LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Anyone who has one of these able to share their experience of performance please? I'm trying to decide whether I should take the plunge with this monitor but worried about have low frame rates (sub 100). I prefer to play things the highest graphics settings as possible. Currently running a 3900X with a RTX 2080 with a RTX 3080 coming in 2235.

Cheers for the help.

Associate
Would make sense just to look at some benchmarks for a 2080ti at 4k then you can imagine it would be slightly better as less vertical resolution. Obviously depends on the games you play too.

I found a 2080ti couldn't really do 4k 60 at the top visuals without notching things to medium and such but the 3080 I have seems to eat it up both at 4k on my TV and on this monitor on varying standard 'aaa' games.

Associate
Anyone who has one of these able to share their experience of performance please? I'm trying to decide whether I should take the plunge with this monitor but worried about have low frame rates (sub 100). I prefer to play things the highest graphics settings as possible. Currently running a 3900X with a RTX 2080 with a RTX 3080 coming in 2235.

Cheers for the help.

Haha @ 2235, Big Navi might be 3080 performance for 3070 price so keep that one in mind. As for framerate it on what game and what settings. You don't find many benchmarks for the 3840x1600 resolution but I think it's fair to take the framerate from a 3440x1440 benchmark and scale it linearly with pixels; the 38 has 25% more pixels. So if you find a game with that is getting 125FPS on 3440x1440 with a 2080 then you might expect the same game, same settings, same GPU to run on a 38GL at 100FPS. That's my guesstimate :)

Associate
Thanks guys. Keeping going back and forth on this. The monitor I wanted isn't available right now so this the next above it. Bit more than I wanted to spend but noticed a couple of ex display that might be closer to my price range. Keep hesitating.

Associate
Thanks guys. Keeping going back and forth on this. The monitor I wanted isn't available right now so this the next above it. Bit more than I wanted to spend but noticed a couple of ex display that might be closer to my price range. Keep hesitating.

Yeah I have bought ex display and it is a lotttery. However I know some companies charge a carriage fee back etc or you have to pay carriage for back to base if theres no fault and you are just changing your mind. Just bear in mind for a 38 inch monitor - good luck in finding an insured courier.

Some returns are normally within the 28 days - so think dead pixels or other issues however some sites with generous returns ppl treat them like free use monitors - use them and then return within a year and get the money back....

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I have bought ex display and it is a lottery. However I know some companies charge a carriage fee back etc or you have to pay carriage for back to base if theres no fault and you are just changing your mind. Just bear in mind for a 38 inch monitor - good luck in finding an insured courier.

Some returns are normally within the 28 days - so think dead pixels or other issues however some sites with generous returns ppl treat them like free use monitors - use them and then return within a year and get the money back....
I'm definitely losing interest now. Might look for something a little cheaper so I can buy brand new. I had the one I wanted but a screw up meant I lost out on it. Now I'm trying to trawl for something similar and sadly with this sort of stuff I get really obsessive. All I want is a ultrawide for gaming, a good quality one, ideally with gsync

Associate
I have got lucky in the past though. But I found out the hard way that in order to courier the monitors I had to use a service with no insurance. Small monitors are fine though it’s just the larger ones.

the dell 38 gaming monitor is out end of November though

Associate
I have got lucky in the past though. But I found out the hard way that in order to courier the monitors I had to use a service with no insurance. Small monitors are fine though it’s just the larger ones.

the dell 38 gaming monitor is out end of November though
Been looking at the AW3420DW or the ASUS ROG Swift PG349Q - bloody frustrated that I cant get what I want, the LG Ultragear 34GN850. That's my jam

Associate
Day with mine and 4 with mine and 48 hours total panel use running 160hz all the time. No issues at all so I'm pleased as the difference is quite wild compared to x34 with the 1440 vertical. Surprising how much difference the additional vertical space adds.

Associate
The GN is a newer model whilst the GL has been out for a while so its it's on sale at 1300. The GL MSRP was 1700 whilst the GN is 1500 and hasn't been out long enough for it to be reduced. The only objective improvement would be HDR 600 from 400 but it's debatable whether that is noticeable. The biggest difference is that the GN does not have a fan (gsync fan) and that's the reason I'm trying to buy that model as I just couldn't put up with the high pitched whine coming from the fan in the GL.

Associate
I came back here for one last time

Monitor number 5 - manufactured 7/20 was quiet and running fine.... it has just had 2 groups of dead pixels appear. This is the final one to go back, I really really am done.

Those talking about the whine - I feel perticularly qualified to talk on this having had five of these now..... 2 of them the whine could be heard anywhere in the room, the other 3, only when you put your ear up to the top of the monitor

I keep reading about how these dead pixels appear on the LG38 series. Does anyone know why ? Is it the technology ?

Back
Top Bottom