LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
I use my 48 and switch between that and my ultra wide which I use for work.

just wondering if anyone has any ideas on why when I change monitor that it doesn’t switch to 10bit 4.4.4, I have to reboot to get this.

im on a Radeon card, it’s a minor annoyance, but would be great to bypass to stop having to reboot when I change over.

This happened for me on a Radeon VII. Hasn't happened once on a 3080.

Despite being a bit fan of AMD GPU's over the years, I can't deny that the CX48 is better tuned out of the box for Nvidia. It does have Gsync/Nvidia all over the box etc, so suspect LG/Nvidia worked together, to optimize the black level, Gsync support and colour profiles/default settings.

Soldato

Despite being a bit fan of AMD GPU's over the years, I can't deny that the CX48 is better tuned out of the box for Nvidia. It does have Gsync/Nvidia all over the box etc, so suspect LG/Nvidia worked together, to optimize the black level, Gsync support and colour profiles/default settings.

Yeah, im trying to find a 3080/3090, although thats my only issue with the screen on the card, i use the oled for everything in the evening so its not a major hassle to reboot, just would be nice not to.

Soldato
When I ran this with another monitor then I couldn't have them like a normal dual setup e.g. when I switched the OLED on then the signal on the x34 was lost. I didn't get to properly troubleshoot that as I went single monitor but I mention it because I think it does act weird when used in dual setups.

I was running triple (two monitors and the oled) and it was a major pain in the neck switching profiles, the position of the monitors kept jumping about, ive sacked off the second monitor as a result.

Soldato

Just wait until the 3080ti launches, it'll be perfect for this screen.

Shouldn't be long now. ;)

Associate
38" alienware price tag at 1.3k is not really appealing, the issue is no one has any concrete info we could have 42" LG oleds announced within the next few months even, they have simply said its coming this year with no ETA. Also Sony and others can produce their own 42" oleds also.

If you can make do id try it or if you feel you could sell it and recoup cost guess that is another option. Also qvc got the 48" CX for £998 with 1 year warranty still in stock.

You maybe still able to jumble stuff around here or resell either LG or dell to go for better later on but its your choice.

I can get 20% off Alienware as one of my customers works for Dell... but it fell out of stock by the time I got my discount code, so ordered the CX from QVC and will just get a deeper desk

Can anyone recommend a 80-90cm deep desk or worktop? I have the IKEA Alex things with their kitchen worktop as a desk. Thinking I can keep the Alex either side and add some stand behind them to support the extra depth/weight

My desk is in my dining room so the CX makes more sense as it can double as a proper TV too

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I can get 20% off Alienware as one of my customers works for Dell... but it fell out of stock by the time I got my discount code, so ordered the CX from QVC and will just get a deeper desk

Can anyone recommend a 80-90cm deep desk or worktop? I have the IKEA Alex things with their kitchen worktop as a desk. Thinking I can keep the Alex either side and add some stand behind them to support the extra depth/weight

My desk is in my dining room so the CX makes more sense as it can double as a proper TV too

Glad could save some dosh via QVC deal, try Officefurnitureonline and look for desk with 800mm/80cm depth like this one:

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/next-day-karbon-rectangular-cantilever-office-desks.html

some have pulled it away from the wall or added a plank of timber or extra board on top of the desk to increase the depth, wall mounting also helps since it pushes it further back from you, small stuff helps.

Flux, windows night mode or use the LGs CX eye comfort mode may help reduce eye strain but that is personal choice, really helps me at least.

You maybe able to adjust your existing ikea stuff with a timber or board, yeah why not the 48CX is literally going to be the best TV in the living room going
its a treat for movies and tv series especially in the pitch dark where it excels best.

Associate
Glad could save some dosh via QVC deal, try Officefurnitureonline and look for desk with 800mm/80cm depth like this one:

https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk/next-day-karbon-rectangular-cantilever-office-desks.html

some have pulled it away from the wall or added a plank of timber or extra board on top of the desk to increase the depth, wall mounting also helps since it pushes it further back from you, small stuff helps.

Flux, windows night mode or use the LGs CX eye comfort mode may help reduce eye strain but that is personal choice, really helps me at least.

You maybe able to adjust your existing ikea stuff with a timber or board, yeah why not the 48CX is literally going to be the best TV in the living room going
its a treat for movies and tv series especially in the pitch dark where it excels best.

really appreciate the advice - thank you so much.

i have a 65” C9 in my bedroom so really looking forward to having similar quality on a monitor.

I hooked up my pc to the Sony 75” X9005H in the lounge but that looks a bit washed out and blurry doing 4K 120 but I think that’s a bug with that res on that tv.

is the CX all good with a 2.1 cable and a 3080?

Associate

Yes, you just need a certified HDMI 2.1 cable with a QR code on the packaging so you can verify it's certified with the HDMI Cable Certification app on Android for example.

An uncertified cable can have issues with image dropouts or just not work at 4K 120Hz or with VRR.

This is the cable I use with an LG 48CX and RTX 3080 without any problems:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirek...officially-licensed-Blue-Black/dp/B08NW5XN3B/

R3X

R3X

Soldato
really appreciate the advice - thank you so much.

i have a 65” C9 in my bedroom so really looking forward to having similar quality on a monitor.

I hooked up my pc to the Sony 75” X9005H in the lounge but that looks a bit washed out and blurry doing 4K 120 but I think that’s a bug with that res on that tv.

I don't have an 3080 so Eiji's cable above looks good, best to stick with personal recommendations from actual owners and get from rainforest if you can so you can return it its an issue.

Another link with some info on hdmi cables that may work well

https://padlet.com/technodad55/TestedHDMI

Sounds like the Sony got pushed @ 4K/120, sometimes TVs or even the hdmi cables can't handle 4K/120 its just that much more powerful, try the new hdmi cable and as always keep the TVs updated (firmware) wise, if nothing works maybe drop it down to 4K/60 but choice is yours.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tempted on the 55” as a new TV (not a monitor).

Every video I’ve seen on this looks MEGA reflective. It would be placed adjacent to a bay window... is this going to be a major nuisance? Is it markedly more reflective than any other TV?

Soldato

Every video I’ve seen on this looks MEGA reflective. It would be placed adjacent to a bay window... is this going to be a major nuisance? Is it markedly more reflective than any other TV?
I have the 48 for a monitor and 55 for the living room tv, don't find the gloss a problem but found the tv more suited to darker rooms due to the screen brightness.
My old b7 was a much brighter screen and easier to watch daytime but in darker conditions the cx is much better with deep colour that really pop

Soldato

So it time to change the room lay out around ;):D

Or put some black out curtains up and keep them closed. (not really ideal if this is the living room :cry:)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Agree OLEDs are pretty much a mirror and anything bright light is magnified on it, OLEDS truly excel in pitch black rooms.

If you can id re-arrange the room with strong thick white netting, thick dark curtains, spot lights turned the opposite way of any window, its one of those things you have to try and see though, its worth it in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom