Leon FR to a Jag XF-S as am I mad ?

Caporegime
I guess whether or not diesels sound good is a matter of opinion and personal preference. I love the sound of a nice >4 cylinder diesel. Especially on cold start. Mmmm. :p

80's Merc 5 and 6 cylinder diesels are the best. And big old American I6 and V8 diesels.

Man of Honour
I guess whether or not diesels sound good is a matter of opinion and personal preference

I quite like the sound of mine.

If you want to hear more watch any episodes of Traffic Cops on Channel 5 as they all seem to have N57 engined 3 Series which sound ok too :D

Soldato
Do 6cylinder diesels sound good then? I must admit this wasn't the first image that popped into my head when the OP stated they wanted a 'nice V6', and 'a bit of sound'.

They dont sound as bad as a 4 pot diesel. I've had two cars with a v6 diesel and they do have a warble when revving it a bit, I thought they sounded ok. It doesnt sound good on tick over, although no diesel does and not half as noisy as a 4 pot

Man of Honour
Not enough bass on those youtube videos, I've always quite liked the TDV6 roar in the JLR stuff.

My dashcam has quite a low sample rate, mono, audio never mind the positioning of the camera, doesn't really reflect the sound of my engine/exhaust well at all - even my phone doesn't seem to capture the lower frequency aspect of the sound either.

Also on mine:

Special tuning of the exhaust note provides a pleasantly sporting note at about 2,500 rpm under hard acceleration.

But being a truck I rarely hit 2.5K RPM under normal driving :s even flooring it off the line rarely gets over 2K for any length of time before I get to the speed limit unless carrying a lot of weight.

Soldato
Haha, you can’t just say wrong. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate a decent sounding diesel on tick over. The v6 and straight 6 and v8 diesels I’ve had sound tickity while 4 bangers are generally rattley horrible sounding things.

Caporegime
Haha, you can’t just say wrong. The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate a decent sounding diesel on tick over. The v6 and straight 6 and v8 diesels I’ve had sound tickity while 4 bangers are generally rattley horrible sounding things.
I haven't got time to link 100's of videos. :D

I think its a personal preference thing. But that doesn't apply to Trump, cos he is always right. So again, the gif. :p

I do love me a big of diesel clag.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
To be fair V6 diesel on idle rarely sounds good unless you decat/DPF delete/straight pipe and pretty much any engine sounds better if you do that.

But there are some fair sounding V6 diesels out there especially under hard acceleration.

Caporegime
Bunch of anti clag nazis. :(

I wish 4 cylinder diesels had more soundproofing though. To protect the outside world from the noise as well as those in the cabin. :D

Although I do occasionally still enjoy a very clattery old 4 cylinder diesel on a very cold morning. Not because it sounds "nice" though. No idea why or where that came from. Probably watching too many cold start videos on YouTube.

Back
Top Bottom