LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Probably defaulted to Limited instead of RGB - classic HDMI issue, assuming a TV was plugged in and not a monitor. Shouldn't be an issue with the OLED, I have mine set to Auto on the TV and it correctly sets the black level based on nvidia settings (Full for me)
It's the other way around, I believe SilverRST is saying that changing to "limited" prevented the crushed blacks. This makes sense if the panel isn't accepting full dynamic range properly -any near-black below a certain value would be presumed to be pure black and displayed that way. With Limited colour range, there are fewer individual levels of each colour but the blacks are lifted to a level all panels can interpret.

Associate
How much heat do these kick out? I'm considering one mostly to use as a TV but also some gaming. I'd have a PC hidden behind it with about a 1" gap between. Wouldn't want to cook either.

Associate
So I've seen the 48C1 in physical store and holy moly! Picture looks gorgeous and contrast is superb! I also noticed the difference between the brightness. The bigger the tv, the more unpleasant the brightness. Next to the 48C1, there is the 77C1 and it looks damn too bright and also pixelated too. Totally expected it. The game shown was an Ubicrap game, it looked like the Viking, Vallhalla I think. But oled makes games look damn gorgeous! LG! Please release 42" asap! And no, it's not the 48" is too big, not even close, it's just that 42" would be perfect size and I can also keep my desk more organized and clean. But still, I don't say no to 48C1 :p I forgot to look at how the pixel density is but they tricked me! They got me in their trap and the picture they shown was too sharp and clean... I hate myself.

The fun thing is, I waited like a month for the new Panasonic 48", the jwz1004 and jzw1506 and there is jzw984 too. Which difference do they have? I have no %$#& idea and even Panasonic their official website is not really clear. Anyway, the 48C1 is €1199 and the Panasonic jzw1004 is €1799... Excuse me? $#%& that. It's still even unknown wether it does support 1440p/120 natively or not. But one think is for certain, I do NOT want to spend that amount of money for the same size.

Soldato
How much heat do these kick out? I'm considering one mostly to use as a TV but also some gaming. I'd have a PC hidden behind it with about a 1" gap between. Wouldn't want to cook either.
theses are pretty good, i had the old b7 and you could really feel the heat by holding my hand up close to the screen but the cx is pretty cool

Associate
Looks like speakers, stands, and panel binning.

But at the 48" size I'm not sure panel binning applies.

From here:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/panasonic-2021-tv-lineup-everything-you-need-to-know
Yeah, I don't understand what Panasonic is thinking the're doing but from the looks of it, it's a huge waste of money.
It sounds like the 48" models are "inferior" to bigger sizes. Weird logic except the speakers of course but 48" versions...? I dropped Panasonic in meanwhile.

Associate
theses are pretty good, i had the old b7 and you could really feel the heat by holding my hand up close to the screen but the cx is pretty cool

Thanks for that, sounds doable.
I've got a 436m6 on my gaming PC and it is by far the hottest part of the system. In HDR 1000 mode you can feel it from 3 feet away.

Associate
You're missing the point - he's asking how performance is with colours close to black. Are they crushed down to absolute black i.e. not accurate colour? This was a known issue with HDMI inputs on the 2019 OLEDs before a recent SW update. Sometimes they even flickered. You talk so much and so loudly on this thread but your facts are so often wrong. Calm down! :)

How's OLED with near-blacks?

So if a member writes something and miss out the other word or words I got to guess what his meaning is how's that wrong! So if he had said "OLED for near black performance" I would have said something different:p So was I wrong over the LCD panel written by Wikipedia or was it me I was missing the point! Or my facts are so wrong again!

Last edited:
Soldato
So if a member writes something and miss out the other word or words I got to guess what his meaning is how's that wrong! So if he had said "OLED for near black performance" I would have said something different:p So was I wrong over the LCD panel written by Wikipedia or was it me I was missing the point! Or my facts are so wrong again!
Well now that you know what I was asking, can you answer it?

