LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Have you turned "Just Scan" to "on" rather than Auto? This eliminated any overscan completely for me. Go to All Settings -> Picture -> Aspect Ratios -> Just Scan -> Set to "On". You might need to do this for all HDMI inputs you have connected.

AHA That did the trick! Thank you very much!!!

Yet another reason why LG overhyped the PC monitor credentials for this (or at least as released) - is there a full "getting the ******* thing working like it should" guide anywhere yet?

Associate
Thought I might share this: I received an HDMI cable which is supposedly 2.0b spec and has Ethernet capability (not sure what it means) Tried it in place of my existing 2.0b spec cable.

This was not a good move, colours were different, darker and muddier, less clarity and differentiation between colours.

Also some strange colour effects on some fonts on some backgrounds. Like there’s a slight colour glow around some letters. Hard to describe.

Switched back to original cable and it’s all perfect again. Not sure what’s going on but I guess using the right quality of cable with these things is something to watch out for.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thought I might share this: I received an HDMI cable which is supposedly 2.0b spec. Tried it in place of my existing 2.0b spec cable.

This was not a good move, colours were different, darker and muddier, less clarity and differentiation between colours.

Also some strange colour effects on some fonts on some backgrounds. Like there’s a slight colour glow around some letters. Hard to describe.

Switched back to original cable and it’s all perfect again. Not sure what’s going on but I guess using the right quality of cable with these things is something to watch out for.
Is that connected to a pc? Possible that the second cable caused the graphics card to switch to limited RGB output or something, and the other was on full range RGB. just an idea

Soldato
people still use tv tuners? What devilry is this. Online all the way

It's mostly the older generation that still watch mainstream TV (bbc, itv etc), whether on live TV or on catchup. This is certainly not the TV for them, due to LG having licensing issues with Freeview, so not providing the built in apps for it.

Soldato
@Dirk Diggler I haven't tested it, I bought this primarily as a gaming monitor, I'm sure it works though. Maybe someone else can test it?

I'm using a 80cm desk and it's fine. 90cm might be better though if you have space. From experience of going up to 40", you soon get used to a large screen, even at such close proximity.

Slightly side shot showing front edge of desk (I could move the screen back further but I haven't finished cable management):

What you'll see face on (taken from where my head is, 70cm from screen):

A few tricks/info for using a large screen:

• Recline your chair back slightly, this helps add distance to the screen.
  • For web browsing or documents, snap windows to fill the middle 2/3rds of the screen (i.e. leaving gaps on the side) using Powertoys (free Microsoft tool). This stops you having to move your head left & right to read.
  • For games, most of the action happens in the centre of the screen. If you need to look to the left or right of the screen, you'd turn your head at maximum 10 degrees.
  • I'd recommend a custom TV stand though to allow you to both lift the screen up, and more importantly push as far back as possible to the wall. I'm using a Fitueyes but there are other cheap £25 options available. Not sure I like this one as it has a shiny tempered glass base which I'm sure is just going to collect dust :D

Nice setup!

How low can you set the monitor from the desk surface with that stand? Is the TV stable, or any wobble?

Soldato
It's mostly the older generation that still watch mainstream TV (bbc, itv etc), whether on live TV or on catchup. This is certainly not the TV for them, due to LG having licensing issues with Freeview, so not providing the built in apps for it.

A TV that doesn't tune in to the TV service, what wizardy is this that the young ones have discovered? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've already got an LG TV that does all the Apps and Freeview so why the issue with this particular model if it's a licensing thing?

Soldato
A TV that doesn't tune in to the TV service, what wizardy is this that the young ones have discovered? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've already got an LG TV that does all the Apps and Freeview so why the issue with this particular model if it's a licensing thing?

Majority of the "young ones" simply don't watch regular terrestrial TV. We just watch what we want to, by streaming it from one of the many streaming services or just downloading it. I personally can't stand having set programs on at set times, and adverts on some channels.

There's more info on why LG didn't include the apps here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...020-lg-cx-gx-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html

Last I checked it was related to costs, with the freeviewer provider (that licenses the apps for Iplayer, ItvHub etc). Freview wanted more money which LG were not willing to pay. I'd suggest the C9 if these are important to you, as they have all the apps included as standard. My parents have a 65" C9, and also still watch terrestrial TV, and are very happy with it.

The C9 also has DTS built in, meaning you don't need an external source to play back content with DTS. LG removed the DTS decoder on the CX, so this may interest you further.

Soldato
@Dave2150 thanks for the additional info.

I've had my eye on this TV for a long time, and the attraction for me is the smaller size so the C9 is not an option. I don't intend to use this exclusively as a PC monitor although I would be gaming on it. Unfortunately, I would like to watch live TV on it so this is a bit of a compromise and at the price point I don't feel I want to compromise.

I could invest in Amazon sticks, Chromecast and a Freeview box, but the LG TV I have now has all that built in and I can even plug a hard drive in and record live TV - it's a 43" 4K model that cost £350!

Maybe I need to look at the Samsung offerings, and again thanks for the additional info. :)

Soldato
@Dave2150 thanks for the additional info.

I've had my eye on this TV for a long time, and the attraction for me is the smaller size so the C9 is not an option. I don't intend to use this exclusively as a PC monitor although I would be gaming on it. Unfortunately, I would like to watch live TV on it so this is a bit of a compromise and at the price point I don't feel I want to compromise.

I could invest in Amazon sticks, Chromecast and a Freeview box, but the LG TV I have now has all that built in and I can even plug a hard drive in and record live TV - it's a 43" 4K model that cost £350!

Maybe I need to look at the Samsung offerings, and again thanks for the additional info. :)

No worries. There is hope/talk that LG will add full support for the apps via a firmware update, though I too wouldn't commit to such a purchase until it's actually available.

Associate
What I love about this display is the verticality. Being 16:9 ratio, you get a lot of vertical dimension, which, for me, is so much better than the thin letterbox widescreen and ultra widescreen type displays. Peripheral vision is amazing in both horizontal and vertical which is a real boost to immersion.

When I mentioned earlier in the thread about the vesa mount being crucial to spacing the display further away from me, I should also have said that it allows the centre of the display to be set at my eye level, which is important for the immersion.

Has anyone got this set up on the standard tv mount? What height is the edge of the bottom bezel from the desk surface?

Back
Top Bottom