Legal advice - Consumer rights - Used car

Associate
Hi,

I have purchased an approved used BMW X1 from the dealer, in July My car comes with one year approved used car warranty and service pack valid until June 2019

I purchased BMW approved screen wash from same location on 20th January 2018 after getting warning indication for empty screen wash, after one week of topping up the screen wash my front screen wash stopped working – this is in about 6 months of purchase

I booked a service with the dealer where they gave me an estimate of nearly £200 for a clogged up screen wash filter claiming that bacterial build up is not covered under warranty, I also called up BMW customer service and they also told me same thing

Therefore I would like to know

1. Is it correct for BMW to consider it acceptable and normal for an approved used car to develop such fault within 6 months of purchase?
  2. Is it correct for BMW to claim it outside of warranty?
  3. Is it correct for BMW say it acceptable to sell approved used cars that may develop such faults within 6 months of sale and use and following manufactures instruction in using approved parts?

Can someone tell me what my rights are and it is OK for BMW to charge me more than people who have not followed the warranty instructions whereas I did?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/442...ty-axed-supermarket-screen-wash-instead-bmws/

Soldato
It's not really a fault is it?

Assuming they just want to replace the filter and unblock the system?

Must have been two different screen washes that made gel. Heard of it before, never seen it personally.

Soldato
I had the filter clogged on my e46.

I just took the filter out cleaned it.. and overfilled the bottle with house pipe till it was all cleaned.

200 to do this sounds high.

ADT

ADT

Associate
I had the filter clogged on my e46.

I just took the filter out cleaned it.. and overfilled the bottle with house pipe till it was all cleaned.

200 to do this sounds high.

+1 on this one. I did the same on my e46 it was simple but time consuming.

In fact it was the first job I had to do on my e46

Soldato
for a clogged up screen wash filter claiming that bacterial build up is not covered under warranty
Also bm - if it is bacterial you usually see black mold in the filler bottle - have added a dash of disinfectant in the past to fix that, after a flush, as already mentioned.

when changing brands usuaully mix them in a jar, a bit, to see if they are compatible, and also run out the old at high dilution.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for replies
Looks like previous owner may have done wrong mix but that kinda puts a question mark on "approved used car"
Went to another BMW dealer and he quoted £40 less and also said they will usually do it for free if any car sold by them had similar problem in 6 months but the original dealer is saying they don't even cover this problem under warranty even for new car

On the subject of cleaning myself, do I need to take out washer bottle by removing wheel and Wing cover?

Any detailed step-by-step instructions will be much appreciated

Associate
Had the same issue many years ago with my 1 series. Cost me a few £100 as I hadn’t been using BMW screenwash. Bought a big container of the stuff and that listed until I part exchanged the car.

Caporegime
+1 on this one. I did the same on my e46 it was simple but time consuming.

In fact it was the first job I had to do on my e46

You say it i was time consuming, at £80 - £90 an hour labour charges at some garages I have seen, and time consuming meaning couple hours work, plus parts, that could easy rack up close to a £200 bill.

Back
Top Bottom