LG 27GN950

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
@Diplodocus very interesting read, thanks. I guess one of the big concerns with having a moving part inside a monitor is that if it fails it's a serious issue, isn't the warranty only 1 year as well?

Associate
So after testing last night, I can hear the fan only when I have HDR on at 4K, must be the back lighting ramping up.
It is quieter than my PC so I had to right next to the monitor to hear it.

Associate
I also took delivery of mine yesterday. I placed the order on the 5th August which is when it first went up for pre-order, then went to "out of stock" again a week or two ago. I was worried it wasn't going to arrive (murmurs of low supply/delays worldwide) but had the DPD notification Tuesday night and came promptly yesterday. We must be some of the few who actually have one, waspy!

My monitor history over the past few years is: LG 27UK650 > LG 27GL850 > LG 27UK650 > ASUS VG27AQ > LG 27UK650 > LG 27GN950

As you can see I tried multiple times to "downsize" to 1440p to enjoy the higher refresh rate but every time I was drawn back to 4k. After using 4k for so many years, 1440p at this size just isn't "compatible" with me at this size. I really do need the extra screen real estate for work and I don't mind dropping a few settings to game at 4k though I mainly game in window mode anyway. I do not scale the resolution - it runs at 100% and I sit about an arms length away.

I have absolutely no issues with this monitor and I'll be keeping it - the colours are amazing, after a lifetime of 60hz (I think the highest I've ever had was 75hz back in CRT days) the refresh rate bump is noticable for just about everything, no dead pixels, the on screen RGB control for predefined effects is nice but I will probably leave the lighting disabled.

RE: Fan noise - This is hard to judge for me as my PC isn't completely silent, but if I try really hard to listen I can hear 'something', more so if I put my ear around the back right side of the monitor. It is very faint to me, and the only way I can think to describe it is that it sounds similar to a really faint AIO pump on the CPU I used to have, but I feel I'm trying to listen for it because I know there should be something? I knew it had a fan in from some of the very early reviews people were posting up from Asia last month and that didn't stop me.

edit - I also have to say that I don't remember hearing anything for the first few hours of using it yesterday. It might be that it kicks in after a certain amount of time / room temperature / features being turned on, etc. This might be something to play around with.

Frankly having everything this monitor brings to the table at this price point is digusting and I've been waiting for so long for this. I first caught wind of this monitor in December last year and it's sat in my bookmarks ever since so it's great to finally have it!

Congrats! and fully agree, this monitor is a steal! - I wish LG would have released it properly.

Associate
@Diplodocus very interesting read, thanks. I guess one of the big concerns with having a moving part inside a monitor is that if it fails it's a serious issue, isn't the warranty only 1 year as well?

It looks like it's a 2 year warranty with LG according to the literature inside the box.

Can I ask where you guys purchased the monitor from?

I really want to buy the monitor but simply can't find it anywhere.

I don't think we can link to it due to rules but there was only one retailer which had it on their website it in the UK when I was checking but it was only available for pre-order for a couple of days and has been "out of stock" since. I was checking the page every day and got lucky!

Associate
I don't think we can link to it due to rules but there was only one retailer which had it on their website it in the UK when I was checking but it was only available for pre-order for a couple of days and has been "out of stock" since. I was checking the page every day and got lucky!

Ok, what if I would say did you buy the monitor from a 'PC' company out of this 'World'?

Associate
That's what I am hoping, but they don't even have a listing on their website for it.
I read online that they were expected to release them on 1st September, which explains how you got one.

But at this rate, it looks like I might have to look into the EVE monitor which is released at the end of the year.
As it is stating that it uses an LG panel which is probably the same, but also includes HDMI 2.1.

Associate
I have managed to source one from an IT supplier we use at work and can get delivery for next week.
However the price is £800, which to me seems excessive, as £749 seems the normal rate.

I don't know whether to bite the bullet and overpay for the monitor.

Associate
Finally came back in stock and ordered the LG this morning. Was having a real hard time between this and the LG OLDED48C but it's just slightly too big and wasn't sure about possible burn in issues. Have enough left for a 3090 if it comes to it or a 3080 and PS5. Thinking a 3090 is probably a waste of money when they will release a 3080ti later anyways.

Associate
I might be wrong, but does anyone else think the EVE Spectrum will use the same panel as in this monitor?

The EVE does specify that it will contain a 27" LG 144HZ 4K panel.

Associate
Finally came back in stock and ordered the LG this morning. Was having a real hard time between this and the LG OLDED48C but it's just slightly too big and wasn't sure about possible burn in issues. Have enough left for a 3090 if it comes to it or a 3080 and PS5. Thinking a 3090 is probably a waste of money when they will release a 3080ti later anyways.

Where did you order it from?

Associate
The only place in the UK you can get it. That spicy PC store. Would have got from Overclockers if they stocked it. I asked the online chat last week and they said they expected stock today. Got up early and managed to get one.

Back
Top Bottom