LED monitors burn my eyes. Are there any 1440p CCFL monitors?

Associate
For many years I've happily used an old CCFL monitor. It's fairly low-res but the colours are excellent.

With monitor prices coming down lately, I decided to get myself a new 1440p monitor (this is the ideal resolution for me, based on the type of work I do).

Unfortunately, when I got the monitor home and switched it on, it started to burn my eyes and the skin on my face - it's like my face was being attacked. In total, I have now bought three LED monitors and had to send them all back because they all made my eyes and face burn.

This kind of reaction isn't new for me - I've always been sensitive to certain types of bulbs, including CFL, halogen, and some plasma screens. I guess I can add LED to the list now.

The type of bulbs I have no problem with include incandescent and fluorescent bulbs, plus some plasma screens are OK. (I've also spent most my life sitting in front of CRT monitors with no problems at all.)

As for CCFL monitors - I seem to have mixed results with them. I've used a couple in the past which definitely did burn my eyes. In fact, the first time I ever used a CCFL screen, I had terrible pain in my eyes and started losing my eyesight, it was a few weeks before I figured out the screen was causing it, and when I stopped using the screen the pain disappeared, the rash went, and my eyesight returned to normal.

But the CCFL monitor I use now is absolutely fine, so long as I don't turn the brightness up too high.

In contrast, the LED screens burnt me even with brightness and contrast set to 0% (plus the screen was too dark).

So, having ruled out LEDs, what I'm looking for now is a 1440p CCFL monitor, ideally 28″–30″ (but would settle for 27″). That shouldn't seem like too much to ask, but I cannot seem to find one. It's made more difficult by the fact that vendors (annoyingly) don't tend to list the bulb type unless it's LED!

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Ree

Ree

Associate
should maybe try and get some sort of computer glasses if your really sensitive, just an idea.

Associate
OP
Did you try turning the brightness right down?

Yes, I carefully went through every setting on those screens. Like I said:

the LED screens burnt me even with brightness and contrast set to 0% (plus the screen was too dark).

should maybe try and get some sort of computer glasses if your really sensitive, just an idea.
Nice idea, but I don't want to have to wear something just to look at my screen, I'd be far happier using a low-resolution monitor like the one I use now.

Associate
Can't say I've ever heard of this condition. This might be a long shot, but have you tried the night light feature built in to Windows 10? It's supposed to reduce the bluer, more UV end of the light spectrum. I personally have it on 24/7 and now find my screen much more harsh with it off. There's also the 'eye saver' mode on many newer monitors, which I assume does something similar...

Soldato
Have you spoken with a medical professional about your condition?

The problem is CCFL is a dying tech and all manufacturers seem to be gladly replacing that with LED panels. If you're struggling now to find a new CCFL monitor, imagine what it's going to be like in 5-10 years.

Do you have a smartphone/able to use a smartphone screen? Or even a tablet screen?

Soldato
I'm starting to suffer with fatigue much more now from long use of screens but I can read my kindle for hours without issue so there are some e-ink HDMI screen options though quite limited in capabilities. Dasung Paperlike 3/pro for example if there's not much else available will at least allow email and basic browsing.

Back
Top Bottom