• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

let's jump from n side to ati

Associate
Bought an n card two weeks ago (gtx 260), the black screen problem is widely reported by users. My card has this error too, and it is not been sovled since I'd updated card BIOS and the new 191 driver. There is no way to refund it.
another reason, nivda faces a big time problem to carrying out new direct 11 cards.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Which black screen problem is this?

If its the monitor going into standby - drop back to 186.18 drivers and pray nvidia get their act together... if its the hardlock problem - you'll need to either play games with the fan on 100% or modify the fan profile to ramp up more agressively :S

Man of Honour
Theres 2 black screen problems I know of...

-certain drivers especially the new 190 series ones will randomly stop sending a signal to the monitor sending it into standby :(

-a small, but not insignificant, number of 200 series card have a component(s) with a lower than acceptable tolerance to heat - thought to be the VRMs - and not getting sufficent cooling with default fan - generally only happens in left 4 dead and a small number of titles tho - can usually be solved by uprated cooling, a more agressive fan profile or running the fans on 100% duty cycle when gaming.

I've seen the last one on about 2 in ~30-40 cards I've dealt with and seen it reported on these forums about 3-4 times.

Associate
nivda faces a big problem to carry out new gene cards against to HD 5800 series.

I literally have no idea what that means. At least try and post in the English language if you want sensible replies.

My guess is that you are trolling and trying to start another fanboy debate but if not; try different drivers, if that doesn't work, buy something else if you really can't return the card.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm jumping to the N side after being mostly on ATI. No particular reasonn, ATI served me well but I see Nvidia being beaten up a bit and I love siding with the victim. Can't help it.
To the OP, I know in your head your last sentence makes sense, but in reality it makes zero sense. Try rephrasing or summarise (in English) what you meant to convey.

Associate
I've jumped on over. Previously, i've mostly only owned nvidia cards. But after the way Nvidia have been recently, i've gone and ordered two 5850's.

Just thought it was time for me to give ATI a chance, i seem to agree with many of their views on the gaming industry.

Soldato
I'm jumping to the N side after being mostly on ATI. No particular reasonn, ATI served me well but I see Nvidia being beaten up a bit and I love siding with the victim. Can't help it.
To the OP, I know in your head your last sentence makes sense, but in reality it makes zero sense. Try rephrasing or summarise (in English) what you meant to convey.

Lol you are not jumping to the underdog at all they may be in a little trouble atm but they are hardly the underdog.

Associate
OP
anyway, nivda cards have certain problems on GTX 260 275 recently. The reason I post this, is that it's not perfect since I cannot solve it by myself. A good card should run perfectly after coming out from factory.

Soldato
What you say is true but it could have been an ati card that caused you problems what you have atm is a little bit of bad luck as theres much more people enjoying there gtx260's than having problems. I do agree though the latest nv drivers have all been rubbish not sure whats going on there.

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia's recent drivers have been mediocre at best. I don't know why they bother releasing them. May as well go back to the 3 drivers p/year schedule if this is what a regular schedule does to their quality control. Creative's driver team are a talent agency for Nvidia atm.

OP: rollback to 186 drivers, try a different DVI cable and port, etc.

Last edited:
Associate
anyway, nivda cards have certain problems on GTX 260 275 recently.

No, it's the drivers; the 190/191 driver lines are known to have the same intermittent black screen issue you describe.

Coincidence? Almost certainly not.

Did ya even think to try older drivers before making the warranty-voiding, logic-defying move of changing the card's bios? Hell, the card's probably screwed up forever now solely because of your inability to not panic.

I, personally, cannot wait to see what you do when you encounter your first post-jump driver quirk (and ATi have their share of those). Probably shoot it with your dad's shotgun, or something.

Could actually be kinda cool! But just so's we're clear (and I do feel as if I have to be explicit about this next point), a graphics card won't work after you do that either.

Man of Honour
I hope this isn't going to be a new nVidia tactic... degrade the drivers on all older hardware to make people jump to the new cards when they are out...

Back
Top Bottom