Left meat in car

Soldato
OP
^ Lol. :D Well chaps, I threw the sausages as well. Another waste of a few quid, it's not the first time I've thrown chicken.

Out of interest, in this hot weather, what is an acceptable length of time between coming out of a shop with meat and getting it into the fridge? Let's say you buy the meat and then want to go to another shop for something and you get home about an hour after buying the meat, would that be ok?

Caporegime
^ Lol. :D Well chaps, I threw the sausages as well. Another waste of a few quid, it's not the first time I've thrown chicken.

Out of interest, in this hot weather, what is an acceptable length of time between coming out of a shop with meat and getting it into the fridge? Let's say you buy the meat and then want to go to another shop for something and you get home about an hour after buying the meat, would that be ok?
I’d say 2-3 hours max

Soldato

Depends it'll last a lot longer in a saloon with a separate boot than an estate/hatchback where the windows will warm the car up quicker, we have a coolbox (no need for the freezer packs if you have some frozen veg etc.) for really hot days and just put it in there when loading the boot.

Soldato
OP
I’d say 2-3 hours max

Ok, that sounds good.

Buy a couple bags frozen veg at the same time and wrap it round the meat.Have it in its own bag first.

Yep, that's a good idea.

Depends it'll last a lot longer in a saloon with a separate boot than an estate/hatchback where the windows will warm the car up quicker, we have a coolbox (no need for the freezer packs if you have some frozen veg etc.) for really hot days and just put it in there when loading the boot.

Yeah, mine's a hatchback. Coolbox sounds like a good idea. How long can meat stay in it on a hot day?

Soldato
Yeah, mine's a hatchback. Coolbox sounds like a good idea. How long can meat stay in it on a hot day?

If you have some freezer packs in before you go to the shop it'd be pre-chilled so I would say a mix of chilled and frozen products would be fine for several hours (when we went camping it was easily overnight) so wouldn't worry about calling at another shop on the way home

Soldato
Would you pay like a tenner to not get serious food poisoning? That’s essentially the cost of your items and the cost you’d be writing off.

You should just bin it all

Soldato
1. You’re rubbish with leaving food out. :D

2. I gave myself and my wife food poising from dodgy sausages at the weekend (even though we thought they were cooked properly). I wouldn’t recommend it.

Good job you chucked it all.

Soldato
OP
1. You’re rubbish with leaving food out. :D

2. I gave myself and my wife food poising from dodgy sausages at the weekend (even though we thought they were cooked properly). I wouldn’t recommend it.

Good job you chucked it all.

Yes, I am rubbish with leaving food out, and now the food is going out with the rubbish. :D

Sorry to hear you got food poisoning, not nice I'm sure!

Soldato
I bought 1kg chicken legs, 1kg chicken drumsticks and Tesco reduced fat pork sausages yesterday afternoon and forgot to take them from the car until midday today. All sealed packages but do you think they'd be ok? I usually freeze them.

Lol I can't believe you have to ask. Even in the winter (unless outside temperature is below 3C) , I wouldn't entertain eating them the following day if they'd not been refrigerated.

Soldato
I’d say 2-3 hours max

During this heatwave, if left in the car I'd imagine it'll have started cooking after an hour or so.

As others have said, coolbox, or take it with you. Inside of a car can warm up to something like 40-50 if left in direct sunlight for a while.

Soldato
I left a trifle in the back of the car for a day and didn't risk that, shame as it was my favourite too but not worth the risk. Meat absolutely not no chance I've had food poisoning and I don't recommend it.

Back
Top Bottom