Leaving eggs at room temperature

Caporegime
This is what I'm getting from egg safety sources on Google.

'After
an egg is refrigerated, it must be kept at that temperature. "A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating the growth of bacteria that could contaminate the egg," according to the United Egg Producers association. "Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours'

Dry youreggso it doesn't go mouldy, or just don't eat the outside

Associate
First time I've heard of anyone keeping eggs in the fridge, out of curiosity do you put your potato's in the fridge ?

Permabanned
Not read every post.

Eggs arbt refrudratied in shops nor potatoes. So no dont do it.

Fridges with egg trays are for other weirdo countries where they process them differently

Soldato
First time I've heard of anyone keeping eggs in the fridge, out of curiosity do you put your potato's in the fridge ?

Next time you buy some eggs have a look at the packaging. They've always said to refrigerate them when storing at home.

I figure this is obvious, a) they're not stored on a supermarket shelf anywhere near as long as you keep them at home, b) the ambient temperature of the supermarket will be considerably lower than at home - yes this will vary depending on time of year. So you'd probably get away with it during the winter, but not so much in the summer.

I would guess they last longer if stored in the fridge too. Again not really an issue if you're consuming them all within a few days of purchase, but the use by date for me tends to be a good 2 weeks away from date of purchase.

Soldato
There is nothing strange about putting eggs or potatoes in fridge, sometimes it’s just for convenience, out of the way e.g

And by the way potatoes and eggs are kept in slightly chilled environments at supermarket distribution sites before they are delivered to supermarkets.

Soldato
And by the way potatoes and eggs are kept in slightly chilled environments at supermarket distribution sites before they are delivered to supermarkets.

This is true. Eggs are kept around 0C and Potatoes at 10C (or at least they were when I worked for at a Tesco warehouse many years ago)
I never put either in the fridge though.

Juts checked our egg box, it does say to keep refrigerated after purchase and use within 30mins of taking out of the fridge.

Soldato
if you kept them in a nitrogen atmosphere, like some of the packed meats, would this help lifespan ?
potatoes/apples are in stasis in a different atmosphere, I thought, the old potatoes still taste new.

Soldato
yeah nothing wrong with keeping eggs in the fridge....Morrisons Large Free Range Eggs I have in the fridge just now say : Keep refrigerated after purchase, and a bag of Baby Potatoes says : Enjoy for longer when kept in the fridge

Soldato
Potatoes taste horrible if you keep them in the fridge. Something to do with sugar levels.

I sometimes find it takes a couple of days before shop bought ones, which have been kept cool, taste 'right' too.

Iirc, refrigerating can also cause some sort of toxin to build up.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Really? Did your fridge not come with a little egg tray?

I don't keep mine in the fridge, but I know it's quite common.

Associate
Potatoes taste horrible if you keep them in the fridge. Something to do with sugar levels.

Problem I found is that by not putting them in the fridge they end up with trees growing out of them within no time at all :D
In the fridge they last for ages.
But I also remember in the old days when I were a lad we just had them in a big sack in the garage...

Associate
I've had eggs in the fridge for months past their use by date, as with most things, my samsung fridge keeps everything safe for years past their expiation date.

2+ year past the expiration date mayonnaise bottles still taste perfect with no spoilage at all.

Associate
Really? Did your fridge not come with a little egg tray?

I don't keep mine in the fridge, but I know it's quite common.

Not that I can remember, been a few years since its been installed.

As far as eggs go can leave them on the top for months sometimes and there still fine, you do get the odd bad one but no big deal.

As for potato's my mother always used to keep them in the fridge, always used to taste funny.

Associate
The starch in potatoes apparently breaks down into sugar if you put them in the fidge. @I recently remembered to try buying my first batch of fresh potatoes with a pack of Jersey Royals, and while they were ok, I still prefer the longevity of frozen potatoes.

Soldato
One of the more bizarre 'self-reflection' inducing threads where every reader has left thinking "am I the weirdo?" :cry:

I used to keep eggs in the fridge, now keep them in the drawer (lol) beneath the gas hob. Small jersey potatos go in the fridge, but baking potatos go in the cupboard.

Back
Top Bottom