LG 17" Gram 2020

Associate
I'm very interested in this laptop, since I love anything super-quiet, lightweight and such a large screen.

Problem is, the latest 2020 version is only available in the US, though I have heard UK people buy the previous LG Gram 2019 from the US and use a UK power lead and it still works.

I think CostCo.com did a special offer recently where it was sold for just $1200, but would they deliver to the UK? Or maybe I can get a mediator from the US, where CostCo deliver it to them, and then the mediator delivers it to me?

Do any of you have any advice regarding this whole topic?

-----------------------------

EDIT: Apologies, I missed the laptop sub-forum. Can a moderator move it over to there?

Associate
OP
Thanks Matt, I'll give them a look.

Also, I read elsewhere: "When you buy products from your US supplier, you must ensure that sales tax is not added to the invoice. You supplier can issue an invoice without sales tax, as long as the address of the buyer is outside the US. Should it happen that you pay sales tax to your US supplier, it can be next to impossible to get that payment refunded."

Do you think PARCL will automatically take that sort of thing into account?

Soldato
Costco US will definitely not ship to UK.
besides that, you'd need a membership to purchase something in CC in the first place.
sales tax removal doesn't seem to be worth it, it'll be about 50 bucks on 1200 USD item, which given you're paying processing fee at exporter, actual shipping, VAT and processing when importing to UK is a tiny portion.

Associate
OP
Costco US will definitely not ship to UK.
besides that, you'd need a membership to purchase something in CC in the first place.
sales tax removal doesn't seem to be worth it, it'll be about 50 bucks on 1200 USD item, which given you're paying processing fee at exporter, actual shipping, VAT and processing when importing to UK is a tiny portion.

Hopefully the PARCL mediator would have a CC membership. Interesting about it only being 50$ sales tax. How did you arrive at that figure; is it just a fixed amount or percentage or something?

I wonder what the grand total will be including import/customs fees. I bet it's a decent chunk cheaper than the £2400 price tag I saw at one site for the same system.

Soldato
you can easily calculate the total landed.
I don't think mediators provide costco membership, but they can usually do assisted purchase on amazon or ebay.

Soldato
Thanks Matt, I'll give them a look.

Also, I read elsewhere: "When you buy products from your US supplier, you must ensure that sales tax is not added to the invoice. You supplier can issue an invoice without sales tax, as long as the address of the buyer is outside the US. Should it happen that you pay sales tax to your US supplier, it can be next to impossible to get that payment refunded."

Do you think PARCL will automatically take that sort of thing into account?
The agent fills out all forms and what not where necessary. You will pay the import/vat yourself when it lands I believe. You can ask whichever seller if it helps, plenty to choose from.

Associate
OP
I don't think mediators provide costco membership, but they can usually do assisted purchase on amazon or ebay.

I'm guessing there'll be at least a few PARCL mediators who have costco membership. CostCo is a big thing in the US.

Anyway, I feel a bit sad, since there was a CostCo deal with $300 off ($1200 instead of $1500) which seemingly only ended a few days ago.

That's under a grand equivalent in GBP for such an incredible laptop (and yep, I checked it was the full i7 10th gen 2020 version). The US are so lucky to get it for that instead of £2400.

I've signed up to the site that advertised that alert, so when one of these deals come through (for that specific laptop), I'll be sure not to miss the next one, and then I'll use that PARCL site as random_matt pointed out to finish the purchase. This seems like the best plan of action for something that could wind up very expensive due to import fees.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom