LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Permabanned
hello is thier a way for windows to control the CX oled to change input like using cmd command or app? i would like to be able to click a app or run a .bat file to change hdmi1 or hdmi2

Soldato
I've settled on purchasing another OLED to use as a monitor. I had a 65" OLED in my living room for years now and it's been nothing short of exceptional. My current PC setup is one portrait 27" monitors on either side of a landscape 27" monitor.

I have a deep desk, so could easily fit the 48" CX. However I think the 42" would probably be more suitable, unfortunately I don't believe there's a release date for it yet. May take the plunge and just try out the 48", can always return it if I don't like it.

As an existing owner of an OLED I have absolutely no concerns about burn in. I've regularly accidentally left a still image (or a logo etc) on my TV for ages and it's fine, not a single issue whatsoever. I imagine some people have experienced issues but I personally believe it's 99% sensationalism.

I have the 48CX on a desk and it's pretty big close up. I have settled for the following and it works a treat for work and games:

Base Desk - W90cm x D90cm x H75cm
At the back of the desk I have a block of wood as a "monitor stand" (it's an ikea floating shelf) that is W90cm x D25cm x H5cm
The CX48 is on that shelf/riser because I have a Sonos Beam in front, however even if I didn't have that I would still use it

I am very happy with this setup so hopefully this is helpfull for scale - good luck either way!

Soldato
hello is thier a way for windows to control the CX oled to change input like using cmd command or app? i would like to be able to click a app or run a .bat file to change hdmi1 or hdmi2

Well it can be done via mobile phone app, so there may well be an API available. I don't know if it's been implemented for PC yet. Maybe an Android emulator would be a reasonable way to try it?

Permabanned
Well it can be done via mobile phone app, so there may well be an API available. I don't know if it's been implemented for PC yet. Maybe an Android emulator would be a reasonable way to try it?
ive read something about ip control , it can be done with windows 10, i just cant understand yet how to make the program or script, but currently using something that works

ive installed the colorcontrol app from my previous post, it haa a LG controller in it which you can add a shortcut key bind

164815390_10159229629889715_1906143912215099254_o.jpg

then made a powershell script to press the keybind combo which is CTRL+1 then execute the command to switch display mode on windows to display 1 or 2

C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait("^{2}")

C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /internal
Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Windows.Forms
[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait("^{1}")

also did it for display 2

and i use my keyboard to run that powershell script using a bat file because my corsair wont let me run a powershell script directly can only run .exe .bat .cmd

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "D:\hdmi1.ps1"

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Command "D:\hdmi2.ps1"

i think this method can be simplified but curretly working

i only need to press 1 button to change my windows to display 1 or 2 and send command to my monitor to use hdmi 1 or 2

for why i do this is when i watch movies i wanted to use the feature like trumotion and other settings on the LG CX, and for game pc mode i want it all off, so easiest way for me is to attach 2 hdmi cable from the gpu to the Oled

first i was using duplicate mode on widnows 10 so i just press quick button on remote, but windows wont let you turn HDR on if its in duplicate mode, only on extended or use display 1 or 2

Associate
this are the commands to use ip control

https://www.julesbartow.com/Electro...3ZJFjQmWtH-stX8sZ0j2VuUMZGllgRuCksevrQMV7zBlc

or this

https://www.openhab.org/addons/bindings/lgwebos/

maybe thiers someone here good in coding and can may a powershell script to send commands to tv, will keep reading and if i know already will post here, wanted to simplify what im doing to just a powershell script

If you're playing movies from the pc, for example 4k hdr files, then you should look into a piece of software called madvr. It comes with the full version of klite codec pack. It has some of the features you're talking about like smooth motion, not only that it has advanced image upscaling abilities that can really improve picture quality. They sell a prebuilt unit to play blurays with and it costs something like 7 thousand dollars, but you can get the same level of image quality through the software. Definitely worth looking into if you're after the best visual experience.

Permabanned
If you're playing movies from the pc, for example 4k hdr files, then you should look into a piece of software called madvr. It comes with the full version of klite codec pack. It has some of the features you're talking about like smooth motion, not only that it has advanced image upscaling abilities that can really improve picture quality. They sell a prebuilt unit to play blurays with and it costs something like 7 thousand dollars, but you can get the same level of image quality through the software. Definitely worth looking into if you're after the best visual experience.
yes im already using madvr, but its kinda weak on the judder side, thats one reason i also wanted to use the trumotion of the LG oled with madvr, hence im using 2 hdmi out from the GPU to the CX48 so i can have the best on both worlds without pushing to much buttons less work in switching to movie mode or pc gaming mode

currently using Media player classic with madvr and avsync yes it has smooth motion but not enough for me , i think i have very sensitive eyes to judder, i go crazy with this oled, ite has very fast response time that why the judder is more obvious then other types of panels on movies

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I ditched madvr and PC route, went with Nvidia shield and its upscaling is excellent and works with all media files and now just use Plex for all my media playback or streaming services. No need to mess around with codecs, drivers, updates every 5 minutes or messing with settings.

This way I know HDR and Dolby vision is correctly played back something Windows or PC cant do very well if not at all. The inbuilt apps are pretty decent also really and are more optimised with the Dolby vision player built in.

Id love it if someone did an A and B comparison of 4K HDR picture quality between a madvr Vs inbuilt app or Nvidia shield for comparison.

Associate
I've settled on purchasing another OLED to use as a monitor. I had a 65" OLED in my living room for years now and it's been nothing short of exceptional. My current PC setup is one portrait 27" monitors on either side of a landscape 27" monitor.

I have a deep desk, so could easily fit the 48" CX. However I think the 42" would probably be more suitable, unfortunately I don't believe there's a release date for it yet. May take the plunge and just try out the 48", can always return it if I don't like it.

As an existing owner of an OLED I have absolutely no concerns about burn in. I've regularly accidentally left a still image (or a logo etc) on my TV for ages and it's fine, not a single issue whatsoever. I imagine some people have experienced issues but I personally believe it's 99% sensationalism.

Have you done any full colour test patterns to check for burn in? My OLED in my living room is showing burn in, I've had it for probably 4-5 years or so and have always been very careful with it.
I'm not saying it's easy to see and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the TV at all, but it is there.

Now, I don't go looking for it and it doesn't bother me, but I bet there are quite a few sets out there with the issue but the owner is none the wiser. It's interesting, because actually, if you can't notice it, does it even matter? But that's a completely different topic, especially when you're discussing expensive displays :)

My issue is that as far as I'm aware, all OLEDs have an inherent risk of burn in, simply because the pixels aren't homogenous (different colours) and they all age at different rates. Now, the question is, how do you quantify the risk and does it actually detract from 'normal' viewing..

Associate
I'll be honest, I haven't done any tests no. As I've never noticed a problem I sort of assumed there wasn't any. I'd actually be interested in looking now that you've mentioned it. However it won't change my opinion, it's a phenomenal TV, would recommend to all :). What did you use to test yours mate? Have you got a link?

It's a slippery slope... I didn't use anything to test mine, just noticed it on dark content when I really looked for it.
RTINGS have been doing some long term testing and just a 100% red image seems to show it up the most https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test
It does seem that the various strategies that the manufacturers employ has reduced the risk in panels since about 2018, but for me personally it's a bit anecdotal and I don't know if they changed the panel significantly.

If you look on ebay at 2nd hand oleds, you'll see that when they advertise with burn in, they normally just use an array of full colour test patterns to show if it's present. As mentioned though, personally it wouldn't necessarily put me off.

Permabanned
i think its just same as like the led bulbs we use at home, as you use it it gets weaker and weaker , so same in panels light if a pixel is always used then it gets dimmer and dimmer over time, not like thos lcd type with back light, it does get weaker also but at the same time almost

Permabanned
anyone has link to the guide to turn off the auto dimming? i forgot where i found it before, and i think the update reset it back on, im using only oled 25, brightness 80 and its very dark when it dims, and its hard to make it comeback again

Soldato
I'd like to be able to pause live TV and record the odd show, but I'm unsure how much data I would need.

Would this be enough?

SanDisk SDCZ50-128G-B35 128 GB Cruzer Blade USB 2.0 Flash Drive
I'd say so - in the early days, an 80GB drive could do you 40 hours of SD recording. I doubt it's got much worse, might even be better. And now storage is so much cheaper!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
They confirmed in January that they'll be releasing a 42" OLED, it's just they've given no details what Q it will be this year (or even if it's been pushed back further).

I actually use quite a large table as my desk, which is 40" deep, so no worries there. My only concern is the height really, as the top of the screen will sit about 11cm higher than where the top of my current centre monitor is. Sure it won't be that big an issue though :).

If you can id suggest waiting for the 42", the 48" is certainly liveable and doable but its one heck of an eye sore. I have been digging around the net and asking vincent teoh and others but no response but everyone is asking the same question past 3 months daily so we know its the next best thing.

LG still has not officially announced the LG EX lifestyle models but imo they certainly could be the 42" oled we have been waiting for and look monitor and TVish

https://verietyinfo.com/austriaeng/...he-lg-oled-ex-lifestyle-series-have-appeared/

Hopefully its out sooner rather then end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom