LG 27GN950

Associate
They take it now.

Thanks for the info, I will leave it..
I don't want to pay the money now for it to come in stock elsewhere before Overclockers can ship to me.

Also Overclockers are charging £12 for delivery, normally most places don't charge if order is over a certain amount - I don't like paying delivery charges / Like I don't like paying to park.

Associate
Nice work Matt!

Also for those concerned with the fan, I finally heard it in full yesterday after a days full of working, then gaming on it. At the end when the PC switched off, I could hear the fan spooling down.

Associate
As promised the video

Sorry about the shaky hands :p

Hopefully you see the pixel density difference between the 1440p and 4k here.
If you want anything else covered just let me know.

Associate
So I was one of the early adopters and pre-ordered this monitor from that 'spicy tech shop' in the UK and it was delivered to me on the day of release (2nd September).

I am building a PC for video editing and gaming. I'm waiting on release of 3090 cards to compete it.

In addition, I have been a long term Mac user and my mid-2011 iMac is still going strong. So I had hoped to use the LG as a second display for that, especially since I edit photos in Lightroom.

First things first. Setup was relatively easy. Plugged in the mains power and mini-displayport to HDMI from iMac to LG. (obviously can't test PC performance yet but I was leaving the displayport free to hook up the PC later on).

Soon after switching on the problems began. Turns out my iMac is too old to output anything more than 1440p which would be fine but on the LG, it is configured to only display 1440p if connected by HDMI. So since I am going mini-displayport to HDMI I end up with 1080p maximum resolution which my eyes find to be shocking - especially sitting beside a really nice iMac display that is 1440p. So I tried a different cable: mini-displayport to displayport and still only get 1080p, proving it isn't a bandwidth problem of HDMI connection method but configuration by LG. Even if the second method worked, it would not have been preferable since when my PC is ready I would he constantly swapping cables into the displayport.

Unfortunately when I turned on my monitor on 3rd September I have a line of pixelation running top to bottom and another one running left to right across the screen. Where they intersect, there is a small blob of pixelation.

That 'spicy tech shop' are collecting the monitor and have offered a full refund or replacement. They currently have no stock.

I am in a predicament. I wasn't fully happy using it as a second monitor for my iMac as 1080p is just not acceptable for my needs. So having the iMac screen off centre with the preferred resolution makes for uncomfortable (swivel) viewing but having the LG in the centre which would be perfect for the PC means I see 1080p when using my iMac.

I have no doubt I have been unlucky to get a dodgy panel but I don't know what other options there are. LG seemed to tick all the boxes for what I am looking for:
- 144hz
- low response
- excellent colour accuracy
- GSync compatible

I can't see any other monitors at any price that match what LG promised. I expected a raft of new 4K gaming monitors following Ampere release but I can't see any, unless I have missed them.

I am now going to move the iMac to a new desk and get a dedicated monitor for PC gaming and video editing. Thinking of going for LG CX 48 although it is on the large side for a monitor but would be great for gaming. I have put off by this LG monitor unfortunately.

Associate
If someone looks at the reviews from PC World - There is someone with a screenshot of the light bleed and someone else returned one for the same reason..

Are these monitors unusable in a dark room, playing dark games?

Associate
If someone looks at the reviews from PC World - There is someone with a screenshot of the light bleed and someone else returned one for the same reason..

Are these monitors unusable in a dark room, playing dark games?

I didn't get a chance to use it for gaming but after I am refunded for the faulty one I received, I'll be buying something else. I thought the light bleed was quite bad however. I have a photo but cannot figure out how to upload it here.

Associate
I'll be keeping my eye on reviews for this and wait before ordering. It does seem to ticket plenty of boxes for me though.

Out of interest, has anyone mounted on of these on a monitor arm? The vesa mount looks like it is recessed like my other LG monitors, meaning you'd need to use an adapter for some monitor arms.

Associate
I'll be keeping my eye on reviews for this and wait before ordering. It does seem to ticket plenty of boxes for me though.

Out of interest, has anyone mounted on of these on a monitor arm? The vesa mount looks like it is recessed like my other LG monitors, meaning you'd need to use an adapter for some monitor arms.

Anybody recomend a good desk mount for this?

When I had this monitor (for one day - see my previous post on this page) I had it mounted on the PUTORSEN PC Dual Monitor Arm Heavy Duty. They make a single arm version also.

I have to say, it is an excellent piece of kit that I would highly recommend. Unfortunately it has turned out to be a complete waste of money in my situation but not because of the monitor arm itself, which is still excellent and worked perfectly with this monitor (and my heavy iMac).

Associate
When I had this monitor (for one day - see my previous post on this page) I had it mounted on the PUTORSEN PC Dual Monitor Arm Heavy Duty. They make a single arm version also.

I have to say, it is an excellent piece of kit that I would highly recommend. Unfortunately it has turned out to be a complete waste of money in my situation but not because of the monitor arm itself, which is still excellent and worked perfectly with this monitor (and my heavy iMac).

Does the vesa attach fit in the recessed bit without an need for an adapter?

Back
Top Bottom