LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
A 1080ti won't do 4k 120hz no matter what the TV can produce.

Well I got 1080ti driving my 4k @ 120hz in games play. Insurgency sandstorm for my main shooter.

I guess you look at apples to apples comparisons where in reviews they turn EVERY setting in the game up to high then I guess you will assume low framerates. Fact of the matter is you don't need all the post processing settings as they are there to make low resolutions look better. Don't need much if any AA either. Motion Blur. Turn all that off and you can get very good frame rates at 4k. Obviously other settings aren't all on ultra, usually after playing about with them there often isn't much difference between low or high on some settings.

If you are just going into each game and turning everything up to max, then you are doing it wrong if you use a resolution higher than 1080p.

Soldato
So I know this thread won't exactly be impartial, but I was previously eyeing up the 38GL950 but that seems like a very silly purchase now this has hit the market, and them being the same price. What do you guys think?

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Well I got 1080ti driving my 4k @ 120hz in games play. Insurgency sandstorm for my main shooter.

I guess you look at apples to apples comparisons where in reviews they turn EVERY setting in the game up to high then I guess you will assume low framerates. Fact of the matter is you don't need all the post processing settings as they are there to make low resolutions look better. Don't need much if any AA either. Motion Blur. Turn all that off and you can get very good frame rates at 4k. Obviously other settings aren't all on ultra, usually after playing about with them there often isn't much difference between low or high on some settings.

If you are just going into each game and turning everything up to max, then you are doing it wrong if you use a resolution higher than 1080p.

I dont think he meant it as the 1080ti doesn't have the power to hit 120fps.

I think he means that via its hdmi 2.0 port to this TV you can't actually output to 120hz as the card is physically limited to 60hz @ 4K

You can however output 120hz @ 4K with its display port, but the TV doesn't have one.

Soldato
So I know this thread won't exactly be impartial, but I was previously eyeing up the 38GL950 but that seems like a very silly purchase now this has hit the market, and them being the same price. What do you guys think?

Depends if you are happy with buying the 48CX 4k TV and only being able to run 2560x1440 @ 120hz until you get a new gfx card with HDMI 2.1. SO to use the CX at it's full potential you also need to factor in a next gen gfx card. If you are looking to get a new graphics card anyway next gen then the 48CX is a no brainer.

Soldato
I dont think he meant it as the 1080ti doesn't have the power to hit 120fps.

I think he means that via its hdmi 2.0 port to this TV you can't actually output to 120hz as the card is physically limited to 60hz @ 4K

You can however output 120hz @ 4K with its display port, but the TV doesn't have one.

Considered your interpretation of his post and I still think I read it right. Cheers for your interpretation though.

Even if you had a next gen gfx card now with HDMI 2.1 you STILL couldn't do 4k 120hz as the TV needs a firmware update that comes end of 2020 to fully integrate HDMI 2.1.

Associate

Same here mate The LG38 is quite easy to get now especially with the 0% or 5 months finance deals - I am also definitely getting a PS5 and the new Xbox as well. I am sure I will get a new GPU at one point as well. I think the LG38 would have to drop 1k and below for me to consider it now.

I think what gets me is due to only 1 retailer having the 48 model in stock theres no price drops. The 55 CX is only £100 more expensive then the 48 and you get extras !

It was only last year when alienware released a 55 gaming oled for 3k plus. It shows you what good value these new oled Tvs are. The BFGD 65 inch monitors are also pretty much dead in the water. TV tech moves fast and has aggressive pricing. You can saves thousands on last year models etc. Monitors prices seem to stay high even if they are obsolete. I noticed the HP Omen 65 sold out when their price got lowered to £1900 which is too still high imo.

Last edited:
Soldato
Will have to wait until Black Friday for prices to get more sensible on this. £1500 is still a lot given you were able to get the 55" C9 for just over £1K last year. There should be some good deals on the 48" when other retailers have it come November. Sub £1K, this is really a no brainer vs any other monitor in this price range, providing you can fit it on your desk.

Soldato
Maybe? A VA panel with that little zones isn't even going to be in the same ballpark as the 48CX when it comes to picture quality.

True, never said it was but until only very recently IPS, VA etc were the must have. What these other panels do do, is work now, at their native resolution and don't require a further purchase of another graphics card and indeed a firmware update in the future to allow these cards to work. The poster I was replying to wanted an option of 4k 120hz now, and he could use with his current gfx card.

Anyway at 120hz it could be argued that the 1440p resolution you have to use isn't as detailed as a 4k image - non OLED may not be able to do full HDR with the blackest blacks etc but these TV's cant do their native resolution @ 120hz, without a firmware update and a new graphics card, months away. I'll have a 4k 120hz non HDR image for gaming over a 1440p 120hz full HDR image any day, that being today.

Don't get me wrong - we'll all be after OLED or it's equivalent tech levels of picture accuracy, which'll be standard in a couple of years, but for the purpose of playing pooter games many are quite happy to have the levels of black etc from IPS and VA seeing as they were the must haves only until very recently.

Soldato

If the CX series had a display port interface, then yes a 1080TI coud do 4k 120Hz in older games. It doesn't, it only has HDMI 2.1 ports. The 1080ti will never receive a firmware update, as it lacks the HDMI 2.1 hardware. Thus it's impossible for a 1080ti to ever drive a LG OLED CX @ 120Hz.

The next generation of GPU's are launching in the next few months, which will have HDMI2.1, and so will be able to drive 4K 120Hz.

