LG 32LX2R 32" HD LCD

Soldato
My 26" LG had a dvi to dvi lead in a "cables box" in the botom of the tv box so you should be ok ( this small box also had a few other types of cable also)

I believe you can now set the resolution to exactly 1366*768 with Nv cards but dont ask me which driver, but the latest version should do it

Soldato
Another LG 32LX2R owner here :)

Mine is connected up to my HTPC through the DVI port and the bulk of my viewing is done through it. Lots of HD viewing too and I can say, hand on heart, I prefer my HD output to my mum's 32" LCD Sony Bravia, although the Bravia is better for SD stuff.

Had the set for around 3 months now and really can't fault it.

Soldato
I saw the 32" Sammy alongside the LG and I also thought the LG had a much better picture, so much that I put the money I had brought with me to buy the Sammy back in my pocket and am now stuck as to which to get!

Soldato
The LG arrived yesterday,still tweaking it but so far I'm well happy with it.

Not quite sure if I've got 1:1pixel mapping in windows yet though,I must admit the desktop looks pin sharp but the resolution within display properties is reading 1380x768,I've had a fiddle within the advanced options of the driver but the closest I can get is 1368x768.

I've now configured powerstrip to display 1366x768 but windows display properties is still showing 1360x768 and the advanced section is showing 1368x768 so tbh I'm not quite sure what res I'm currently at.

When in windows there are very slight black borders either side of the display so I'm pretty certain that I'm only at1360x768 despite what powerstrip and the advanced timings section of the Nvidia driver are telling me,confusing eh! :confused:

Anyway i'll continue to mess about 'til its right,Otherwise I'm well impressed,was slightly worried that SD tv would look bad as its not really what this kind of set was designed to display but I can safetly say it looks great after some tweaking,HD obviously looks awesome,haven't got around to running any games yet through either through the PC or 360,would like to sort this 1:1 mapping first.

Soldato
smit101 said:
The LG arrived yesterday,still tweaking it but so far I'm well happy with it.

Not quite sure if I've got 1:1 pixel mapping in windows yet though,I must admit the desktop looks pin sharp but the resolution within display properties is reading 1380x768,I've had a fiddle within the advanced options of the driver but the closest I can get is 1368x768.

I've now configured powerstrip to display 1366x768 but windows display properties is still showing 1360x768 and the advanced section is showing 1368x768 so tbh I'm not quite sure what res I'm currently at.

When in windows there are very slight black borders either side of the display so I'm pretty certain that I'm only at 1360x768 despite what powerstrip and the advanced timings section of the Nvidia driver are telling me,confusing eh! :confused:

Anyway i'll continue to mess about 'til its right,Otherwise I'm well impressed,was slightly worried that SD tv would look bad as its not really what this kind of set was designed to display but I can safetly say it looks great after some tweaking,HD obviously looks awesome,haven't got around to running any games yet through either through the PC or 360,would like to sort this 1:1 mapping first.

You do indeed have 1:1 pixel mapping enabled as long as the resolution setting on the TV matches the resolution you choose in windows.

The LG set is set to 1360x768 by default for PC output. You can however change it to 1366x768 yourself. To do this make sure you have DVI-PC input selected and then go to the TV's menu. You should then have a new option called XGA (under screen properties i think). From there you can change the resolution from its default of 1360x768 to 1366x768 or indeed any of the lower resolutions.

For some reason the manual recommends using 1360x768 as opposed to 1366x768. I'm not sure why this is to be honest. Try both out and see which you prefer. :)

Hope that helps matey!

Last edited:
Soldato
GordyR said:
You do indeed have 1:1 pixel mapping enabled as long as the resolution setting on the TV matches the resolution you choose in windows.

The LG set is set to 1360x768 by default for PC output. You can however change it to 1366x768 yourself. To do this make sure you have DVI-PC input selected and then go to the TV's menu. You should then have a new option called XGA (under screen properties i think). From there you can change the resolution from its default of 1360x768 to 1366x768 or indeed any of the lower resolutions.

For some reason the manual recommends using 1360x768 as opposed to 1366x768. I'm not sure why this is to be honest. Try both out and see which you prefer. :)

Hope that helps matey!

Yeah cheers Gordy,at work at the mo but i'll try that later.I've also checked the firmware version via the hidden menu and both are at 3.60 which is pleasing as earlier firmware versions apparently had problems with HDCP enabled dvds over the HDMI port.

Don't really intend to hook a dvd player to HDMI at the moment though as I've heard FFdshow and Theatretek software if configured correctly on an HTPC do an excellent job of upscaling movies etc to HD,not true HD I know as it is scaled but will still be more pleasing to the eye I hope than SD dvd.

I was under the impression the 32LX2R had a vga port which I had intended to use for the 360,it hasn't got one though :( ,but it does have component which is supposedly as good.It seems a shame to waste the hdmi port,maybe I could utilize it by hooking it up to the pc with a dvi-hdmi lead and use the dvi port for the 360 with a dvi-vga converter.

Soldato
smit101 said:
Yeah cheers Gordy,at work at the mo but i'll try that later.I've also checked the firmware version via the hidden menu and both are at 3.60 which is pleasing as earlier firmware versions apparently had problems with HDCP enabled dvds over the HDMI port.

Yep I have 3.60-3.60 here for the firmware too. No problems with HDCP on the HDMI port. :)

smit101 said:
Don't really intend to hook a dvd player to HDMI at the moment though as I've heard FFdshow and Theatretek software if configured correctly on an HTPC do an excellent job of upscaling movies etc to HD,not true HD I know as it is scaled but will still be more pleasing to the eye I hope than SD dvd.

