room temp or they dont cook as well if frying em. I personally keep em in a cupboard so cool and in the dark out of the sunlight.

Soldato
Don't keep your eggs in the fridge, it's unnecessary. They don't at the supermarket and neither does the chicken. I was unaware about the fridge advice from sweating which I assume is a a condensation issue. So I get that bacteria can form and could get into the egg. Personally I wouldn't worry about it but I keep chickens and have eggs out on the side for weeks without eating them.

Soldato
OP
Well It's due to available space. Cupboards are full and I keep them in the fridge because I've already got enough things out on the worktop.

My understanding though is that eggs last longer in the fridge. However I just googled that and apparently they could actually last less time if put in the door of the fridge (which is where I put mine), because of the temperature changes due to constant opening and closing of the door. . Apparently they need to be at the back of the fridge to last longer. But I used to put eggs at the back and they always cracked and oozed yolk.

Soldato
For years we have religiously left eggs on the worktop in an egg holder never refrigerated. We always consume by the date on the egg though. They aren't even kept in the fridge in a supermarket either.

Soldato
We keep eggs in the fridge, but only because we have a large full-height fridge in an otherwise quite small kitchen, so it's the best use of space. No need to refrigerate.

But, you shouldn't move between fridge and room temperature for the reasons quoted above. The sink test won't work for bacteria, as that's different from decomposition.

Tbh, though, it seems pretty unlikely to be problematic to me: anything that gets condensation on will potentially allow bacteria to grow, including refrigerated fruit left out. I'm sure we'd all still eat that.

Also, on the subject of the sink test, classic egg testing thread (no, you don't crack the egg into the water to test freshness :D )
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/eggs-still-safe-to-eat.18563492/

Soldato
We keep eggs in the fridge, but only because we have a large full-height fridge in an otherwise quite small kitchen, so it's the best use of space. No need to refrigerate.

But, you shouldn't move between fridge and room temperature for the reasons quoted above. The sink test won't work for bacteria, as that's different from decomposition.

Tbh, though, it seems pretty unlikely to be problematic to me: anything that gets condensation on will potentially allow bacteria to grow, including refrigerated fruit left out. I'm sure we'd all still eat that.

Also, on the subject of the sink test, classic egg testing thread (no, you don't crack the egg into the water to test freshness :D )
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/eggs-still-safe-to-eat.18563492/

Fruit doesn't sound like a good comparison for problems of getting wet. They've been getting wet the entire time.

Eggs have a porous shell that allows air and moisture to pass along with anything else small enough.

Then there's the kind of bacteria associated with fruit vs eggs.

Caporegime
Hi guys. I took 3 eggs out of the fridge yesterday afternoon but didn't end up using them to make scrambled eggs and so was going to cook them today instead. They're still in the shells at room temperature. According to google, leaving eggs for more than 2 hours after taking from the fridge can be hazardous and they need to be thrown. I'm not worried about binning 3 eggs but wondering if that's being overly worried unnecessarily and if they'd be ok, or if you would say I should throw them?
maybe if your american.....

you never saw eggs without refrigeration just sitting on a shelf in a supermarket? do you think chickens lay egs directly into a fridge?

don't trust google american eggs aren't the same as ours

In europe it's illegal to wash eggs so they still have the cuticle that protects them, In america it's different and their eggs are washed by law

The egg cuticle is a protein layer that covers the surface of the egg and fills the pores that allow air inside for the growing chick. The cuticle prevents bacteria from entering the egg and forms its first line of defence against infection.

Eggs have a porous shell that allows air and moisture to pass along with anything else small enough.

only in america, we are not americans, they wash the protective layer away, we don't

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The sink test won't work for bacteria, as that's different from decomposition.

Exactly, that's what I was saying earlier, that this seems to be a different problem from the normal air getting into the shell and making it float.

maybe if your american.....

you never saw eggs without refrigeration just sitting on a shelf in a supermarket? do you think chickens lay egs directly into a fridge?

don't trust google american eggs aren't the same as ours

In europe it's illegal to wash eggs so they still have the cuticle that protects them, In america it's different and their eggs are washed by law

only in america, we are not americans, they wash the protective layer away, we don't

Are you saying because our eggs aren't washed and still have the protective cuticle that they can't sweat and allow bacteria to contaminate? I know it's fine to leave eggs at room temp that have never been refrigerated, but in my case, it was leaving at room temp for more than 2 hours after having been refrigerated.

As it happens, I cooked and scrambled them yesterday, no smell to them at all and I'm still alive. :D

Back
Top Bottom