LG 38wk95C... I’m tempted but where’s the competition ?

Soldato
I’m seriously thinking about this monitor - I’d like a 21:9 ultrawide with as much vertical height as I can get (1440p minimum). A triple monitor is out of the question and while I do play the odd game (I’m hoping I can live with the 60hz), I need desktop real estate to maximise productivity (graphics, programming,video editing etc).

Thing is, this is fairly new and I’m not seeing much from manufacturers covering the 3840x1600 resolution. Is there anything else I should compare this to? Is there anything from Alienware or Asus or Acer that I missing?

Does anyone have it? If so, what are your thoughts?

Associate
Interesting, I'd not heard about this monitor and not aware of anything similar to compare it with...

An alternative to consider maybe the 34WK95U-W - it's a slightly smaller package but you'll get 5120 x 2160 resolution which is quite attractive for productivity. There was a fair bit of noise around this particular model just before CES when it was announced and shown off and it's also likely to be available in June (confirmed by @Daniel - LG here)

Soldato
I can't believe this is still 75hz. I'd expect at least 100hz at this point, if not 120.

I've got the previous version of this (38UC99) and it's great. I want to get a second one, and literally the only thing I want more of is refresh rate.

Soldato
There are a few alternatives to consider, although admittedly not with quite the same feature set at the LG:

- Dell U3818DW
- ViewSonic VP3881
- Acer XR382CQK

Haven't used these myself so can't really comment on how they stack up.

Soldato
OP
I knew about the Dell (as a workhorse) but I fancy treating myself for my home-office. Ill read up on the viewsonic and Acer, thank you :)

I hadn't considered a 5k monitor but in a smaller dimension will it look too small sitting from about 50cm away?

Associate
Interesting, I'd not heard about this monitor and not aware of anything similar to compare it with...

An alternative to consider maybe the 34WK95U-W - it's a slightly smaller package but you'll get 5120 x 2160 resolution which is quite attractive for productivity. There was a fair bit of noise around this particular model just before CES when it was announced and shown off and it's also likely to be available in June (confirmed by @Daniel - LG here)

maybe July (knowing shipping) but I have a pre-production sample in the office and it is AMAZING

Back
Top Bottom