LG 38GN950-B

Associate
LG 38GN950-B

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38gn950-b-gaming-monitor official info en specs

Lets see what we can find out together

3840 x 1600 10bit(RGB444) ved 120 Hz
3840 x 1600 10bit(YUV422) ved 144 Hz
3840 x 1600 8bit(RGB444) ved 144 Hz
3840 x 1600 8bit(RGB444) ved 160 Hz (O/C)
3840 x 1600 10bit(YUV422) ved 160 Hz (O/C)
1ms 144Hz (160 HZ OC)

IPS: Edge-lit
Brightness 450cd/m²
contrast: 1.000:1
color depth: 10-bit (8-bit + FRC)
HDR10 HDR 600
Freesync / g-sync competible

Last edited:
Soldato
Kind of dumb that we still can't have 10bit 144Hz in a monitor in 2020. Come on LG.

Is the price difference between this one and the prior Gsync v2 model worth it? HDR is useless, so that's bunk.

Associate
Well the avg brightness is higher on the GN model and its listed for $200 cheaper in the US. $1599 vs $1799. No G-Sync module = no fan issues, which this thread seems full of.

Another thing, it OC's to 160 and not 175..How many people use the 175hz w/ the sacrifice of image quality? I think the monitor is the sweet spot.

Soldato
Well the avg brightness is higher on the GN model and its listed for $200 cheaper in the US. $1599 vs $1799. No G-Sync module = no fan issues, which this thread seems full of.

Another thing, it OC's to 160 and not 175..How many people use the 175hz w/ the sacrifice of image quality? I think the monitor is the sweet spot.

Brighter, which means a higher HDR value... it's basically useless on a monitor. As for the OC, you still can't go above 120Hz on 10bit as I mentioned which is pretty sad.

That being said I'm not surprised considering LG is selling their 75Hz 38" released over two years ago at STILL over a grand! They're really taking the ****.

Associate
They announced the default price for the monitor in europe on a german site 1599.
i pre ordered it on amazon for 1518 which they cancelled a few days ago lol.

but is should come in june #soon

Source: https://www.prad.de/lg-34gn850-38gn950-details-zu-den-gaming-monitoren/

I've got the 38WN95C on preorder from Amazon for an interesting price, so fear they might cancel it also. Did they give you a reason when they cancelled your order?

EDIT: Also just preordered it on overclockers in case they do end up cancelling it!

Last edited:
Associate
Starting to think this is turning into another 38GL950 launch.

They say June but it won't actually show up unitl Oct/Nov....

So tired of waiting for this monitor.

Associate
What does this have that the WN doesn't?

EDIT: I thought it might be Freesync 2, but the specs dont seem to suggest that? It seems that Freesync 'Premium' is on this panel, which i assume is the latest revision of Freesync.

Associate
GN950 = "Ultragear" Series. Ringlight 2.0, OCs to 160hz. (no speakers)
WN95C = "Ultrawide" Series. Thunderbolt 3 w/ 94w PD and 2x 5w Speakers. (no ring light, no oc)

Same panels: 144hz, 1ms IPS, HDR600.

Freesync Premium Pro = Freesync 2 HDR rebranded

Last edited:
Associate
WHen can we get this monitor? Happy to buy from ocuk

I'm wanting to know this too, so that I can prepare when to be in so I get a few days off work to setup and tinker.
How long is the preorder list?
Would I get this by next week or are we talking weeks...months or who know depending on supplier?

I prefer being able to order and then knowing when it arrives. More and more different models keep releasing, like the 38" LG and the G9 superwide.
I think this may just suit my setup (i7 2600k and Vega 56) for now before doing a system build in 6 months time.
I'm hoping to try my had at some Video Editing alongside my gaming, so think the extra real estate will be useful. Though this is a monitor I keep trying to convince myself the high value will be worth the spends.

Just unsure if to hit the preorder list now or stick with my 22" 1080p a little longer (I know LG and Samsung like to give cashback offers around September time)

So....waffle aside....any ideas on when I could think to get one should I preorder?
(Also does the cash get taken straight away? Or could you change your mind before dispatch?)

Associate
What does this have that the WN doesn't?

EDIT: I thought it might be Freesync 2, but the specs dont seem to suggest that? It seems that Freesync 'Premium' is on this panel, which i assume is the latest revision of Freesync.
freesync 2 has been re-branded as freesync premium pro (also the certification criteria have also been tightened up for all monitors submitted after May2020).

Soldato
I wonder does Gsync vs Gsync compatible have much difference?
I assume Freesync premium would call into the Gsync compatible category when using a freesync monitor with a Nvidia GFX card?

Associate
I wonder does Gsync vs Gsync compatible have much difference?
I assume Freesync premium would call into the Gsync compatible category when using a freesync monitor with a Nvidia GFX card?
sorry for my english, I made a comparison for a few weeks alongside gsync and gsync compatible monitors, to be exact LG34GK950G (gsync), LG34GK950F (gsync compatible), LG34GN850 (gsync compatible nvidia certified).

No difference as regards the quality of work of the vrr (tested with bf5, bf4, cod warzone, Rdr2, gta5, subtr, etc. etc.).
On paper (therefore in a purely theoretical line), the classic gsync with module, having adaptive overdrive, should help maintain low ghosting and a clean image in cases where large framerate oscillations occur, but, I do not have large oscillations of framerates on my pc, I could not appreciate any difference even in this area.

In my opinion, the choice between gsync and gsync compatible offers no difference, you choose based on the price.
Specifically, if you want 160hz on a widescreen, there are 2 panels that I recommend today:
LG34GN850
LG38GN950

The LG38GL950 model with fan-cooled gsync module no longer makes sense to exist or to be purchased, it offers nothing more in the real world, only the fan noise that could annoy you, I think LG will no longer make this panel, it will only make monitors gsync compatible nvidia certificates

Back
Top Bottom