1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lens ideas for Food

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by DampCat, 21 Apr 2010.

1. DampCat

Capodecina

Lo

Need a Canon EF mount lens for Food/Still photography. Specifically Editorial, so it will be slightly arty as opposed to Packaging and Advertising. The food wont necessarily be in situ, but could be, and also in a lightbox or in more abstract areas. The focus then should always be on the food, and whilst this can be done in PP, it's a good excuse to buy a lens with a decent DOF and Aperture.

Thus I come to you, fair OCUK.

I need a lens with a nice wide aperture (f2.8->) and possibly Macro, but not absolutely. No specific length but wide shots are going to be less common. Perhaps 24-70, but a Prime lens would also be fine if the close-up quality will hold better. Sharpness is goodness with food.

I dont mind the manufacturer and indeed given my budget i would actively seek a non-canon lens.

As for th emagical number.. £600 ish would be ideal. Second hand is fine.

What do you think? :)

2. p0ss3s3d

Wise Guy

I'd look at these if it was me...

Zooms:
    28-70L (fine on FF not so great on crop)
    24-70L (as above but also designed with the 1.3x crop user in mind)
    17-55 IS (possibly best standard zoom for crop)

Primes (my preference in this sort of range):
    28 f1.8 or 35L
    50 f1.4 or 50L
    85 f1.8

3. Mr Jones

Capodecina

Go for a macro lens, 60mm or 100mm? That way, you have the flexibility of going to a more 1:1 close up when needed or just set the tripod back to fit the image in with a nice DoF/Bokeh.

4. Andy90

Wise Guy

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM is within your budget

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM is just slightly out of your budget - go on you know you want it :)

Both are excellent lenses. Both are very sharp. They both fulfill your f/2.8 criteria. Both are obviously Macro lenses, but are also fairly nice portrait lenses as well.

5. DampCat

Capodecina

Is IS worth £100 do you think? I'll be using a tripod for the most part and £750 is a bit more than i'd hoped. What do they go for 2nd hand?

Edit:
    Sorry.. the 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM is £434 and the 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS USM is £750. Is IS the only difference?

Edit2:
    Also how does the Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro stack up to the Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM? It's about £70 cheaper but still looks kinda solid.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010
  6. Andy90

Wise Guy

The DPreview writeup about the Canon 100mm L series lens is very good. It does however as you mention, question the usefulness of the IS.

I would read the review, which can be found here:-

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/

As you said most of the time you will be using a tripod so IS wouldn't be of much use to you.

The non-L series lens has an excellent reputation. Have a look on Flickr there are quite a few groups dedicated to these lenses and a lot of food pictures too.

7. DampCat

Capodecina

Oh my bad, the 100mm IS USM is L series. I'm going to check local prices for the non L series lens for now, i think. i can always upgrade later :)

Thanks to all 3 of you. Checking the reviews now :)

8. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I'd get the 100mm 2.8 IS Macro if it's my money, yes you can always upgrade later but by not getting it now will give you an itch to upgrade. Save money in the long run by getting it now, your photography will thank you for it too!

9. Messiah Khan

Capodecina

I would probably go for something a bit wider than 100mm for food. Maybe something like Canon 50mm f2.5 Macro.

10. DampCat

Capodecina

Hmmm i have the Canon 50mm 1.8II. I know it's not amazing but it will cover the closer stuff if i need it to for now. If i'm going to invest, I think i'd prefer to get something I dont have at all, which is a Macro lens.

11. olv

Soldato

100mm is going to be awfully long if you have a crop body.

12. DampCat

Capodecina

There doesnt seem to be lot of other options? The 60mm Macro is EF-S and wont fit on my body.

Or my camera. fnarr.

There's a 70mm Sigma I guess but i'd feel a bit like im overlapping my 70-200 L series... even though obviously i wouldnt be. I dunno!

Last edited: 21 Apr 2010