Lens Dilema

Associate
Oh What to do....I currently have a Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk2 plus a Tamrom 17-50 f2.8. I generally use the Canon when out and about (hard work lugging it around) and then use the Tamron when indoors. However I am considering selling both these lenses and then going for the following setup:

Canon 50mm 1.4
Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6L IS USM
Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro

I am looking at this setup for the purpose of family photos indoors, family photos outdoor especially of MY kids in the park/beach/etc and then the MACRO to just start into the field of things. Also the 100-400 could open up more sports and wildlife choices for me.

I am wondering about the loss of the 70-200 for outdoors as it is great IQ and what sort of IQ would the 100-400 give compared to the 20-700. I know the 50mm will improve the IQ over the Tamron.

Just looking for your thoughts and opinions on this move. Camera is a 60d by the way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The 100-400mm makes sense if you are shooting wildlife, although I would be more tempted to go for the Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm options, especially if you want to photograph birds. The 70-200mm is mostly a portrait type lens, also good for landscape and sports where you can get close enough.

The 100mm macro is an addition for you. You ahve to decide if you want a macro, and then choose a focal length based on your subject. For insects the longer the better because it gives you a longer working distance that wont scare the blighters. For flowers and still life then short works better.

I don't think you should replace the 17-50mm with the 50mm prime. For starters, you are loosing a huge amount of focal length, from 17 to around 25mm is a huge range of different perspectives. Furthermore, you say you want to do family indoor portraits, well the 50mm on crop is going to be far too long for that. Moreover, as soon as you are photographing multiple people you are going to end up stopping down to get them all in focus. I would never want to be shooting a family portrait at f/1.4, or even f/2.8 for that matter. Also, if you are photographing children playing then good focus speed and sufficient DoF are paramount. If anything i would upgrade the Tamron 17-50mm to the Canon version to get better focus.

Back
Top Bottom