Letting Agents and Deposits

Associate
I would have thought that the utility bills is between the utility company and the named person on the bill. It has nothing to do with the actual property. I think the landlord is stringing you along. It has nothing to do with them.
If you had Sky, would they ask for a Sky bill for example, no because it is an agreement between the company and a named individual.

Soldato
In one of my previous residences (student house) it took 4 or 5 months to get the money back, basically they wanted a letter from the new tenants stating that everything was in good condition. Being foreign students they didn't actually start until October.

It wouldn't of taken them 30 minutes to pop over themselves and check it over.

Not only that but by the time the new tenant had moved in the house would have been in a lived in state for quite a while.

Soldato
mcast123 said:
I paid £1500 deposit 12 months ago on a studio in London, I moved out 6 weeks ago.

This is the bill (bear in mind, the flat only needed a minor dusting when I left and absolutely nothing was missing)

Inventory £121
Cleaning £300 (50ph x 3 cleaners for 2 hours) you're kidding right!!!??
Carpet steam clean £230
Missing items £369

They advised me not to attend the final inventory as it wasn't necessary, that was my biggest mistake.

That's weird. That happened to me and I contested the payment and as I wasn't at the final assessment (they didn't tell me when it was) I got it back in full.

Soldato
OK I'm a LandLord;

Basically if the utility accounts are in the landlords name (which is unusual) he has a right to demand that you are paid up before he releases the deposit, if it later transpired that you owed money he'd find it difficult to get this money back. Understandable. If this is the case he could just enquire himself as it's his account.

If however the utility accounts are in the tennants name, even if there is outstanding debt left, he isn't liable and you should expect to receive your deposit without delay.

Skidd.

Soldato
mcast123 said:
I paid £1500 deposit 12 months ago on a studio in London, I moved out 6 weeks ago.

This is the bill (bear in mind, the flat only needed a minor dusting when I left and absolutely nothing was missing)

Inventory £121
Carpet steam clean £230
Missing items £369

They advised me not to attend the final inventory as it wasn't necessary, that was my biggest mistake.

Did you sign an inventory on check in and check out? Did they list the 'missing items' ?

ALWAYS attend the inventory, the agent's client is the landlord, NOT the tennant!

I'd be asking for copies of all receipts (cleaners etc), copies of both the check-in and check-out inventories (if signed - otherwise contest). If it doesn't add up ask for the difference back, or take them to small claims.

I also believe this sort of behaviour contraveins ARLA standards.

Last edited:
Associate
My GF has been having a really hard time with her letting agent. Countrywide seem to employ the most unhelpful and rude women in the country. After she has got her deposit back I am going to stand outside their shop in Edinburgh and hand out leaflets with a list of her bad experiences. I've kept them factual so that people can make up their own minds about whether their conduct has been acceptable, and also so I can't get sued for libel / slander / whatever it is called.

Soldato
In stark contrast, years ago when I rented my first flat through Countrywide I had a very helpful young lady deal with me.

On the second day of the tennancy the front door lock failed and left me locked out, she arranged a locksmith to come out and invited me for a drink in town whilst I waited for him to arrive, needless to say it was a good night! :D

Permabanned
Scuzi said:
The contract mentions nothing about final bills. I have said this to the numpties at the agents and they said that these procedures are 'standard among all letting agents' and as such don't need to be included in the contract. I quite plainly told her she was talking crap and demanded my money but she refused.
wear and tear and every 4 years the place has to be painted and carpet re laid, hence if you stay for 4 years theres nothing they can do about it.

Associate
mcast123 said:

Inventory £121
Carpet steam clean £230
Missing items £369

Isnt it a legal requirement for you to attend the final inventory, otherwise they cant proove they didnt break everything.

Permabanned
This sounds absolutely rediculous and I can't believe you are letting them bully you. As you say, they are just sitting on the money for the interest.

Whatever "standard procedures among agents" are irrelvant, the contract is what you both signed and agreed to.

I would issue them a final warning by letter (registered) stating that the deposit must be returned immediately as all bills are cleared (given proof) and that you will proceed with legal action to reclaim the money plus interest if they don't comply. If no acceptable response, file a claim on that website.

I have dealt with letting agencies in the past and the majority are very unpleasant to deal with. Your experience just reinforces my hatred.

Good luck.

Associate
Lagmeister said:
Isnt it a legal requirement for you to attend the final inventory, otherwise they cant proove they didnt break everything.

A quick question based on this.........we signed a 12 month agreement for our student house on the 1st July 2005, but we are still living here now (moving out next Monday though). There is one or two bits of minor damage done to the property.....as we are technically not under contract, can the landlord charge us for the damage if he cannot prove it was done by us in the 12 months? He has left us with major problems finding a new house as he only told us he is selling last week, when most student start looking for houses around new year :eek: Just want some "compensation" :p

Soldato
Morally you should take responsibility for the damage. Legally, it depends on the contract. If an AST has expired and you have not signed a new one you are in a periodic tennancy and are still responsible for damage to the property. Don't be a child about it, you've damaged someones property and should pay for repairs.

As for the landlord making it difficult for you, as long as he gave adequate notice (a periodic tennancy requires one calendar month) the landlord has done nothing wrong.

Associate
Agents are mostly theives, I've rented a house on two occasions and both times different agents tried to shaft me.

1st time in Kent by claiming I'd taken several valuable items including a lawnmower(the house had no lawn area!), and they wanted to retain the deposit. Luckily I'd got to know the parents of the landlord through the rugby club I played at, and they stepped in.

2nd time in surrey the agents wanted to retain the deposit for cleaning and some other rubbish. THis time I knew the landlord who was a bit embarassed by their actions as in his words I'd "added a load of value to his house by sorting out so much stuff2

Associate
Skiddley said:
Morally you should take responsibility for the damage. Legally, it depends on the contract. If an AST has expired and you have not signed a new one you are in a periodic tennancy and are still responsible for damage to the property. Don't be a child about it, you've damaged someones property and should pay for repairs.

As for the landlord making it difficult for you, as long as he gave adequate notice (a periodic tennancy requires one calendar month) the landlord has done nothing wrong.

It was just an innocent question. There is much more to it than I have explained and don't want to be throwing money away when he will not be lenient from his side!

Back
Top Bottom