LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Ye I did try aging it just boosted the fans up to max

It's a whine
Interesting. There are 2 fans, the gsync fan and then the blower fan. I imagine the blower fan will sound more like a whoosh or loud PC fan that's on max and the gsync fan will sound hissy or whiny. I've never heard the blower come on but I'm constantly listening to a "hissing" gsync fan. Do you think it's your gsync fan and not the blower fan?

Associate
Interesting. There are 2 fans, the gsync fan and then the blower fan. I imagine the blower fan will sound more like a whoosh or loud PC fan that's on max and the gsync fan will sound hissy or whiny. I've never heard the blower come on but I'm constantly listening to a "hissing" gsync fan. Do you think it's your gsync fan and not the blower fan?
Definately the g-sync fan. Only time I heard the blower come on was with "aging" also

Associate
I actually took a video of it to see if my phone picks it up - it's not as clear as to human ears but near the end of the video I put the phone towards the back, that's the sound I can hear in the whole office for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2XfKaSKuvk&feature=youtu.be

Yeah can hear that, the one I have is nowhere near as loud need to put my ear to the top of the screen to hear it. Even then its very faint nothing like what you have. I would be tempted to get another as does seem to be pot luck....

Associate
I seem to have a very good one, which I've owned for a couple of months. No fan noise, no dead pixels, no flickering etc.
It is currently for sale on the usual auction site at the mo.

Associate
Well I've just had my third arrive today, either a cluster of dead pixels or dirt under the screen, third one now going back

I am done!
Wow! What terrible luck! I tried 3 GLs and 1 GN. The GL's all had fan noise and I finally accepted 1 of them. The GN had dirt spot under the screen. Have you heard of the AW38 coming out? If I were to purchase today I wouldn't. And I would wait for the Alienware version; it'll probably be the best of them :)

Associate
Wow! What terrible luck! I tried 3 GLs and 1 GN. The GL's all had fan noise and I finally accepted 1 of them. The GN had dirt spot under the screen. Have you heard of the AW38 coming out? If I were to purchase today I wouldn't. And I would wait for the Alienware version; it'll probably be the best of them :)
I think I am going for a Samsung Odyssey :)

Associate
I seem to have a very good one, which I've owned for a couple of months. No fan noise, no dead pixels, no flickering etc.
It is currently for sale on the usual auction site at the mo.

I'm currently swinging back and forth between this and a G9. Do you mind me asking why you're selling it? Would be good to hear first hand accounts from people who have used them.

Associate
Sure. My main reason for sale was to increase my funds to buy a nicer motorhome.
As I now own a nice one, and took the family away for a holiday, and I sold most of my PC, the monitor is hooked up to a low powered sff pc.
So I am undecided to let the monitor go, especially when you get wannabes wanting to offer half what I paid for it.
So I am awaiting to see what Zen 3 and Big Navi will be like, as it looks impossible to get a 3080 by Xmas and keep it.

From what I have heard and seen from the G9, seems quality control seems to be as bad as LG since the pandemic started. Guess this is why I am lucky with the monitor I have with none of the issues others are complaining about.

Associate
For those keeping track - I actually went a picked up a fourth because I am a glutton for punishment. I ordered it somewhere I could collect as opposed to get delivered (after seeing my third be picked up and thrown very hard by the courier that has been delivering them all) this one is fine

Associate
A lot of couriers are heavy handed unfortunately. This is why I won't use them to send such a monitor of this value.
Just not worth the risk, especially as most won't insure it.

Back
Top Bottom