LG 38GN950-B

Associate
Sure, this would be the accepted view for watching HDR video...
... and yet for gaming use specifically i have seen plenty of reviews that suggest a good implementation of HDR600 can provide an excellent visual upgrade vis-a-vis playing the same game on the same monitor in SDR.

Notably, the CRG90 has the same limited panel based local-dimming as the 38GN/38GN HDR1000 vs HDR600)...
... whereas the 38GL does not have any kind of local-dimming, and has a panel brightness only suitable for HDR400 certification.

There is even something to be said for a HDR400 monitor that also meets AMD's requirements for Freesync Premium Pro provided it has been well implemented:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3FXkHzu-s&feature=youtu.be&t=22m45s

I have now had my LG 38WN950-C for nearly a week, my conclusions:
1. arrived in good nick, with no damange or defects, e.g. bad pixels, backlight bleed, peeling layers
2. the picture quality is lovely - at least coming from an AOC Q3279VWF
3. in Farcry5, cycling through SDR > HDR10 > Freesync2 - it is very evident that the HDR modes are a useful and desirable visual upgrade over SDR.
4. maybe a consequence of Freesync2 low-latency pipeline, but farcry5 is incredibly 'smooth' to play even though my underclocked Vega64 must be struggling to push frames at Ultra+native-res!

HDR is not mind-blowing, or awesome, or what the cinema-gods intended, but; clearly better and in no way can it be deemed a non-feature. HDR600[+]Freesync2 in combination is a valuable addition.
n.b. i am talking here exclusively about HDR [gaming], not video or desktop.

Associate
yes, the 3[8]WN is pretty much identical to the 38GN, excepting the the absence of RGB and the addition of USB Type C.

i thought the WN was on sale here, but that's not where i got mine (£1100).

the price should notionally be the same, but seems to fluctaute wildly for both products - probably due to supply issues.

edit - the 38WN is sold here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...ed-widescreen-led-backlit-gami-mo-15n-lg.html

Associate
yes, the 3[8]WN is pretty much identical to the 38GN, excepting the the absence of RGB and the addition of USB Type C.

i thought the WN was on sale here, but that's not where i got mine (£1100).

the price should notionally be the same, but seems to fluctaute wildly for both products - probably due to supply issues.

edit - the 38WN is sold here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...ed-widescreen-led-backlit-gami-mo-15n-lg.html

I can see the 38WN is HDR10. Is that better than the HDR 600? I'm new to the HDR world...

Soldato
Associate
I can see the 38WN is HDR10. Is that better than the HDR 600? I'm new to the HDR world...
Legend largely covers it.

Think of HDR10/HDR10+/DolbyVision as the different API's.
DisplayHDR400/600/1000 as different hardware implementations of the HDR10 API (that focuses on brightness/contrast/colour/backlight).
And since I think Freesync Premium-Pro still uses HDR10, you could think of that as a software implementations of the HDR10 API (that focuses on minimising frame latency in the rendering pipeline).

PC HDR is almost exclusively focused on the HDR10 Api, and monitors like the WN950/GN950 additionally support both the hardware implementation of DisplayHDR600 and the software implementation of Freesync Premium Pro.

Notably - the new Samsung Odysessy G9 also supports the newer (and better) HDR10+ API, although there is no indication yet that this is gaining any traction with either hardware makers, software implementations of the API, or games developers.

Associate
Legend largely covers it.

Think of HDR10/HDR10+/DolbyVision as the different API's.
DisplayHDR400/600/1000 as different hardware implementations of the HDR10 API (that focuses on brightness/contrast/colour/backlight).
And since I think Freesync Premium-Pro still uses HDR10, you could think of that as a software implementations of the HDR10 API (that focuses on minimising frame latency in the rendering pipeline).

PC HDR is almost exclusively focused on the HDR10 Api, and monitors like the WN950/GN950 additionally support both the hardware implementation of DisplayHDR600 and the software implementation of Freesync Premium Pro.

Notably - the new Samsung Odysessy G9 also supports the newer (and better) HDR10+ API, although there is no indication yet that this is gaining any traction with either hardware makers, software implementations of the API, or games developers.

Just as a side note - having owned both the G9 and now the GN950 - I found that the LG's implementation of HDR looked better than the G9's even though it is rated 1000 over the LG's 600.

Soldato
I have now had my LG 38WN950-C for nearly a week, my conclusions:
1. arrived in good nick, with no damange or defects, e.g. bad pixels, backlight bleed, peeling layers
2. the picture quality is lovely - at least coming from an AOC Q3279VWF
3. in Farcry5, cycling through SDR > HDR10 > Freesync2 - it is very evident that the HDR modes are a useful and desirable visual upgrade over SDR.
4. maybe a consequence of Freesync2 low-latency pipeline, but farcry5 is incredibly 'smooth' to play even though my underclocked Vega64 must be struggling to push frames at Ultra+native-res!

HDR is not mind-blowing, or awesome, or what the cinema-gods intended, but; clearly better and in no way can it be deemed a non-feature. HDR600[+]Freesync2 in combination is a valuable addition.
n.b. i am talking here exclusively about HDR [gaming], not video or desktop.

IMO you need HDR1000 (or an OLED) for it to to actually "pop" and be really noticeable.

I'd recommend the opening scenes of shadow of the tomb raider, the torch scene, followed by the outdoor restaurant scene, both blew me away at 4k HDR on my CX48 OLED.

Associate
i disagree, insomuch as there is a world of difference between DisplayHDR1000 and a CX48 OLED

as noted above - both the last two Samsung 49" screens have been DisplayHDR1000 compliant, but there isn't much to differentiate it from a well implemented DisplayHDR600 screen.

your CX48 is clearly leagues beyond a basic DisplayHDR1000 certification.

Soldato
IMO you need HDR1000 (or an OLED) for it to to actually "pop" and be really noticeable.

I'd recommend the opening scenes of shadow of the tomb raider, the torch scene, followed by the outdoor restaurant scene, both blew me away at 4k HDR on my CX48 OLED.

I'm caught in two minds about either the LG CX48 OLED or the LG38 Ultragear screen. Its used for work, light gaming and films. It sounds like i should go for the OLED.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm caught in two minds about either the LG CX48 OLED or the LG38 Ultragear screen. Its used for work, light gaming and films. It sounds like i should go for the OLED.

For movies it's absolutely stunning. I've been rewatching some of my favourite movies, that have been released at 4k HDR, such a satisfying experience. Gaming is flawless, even at 4k60, though need one of the new upcoming GPU's to do 4k120hz, hopefully not too long to wait!

For work, I use my older 27" 1440P for static elements off to the side, and have the OLED for non static elements. Works well for me, though I do turn the brightness right down for work (via the power saving to maximum option), as the OLED is crazy bright when working closer to it.

Soldato
For movies it's absolutely stunning. I've been rewatching some of my favourite movies, that have been released at 4k HDR, such a satisfying experience. Gaming is flawless, even at 4k60, though need one of the new upcoming GPU's to do 4k120hz, hopefully not too long to wait!

For work, I use my older 27" 1440P for static elements off to the side, and have the OLED for non static elements. Works well for me, though I do turn the brightness right down for work (via the power saving to maximum option), as the OLED is crazy bright when working closer to it.

..it would be my first OLED, it would excite me to watch some of my favourite films. Alien and Gladiator 4k first i think.

errrm, static elements? so like work stuff?

My desk is massive, its 100cm deep, so about 3.5 feet. You reckon the work element would get a bit exhausting using the OLED all the time?

Back
Top Bottom