Soldato
this tv ticks all the boxes however few things putting me off
* Nvidia lock out gsync for 1080ti not had non gsync in over 4 years? dont know if i could temporary go back
* LG firmware update for 120hz will it actaully happen
* Size really want 32-40 as i will have multiple monitors.
* wonder if i be comfortable being so close to big screen for daily work from home. specially as i have 3 monitos

Associate
OP
What firmware for 120 Hz is being talked about? As sits, the 48CX can do 4K@120Hz with 4:2:0 chroma with a HDMI 2.0b current GPU and 4K@120Hz with 4:4:4 with next generation GPUs.

Soldato
If the CX series had a display port interface, then yes a 1080TI coud do 4k 120Hz in older games. It doesn't, it only has HDMI 2.1 ports. The 1080ti will never receive a firmware update, as it lacks the HDMI 2.1 hardware. Thus it's impossible for a 1080ti to ever drive a LG OLED CX @ 120Hz.

The next generation of GPU's are launching in the next few months, which will have HDMI2.1, and so will be able to drive 4K 120Hz.

I never said a 1080ti needs a firmware update. I read somewhere that the TV needs a firmware update to get them to run via graphics card HDMI2.1 interface, slong with the panel changing trom just G-sync to Freesync.

this tv ticks all the boxes however few things putting me off
* Nvidia lock out gsync for 1080ti not had non gsync in over 4 years? dont know if i could temporary go back
* LG firmware update for 120hz will it actaully happen
* Size really want 32-40 as i will have multiple monitors.
* wonder if i be comfortable being so close to big screen for daily work from home. specially as i have 3 monitos

Dunno if the firmware update at the end of the year to allow freesync to then operate via a 1080ti. I hadn't heard of this issue either, cheers.

What firmware for 120 Hz is being talked about? As sits, the 48CX can do 4K@120Hz with 4:2:0 chroma with a HDMI 2.0b current GPU and 4K@120Hz with 4:4:4 with next generation GPUs.

Yeah I read to do 4.4.4 still needs a firmware update along with the Freesync firmware update. AVSforums maybe?

Soldato
I never said a 1080ti needs a firmware update. I read somewhere that the TV needs a firmware update to get them to run via graphics card HDMI2.1 interface, slong with the panel changing trom just G-sync to Freesync.

Dunno if the firmware update at the end of the year to allow freesync to then operate via a 1080ti. I hadn't heard of this issue either, cheers.

Not sure read multiple times there's s firmware update at end of the year but not sure for what the update is in reference too

Yeah I read to do 4.4.4 still needs a firmware update along with the Freesync firmware update. AVSforums maybe?

Soldato
Mine arrives on Saturday, can't wait :D

Update!

Only tested for an hour so far, and only in Windows! Colours are absolutely amazing - way better than the IPS panel in my Asus RoG laptop. Contrast is just insane. I'm blown away by the quality, the glossy type panel is just perfect and complements the panel in every way.

So great to get a new monitor and not have to worry about back light bleed, or any other of the other issues than "premium" PC monitor manufacturers force us to accept.

Size wise, I'm using it on a 80cm depth desk. Using the included stand for now, have it overhanging my desk by 3cm. Totally usable at this distance, though I'm either going to get a thin stand (as mentioned by another poster earlier in the thread) or wall mount it. This will give me 12-15cm more distance from the panel which will be perfect.

I'll update tomorrow once I've tested in games, was a busy evening cleaning/re-arranging my furniture to suit :D

One thing Ill mention, I'm running at 4k 60hz so far on a Radeon 7. For some reason, 60Hz on this feels faster than 60Hz on my 27" BenQ monitor. I can tell it's not running at the 144Hz I'm used to, but it feels more like 75Hz-80Hz. Haven't read any others experiencing this, so thought I'd mention. I was sure I'd run at 1440P 120Hz in games until I get a 3080/3080ti/AMD equivalent, but may stick with 4k 60 if games feel this smooth.

Soldato
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-o...ner-s-thread-faq-posts-1-6-no-price-talk.html
Has lot of info. Looks like no 12 bit support for cx model

The CX can't do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit because the HDMI 2.1 FRL speed is limited at 40Gbps (instead of the 48Gbps that is available on the C9). The CX can still do 4K 120Hz 4:2:2 12-bit, 4K 120Hz 4:2:0 12-bit, 1440p 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit, 1080p 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit, and all other 12-bit modes that don't go over 40Gbps.

Permabanned
@Dave2150

It is so responsive with pixel response and input lag and the low blur would make it seem smoother than a LCD but it is still 60 frames. OLED is super efficent at getting everything out of 60hz this is why i cannot wait for OLED 240hz in a smaller 24 inch JOLED type.

Would love one for Street Fighter, Its sort of a dream to see fighter games do 4k 120hz on these OLEDs too instead of the conventional engines based around 16ms 60hz timers.

Soldato

There are no graphics cards with HDMI 2.1 yet. LG will likely release this before/just when they do become available.

1080ti's, 2080ti's etc lack HDMI 2.1 hardware, so will never be able to do 4k 120Hz via HDMI on a LG CX. You'll need a NV 3000 series card for this.

As for AMD, they lag behind NVIDIA when it comes to VRR via HDMI, and simply haven't supported it yet. People have been complaining about this on the AMD subreddit and the AMD community forums for a long time. AMD promised this feature was "coming" over two years ago (https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...hat they,refresh rates to future televisions.) but so far, no update. Very bad from AMD.

Back
Top Bottom