I use an HDMI upscaling player myself. Works fantastically but the output you should get using FFdshow should be better still. PC scaling is always going to be superior to the scalers found in these new upscaling DVD players.

smit101 said:
I was under the impression the 32LX2R had a vga port which I had intended to use for the 360,it hasn't got one though :( ,but it does have component which is supposedly as good.It seems a shame to waste the hdmi port,maybe I could utilize it by hooking it up to the pc with a dvi-hdmi lead and use the dvi port for the 360 with a dvi-vga converter.

Oooh I was under the impression the the 32 incher had a VGA port too! But anyway, the component input is absolutely fantastic for the XBox360 on this set. If I were you I would stick with the 360 on the component input and save the HDMI port for either SkyHD or a PS3 in the future. There will likely be a DVI cable released for the 360 soon I would imagine. Maybe just wait until then and use a DVI/HDMI convertor or something if you really want to use the 360 on it.

Another good option would be to use the HDMI port for PC with an HDMI/DVI cable or convertor and hook up the 360 to the DVI port with a DVI/VGA convertor. The options are limitless, but I honestly think that the component input is perfect for the 360.

Regardless of what you decide to do... Enjoy! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll ceratinly try the 360 via component and if its not to my liking,as you say,I still have plenty of options.

Just out of interest Gordy,are you using an LG dvd player on the hdmi port?I understand that LG,Philips and Denon all have good upscaling dvd players.Would you liken the quality you are getting to the HD demos that are kicking around,I've tried a few of these and they look simply stunning on the LG,if any current dvd player can get anywhere near this quality then I may be tempted to get hold of one.

Soldato
smit101 said:
I'll ceratinly try the 360 via component and if its not to my liking,as you say,I still have plenty of options.

Just out of interest Gordy,are you using an LG dvd player on the hdmi port?I understand that LG,Philips and Denon all have good upscaling dvd players.Would you liken the quality you are getting to the HD demos that are kicking around,I've tried a few of these and they look simply stunning on the LG,if any current dvd player can get anywhere near this quality then I may be tempted to get hold of one.

Yep... The player I am using is the LG DVX9900H.

It certainly improves standard DVD's considerably. When set to either 720p or 1080i they look awesome when compared to SD's 576p. However it is not true HD and at the end of the day what your getting is merely an improved SD picture. You can only polish a turd (meaning SD material) so much. :p

These new upscaling players are fantastic for the price (mine was less than £100) and are an excellent compliment for the new breed of HD LCD's. But it's still not comparable to real HD content. The good HD demos are still far superior.

I bought the LG player as a stop gap until HD-DVD has really taken off and I couldn't be happier. :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I've watched a lot of high def films yet a few weeks ago I was impressed by the picture quality of a football match on sky, everything depends on the quality of the individual thin g you're watching. I've seen hd films no better than dvd and others that look amazing.

DVD's do have the potential to look very good when mastered well and played through a decent set-up.

I personally wouldn't bother with an upscaling dvd player, I don't think the scalers in cheap players offer that much more over the scaler the display has. I had an upscaling player hooked up to a projector and wasn't overly impressed (using a pc with post-processing was a big jump though)

Make sure the screen has a DVI-I port and not DVI-D if you plan on using vga, a lot of people miss that one.

Soldato
Goatboy said:
Make sure the screen has a DVI-I port and not DVI-D if you plan on using vga, a lot of people miss that one.

The LG set does indeed have a DVI-I port so no worries there. :)

I have actually seen a fantastic cable floating around on the net. It splits the digital/analogue signal of the DVI-I port into seperate DVI-D and VGA connectors. It will allow you to connect up both your 360 and PC to the one single DVI-I port without having to mess around changing connections.

The DVI-D will have priority over the VGA, although if the VGA device is already running, it will not cancel it out. Pressing Input and re-selecting DVI will switch you over to the Digital.

Might be worth looking in to. :)

Soldato
GordyR said:
The LG set does indeed have a DVI-I port so no worries there. :)

I have actually seen a fantastic cable floating around on the net. It splits the digital/analogue signal of the DVI-I port into seperate DVI-D and VGA connectors. It will allow you to connect up both your 360 and PC to the one single DVI-I port without having to mess around changing connections.

The DVI-D will have priority over the VGA, although if the VGA device is already running, it will not cancel it out. Pressing Input and re-selecting DVI will switch you over to the Digital.

Might be worth looking in to. :)

Sounds good,i'll be checking those out for sure.

Soldato
ScoobyDoo said:
Why not just plug the PC into the DVI and the xbox 360 into component which should give a better picture also.

That's what he is doing now mate. And the route I use incidently. :)

We were discussing options if he decided that he preferred the look of the 360 over VGA. :p

Soldato
Still haven't got around to setting the 360 up yet,it's still plugged into my pc monitor.Tried a bit of Max Payne earlier on the LG via the HTPC,old game I know but its a bit of an old favourite of mine,it looks amazing on a 32 inch screen and not a hint of motion blur,I think the 8ms rating is pretty accurate.

I've got a dsub-dvi cable handy aswell as a joytech component lead so I'll be able to to make a direct quality comparison between the 2 connection types with the 360. :)

Soldato
OP
Well put down a deposit now with ???? (don't think this is a competitor since they sell tvs/dvds/hifis etc) to receive one of the new batch they are receiving from LG next wednesday. Figured it would be safer waiting for someone getting brand new stock so would have latest firmware and hopefully get 3.6 3.6 So hopefully get it next friday if i'm lucky :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Windle said:
Mmm? TV Tuners built in to a monitor? Surely that's classed as different to an actual tv? Will edit to be safe anyway

I don't thing it is a problem to be honest mate. As far as I know they don't sell the actual same screens here anyway so it wouldn't be considered a competitor. However best to be safe as you say. :)

Back
Top Bottom