LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
I used to set up my parameters with vsync on in nvidia panel and off in game so vsync activate below 48, is that OK?

But fortunately I never have to deal with less than 60fps so I guess the experience will be the same.

I've ordered the Gn on two website, it's not in stock yet. I'll cancel one or another depending on the first who ships it since the payment is made as shippment

Associate
Is there any sort of cable management with these monitors? Doesnt look like it from the images ive seen?

nope, pretty much none. What would you expect anyway?

I'm looking at buying one of these used, are there any specific questions I should ask?

fan noise. You may be sensitive or be using it in an environment different than the previous owner so ideally you could see it in-person.

Associate

Yes the 38gl950g has the build in module.

Really hankering for this monitor but... seems like a bit of a fan noise lottery. Some people have no problems, some people are super sensitive to it. I work from home in a relatively quiet office so I have a feeling I'll be quite sensitive to it. But the specs look great and will go perfect with my new GPU. Hmmm. I guess I might have to try and order it and hope for the best.

Associate
Yes the 38gl950g has the build in module.

Really hankering for this monitor but... seems like a bit of a fan noise lottery. Some people have no problems, some people are super sensitive to it. I work from home in a relatively quiet office so I have a feeling I'll be quite sensitive to it. But the specs look great and will go perfect with my new GPU. Hmmm. I guess I might have to try and order it and hope for the best.

Alternative option is 38GN. I work from home in a quiet environment too. I'm on my 3rd 38GL, same fan hiss on each one but I'm too fixated on keeping this 38" UW to give up, one day I'll open it again to try another cooling solution.

Soldato
Mine is due today, really hoping the fan isn't noisy and I get a good panel, always a lottery with monitors. :rolleyes:
It really was the only one that fitted my requirements and reviews are generally pretty positive, but at the price I hope I am not disappointed !

Associate
I got one of these myself on Monday, no back light bleed and a huge step up from my x34. Cant hear the fan either, need to get your ear right up against the top of the screen to hear it and even then its barely audible.

Soldato
No fan noise, set it up as per the TFT central settings, thought it was a little warm ( I like white not yellow whites) so added back some blue.
I have some very slightly darker at the top and bottom 10-15mm only visible on near white, as mentioned in a few reviews, but its nothing I personally am worried by. The monitor is pretty much for sim racing, i still use the Acer Predator 27" gsync for general use and most other games.
I tried 160hz, but wasn't fond of it, looks better at 144 to my eyes, so thats were it is, with HDR too lift the colours a bit in game (as HDR isnt full HDR on these).
HDR does disable some of the colour and contrast settings so thats an experiment atm.
Here's my little setup (excuse the poor q pic):

dQPFjwU.jpg

Associate
I purchased one of these and it arrived today, replacing a Predator x34a. I loved it for the first 2 hours, then the fan kicked in, even with headphones I can hear the squeel, louder than my PC as its so high pitched, it's horrid.

I have raised a ticket to return it :(. Not sure what to replace it with, might go back to the Predator

Soldato
I think there are two fans in this thing.

if you get to the service menu you can see the die temperature - my seems to hover around the 70c. Presumably this is the temp of the sync module.

in the service menu you can set the monitor to ‘aging’ Mode - not sure what that really means, perhaps some sort of bedding in mode. When I turned it on it opens up another menu showing the status of the ‘main’ fan and the ‘side’ fan. The duty cycle of the main fan ramps up to 89% and you can quite clearly hear the increased roar of the fan (and the die temperature decreasing to the mid 50s)

Unfortunately the hissing noise that I have is still audible even with the main fan going like the clappers - doesn’t seem to change Pitch with the main fan spinning faster. So it looks like it might be the side fan or electronic/transistor noise.

I get the noise whether I have GSync turned on or off in nvidia control panel

Unfortunately as LG don’t recognise that there is an issue I am stuck with it as they won’t Log a fault.

At some point I’ll probably crack this thing open to see if I can zone in on the source of the noise.

Is 89% the speed the fan hits as soon as the module reaches a set temp, or is it speed controlled relative to temp ?
And what temp needs to be reached for it to kick in ?

Soldato
I purchased one of these and it arrived today, replacing a Predator x34a. I loved it for the first 2 hours, then the fan kicked in, even with headphones I can hear the squeel, louder than my PC as its so high pitched, it's horrid.

I have raised a ticket to return it :(. Not sure what to replace it with, might go back to the Predator

Sorry to hear about that :( Was that 2 hours solid gaming or surfing/productivity ?

Associate
Sorry to hear about that :( Was that 2 hours solid gaming or surfing/productivity ?

Bit of a both, it's definately the g-sync fan, I did a bunch of diagnosing before I found this thread last night - the monitor is fine, gets up to temperature (seems to be around 66 degrees give or take) then a fan is kicking in. I power down and after 5 seconds the fan shuts down, if I put my head up to the back it sounds more like a fan, but the moment you move away you can just hear the squel. doh!

Cold boot up this morning, no sound - gets to temp - sound returns. Deffinately going back as faulty. Purchased from OCUK - not had to return anything to them before, should be fine I hope.

Soldato
Yeah mine was bought from here too, I have done a return a few years back (cant remember what but it wasn't a large item), wasn't an issue then, hopefully not still.
Where do you see the temp ?
I am going to be doing a couple of hours gaming later hopefully mine won't be the same !

Associate
Return took 10 seconds which was nice, getting picked up monday.

I am liking the monitor and will use it until then, I really think I might take the lottery and get another.

You need to go into service mode to get the temperate, there's a better explaination in this thread but you turn off, leave it 5 seconds then do L L L R on the analogue stick and turn on the monitor, then when you go into settings you see a different menu.

Running 144hz here also, think I will leave it like that, beautiful screen let down by a crappy stand and a crappy fan if you are unlucky

Soldato
Mine has been on for 4 hours, at least 2 of that gaming, there is warm air coming from the top but no fan noise.
Was yours a whoosh or a whine ? did you try the aging thing posted above and if so did it make the same noise ?

Back
Top Bottom