Soldato
Had my 48" C1 for about a week now and its been great, upgraded from a 43" not had any issues so far need to get a deeper desk ideally that's on the list of things to do when can get to Ikea to get some alex drawers.

Running it on a 2080ti but ordered a dongle that will take display port to 2.1 HDMI for 120Mhz 4K refreshrate

Associate
Had my 48" C1 for about a week now and its been great, upgraded from a 43" not had any issues so far need to get a deeper desk ideally that's on the list of things to do when can get to Ikea to get some alex drawers.

Running it on a 2080ti but ordered a dongle that will take display port to 2.1 HDMI for 120Mhz 4K refreshrate
You wrote you had it for about a week. Did you return it? The difference between 43" and 48" is very noticeable I suppose?

May I ask why you need a dongle for that? And 4K 120Mhz? That doesn't sound good lol :p

Associate

I'm wondering about the HDMI DP adapter as well. As far as I know, those handle pretty much everything but VRR. My 2070S is the limiting factor here as well, running at UHD60, RGB, 8bit, dynamic output.

I've had the screen for roughly a month now and just LOVE it! Coming from a iiyama ProLite X4071UHSU-B1 the size difference between 40" and 48" wasn't overwhelming but rather welcome.
Now browser scaling has become even better going <100%.
Somebody mentioned a FITUEYES TV stand and I went with a 32 to 65" version to have more wiggle room, worked for the 40 as well as it did for the 48". I kept the 40" in the setup but was silly enough to turn it sideways.
Yes, that's massive. :D Luckily my desk is as well. It's a custom wooden plate, actually two because I had to split the length, at 200 + 80cm by 90cm depth on the usual IKEA Alex containers.
The stand's pushed almost all the way back and I measured roughly 85cm viewing distance, which works nicely for me.

Settings-wise I haven't done a whole lot, put it into gaming mode, set the input to PC, deep colour mode and I believe I changed the OLED brightness.
Brightness OLED pixel 75
Contrast 85 (default?)
Screen brightness 50 (default?)
I turned off energy savings and that annoying auto-off after 4 hours thing.

Since I've been looking at getting an OLED as a monitor I've been looking a things since 2019 or so, had previously bought a 65E7 in 2018 and just loved it.
It's great for streaming or console use but just too much to be put on a desk.
So over time I've adapted and trained my behaviour to see if things are working out as they should reliably.
Blank screensaver after 2 minutes. powercfg /requests became my friend. The weirdest stuff caused video locks.
Blank wallpaper.
Autohotkey script to minimize the recent window without breaking my fingers or having to use a second hand.
Code:
^+d::
WinMinimize, A
return
And eventually I moved the task bar on screen #2, works nicely on the 40", not so much on the previous 28". It was just too small. I'm dreading Windows 11 for this bit.
Turning on the C1 before the PC keeps the task bar in place. The 40" via DP resumes from standby, shows the boot screen etc, then the C1 takes over for the Windows login.
I really wish there was a way to configure the GPU to just accept HDMI as input 1 instead of giving DP a priority.

When I don't need a window, I just minimize it. YT and Tweeten usually take up the second screen, get replaced with whatever I need.
Outlook and what not are moved around on the taskbar and come up and vanish by hitting WIN 3 or 0 or whatever place I set them to.

MS Powertoys with FancyZones is a IMO mandatory.
Monitor Keeper seems to work, but I'm not 100% sure. https://github.com/hunkydoryrepair/MonitorKeeper/releases Seems to do more than that Lenovo monitor tool.
Dark mode everywhere is a given. I've now installed Dark Reader in most browser profiles.

Power use isn't too bad at all. With a blank black screen the 48C1 sits at 40W, dipping to 38 - when hitting a different power mode? ABL/ASBL?
Sadly that is a thing. I keep noticing it when writing in docs for longer periods. The screen REALLY dims down.
I was surprised to see my power meter spike at 130+W when I had PDFs with light backgrounds open :D Playing WoW I remained in the 60-70W range in Shadowlands.
Hell, I've had a HP Omen X35 before and that thing ate more after being turned off for 20+minutes. Yay, Gsync modules!
Had a power meter running for a week or two because I was curious, then my anxiety about having a glass of water next to an open extension chord on the table got the best of me.

At the moment I'm mainly playing WoW and could swear it's dimming down there as well. Moving the ingame brightness of the client from 50 to 55 helped.
New World and Mass Effect Legendary Edition looked great as well.
You do get used to the OLED wow effect after a while, but then I catch myself coming back into the room just quickly enough before the screen saver kicks in, WoW open, and the beauty of the colours and contrast hit me again.

I probably would have gotten the C1 later but was lucky enough to find a C19 on eBay for roughly 1130 EUR after vouchers and cashback stuff, just really couldn't say no to that. :D

So now EVGA just has to hurry up, I've been in StepUp waiting hell for my 3080 for nine months. Things do not move at for the EU market.
If only I had pre-ordered the FTW3 for 899 EUR without assuming a WTH that's 50 above MSRP stance, or not bought a 2070S to start the StepUp process because I thought this was a sure "quick" way of getting the card at MSRP.

Is there a proper solution for the remote control overlap issues? The C1 and E7 are in the same room. I've changed device IDs but they still turn on and off all the same.
Playing peekaboo while giving the other one attention seems to help. C'mon, really? O.o

Oh right, as far as burn in goes, I've been afraid since before getting the 65E7 because I kept hearing about it again and again from pretty much everywhere.
Meanwhile years in with mainly TV shows and movies plus daily Animal Crossing playtime in, I haven't noticed anything, and that's on an old 2017 model OLED.
Reading about how things improved over the years, Redditors writing they've been playing WoW and whatever else for years without running into it, it's become more of a meh whatever.

Pixel Shift has become noticeable. I normally have a notepad in the bottom left corner and from time to time the cursor or even half a letter on the left side are gone because the screen content has shifted.

Associate
@Wynter
Mind sharing photos of your desk with the oled tv? Wooden desks is the best! :p Since I received my walnut desk, things has gotten better 100x and can organize to the next levels! lol Ordered some more stuff to add more coziness and making my desk more clean. But it's not finished yet because no oled tv on it.

What is C19? Never heard about. Newer model or? I'm from the Netherlands and we got the 48C16LA. Prices has dropped down to €1199. I can say no to the 48C1 but as a sucker I am, I'm dreaming of 42" OLED 4K/120 and that means a higher pixel density. Believe me, a ppi of 102 is already really nice! That's 21.5" 1080p which I have.

The dimming features are the oled safety measures I think. I can't see myself writing a white Office document and have the screen lit like sun. I actually welcome that feature. However, I bought a Lenovo Yoga Tab 13, which is a tablet and portable monitor in one. So whenever me or anyone else has to write documents or doing school work, i can just plug the Yoga Yab 13 and there we go. That's all to decrease image retentions and burn-ins.

What if you decrease the OLED brightness down to 30 or 27? Will the dimmer still kick in? I also have the LG A7V since 2018 and no issues with burn-ins. I also decreased the OLED bightness down to 27 I think. I had it at 30 and it was still too bright at nights lol. But maybe it's because in watching-tv mode? But the A7 is purely for watching tv and Netflix.

Associate
@Wynter
Mind sharing photos of your desk with the oled tv? Wooden desks is the best! :p Since I received my walnut desk, things has gotten better 100x and can organize to the next levels! lol Ordered some more stuff to add more coziness and making my desk more clean. But it's not finished yet because no oled tv on it.

What is C19? Never heard about. Newer model or? I'm from the Netherlands and we got the 48C16LA. Prices has dropped down to €1199. I can say no to the 48C1 but as a sucker I am, I'm dreaming of 42" OLED 4K/120 and that means a higher pixel density. Believe me, a ppi of 102 is already really nice! That's 21.5" 1080p which I have.

The dimming features are the oled safety measures I think. I can't see myself writing a white Office document and have the screen lit like sun. I actually welcome that feature. However, I bought a Lenovo Yoga Tab 13, which is a tablet and portable monitor in one. So whenever me or anyone else has to write documents or doing school work, i can just plug the Yoga Yab 13 and there we go. That's all to decrease image retentions and burn-ins.

What if you decrease the OLED brightness down to 30 or 27? Will the dimmer still kick in? I also have the LG A7V since 2018 and no issues with burn-ins. I also decreased the OLED bightness down to 27 I think. I had it at 30 and it was still too bright at nights lol. But maybe it's because in watching-tv mode? But the A7 is purely for watching tv and Netflix.

Pic's bad, especially with glossy screens, and I can't ever for the life of me do a clean setup. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E59BKYBWEAQ-uWY?format=jpg&name=large
Don't 9.7 iPads look tiny?

There really is nothing like a real wooden desk. I've had the cheapo pressed stuff from the 90's until last year, then ordered a plate. That's beech stained in wenge, looks darker RL.

LG is being weird about model names. Basically the C1 are all the same AFAIK. I even contacted support and they only explained the differences between C17, 18 and 19 to me, then assumed about a C11, 12, 16 with no guarantees.
C17 and 18 are the same, where 17 has the dark back and 18 the white one. C19 has the white back and supports WiSA - some wireless audio standard. Supposedly C16 is the same as the C17, but only has a single tuner.
When googling for the C11LB and C12LA. those appeared to be for the Polish (?) market.

The screen doesn't have to be lit up for ABL to kick in. I had half a screen with a Google doc in dark mode and a quarter screen filled with a white notepad. That was enough. Normally bright screens hurt my eyes.
HDR on the 65" sure does at times. The 40" is set to energy mode 2, a medium energy saving setting, and next to that the somewhat high OLED brightness setting doesn't appear to be THAT bright. 30 or 27 appear to be low.
I'll need to try that at some point.

With the 65E7V I haven't played around with an OLED brightness setting but rather use it in energy savings mode most of the time.

When I set up the C1 I updated to firmware 03.15.27 and haven't noticed any issues. Yesterday there was a popup about a new firmware, but I told it to go away, didn't want to mess with things.
Today I manually checked again and it says I have the latest version installed. Has it been pulled? I know LG has an option somewhere to pull up all the old notifications, but I keep forgetting where it is. Any idea?
The E7 had a notification yesterday as well but I never touch FW upgrades on day one. Lenovo has taught me to be extra cautious.

Soldato
You wrote you had it for about a week. Did you return it? The difference between 43" and 48" is very noticeable I suppose?

May I ask why you need a dongle for that? And 4K 120Mhz? That doesn't sound good lol :p

No still got it, guess my english wasn't great lol

Only the 3000 series of GeForce cards can do 4K at 120Hz, displayport 1.4 is capable of doing that but no DP ports on the C1, the dongle converts the DP port into a 2.1 HDMI port, so you can get 4K@120Hz but you drop VRR

Associate
No still got it, guess my english wasn't great lol Only the 3000 series of GeForce cards can do 4K at 120Hz, displayport 1.4 is capable of doing that but no DP ports on the C1, the dongle converts the DP port into a 2.1 HDMI port, so you can get 4K@120Hz but you drop VRR

Your running a 2080TI you can do 120hz @4k 8bit, 4.2.0 without a dongle on a 2.0HDMI:p CX/C1 models

Well now that you know what I was asking, can you answer it?

Are you having problems with near blacks in HDR or SDR content? You get rid of the crushed black with a Professional display calibration, or make sure Dynamic tone mapping is turn off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom