LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I now remember your username, and checked your post history to confirm. You're the guy that:

1. Claimed the CX48 has an overheating issue, after reading reddit threads for 2, 3 year old LG OLEDS
2. Claimed burn in is guaranteed
3. Claimed banding is a major issue
4. Claimed ABL makes the panel unusable

Basically you've posted almost all negative entries for this TV for the last few months, and for most of your posts you backup your claims with no evidence. IMO this is trolling, it's almost like you want to convince yourself that it's not worth getting this TV. This is your decision of course, but I'm fed up of reading your unsubstantiated nonsense, so welcome to my ignore list.

Ask yourself a very simple question how can I be a troll when I have said the LG 48CX is still the best panel of 2020 multiple times in the last 3 months.

I don't know if you are actually trolling or drunk posting ? I certainly have not said any of those things. Overheating issues I already said it was a passing comment on reddit regarding lg oleds yet you blame me for it, I said 1 page back LGs software techniques should have solved any burn in issues when other members started discusing LG burn in issues, ABL, the link I provided is from AVSforum and the guy says do so at your own risk I have not said it will make your screen unusable anywhere just that it's not recommended which is correct since the auto dimming feature is there to protect burn in issues from occurring obviously if you wish to switch it off do so at your own risk.

This is like the 5-6th time you have accused random people on this thread of trolling, you need to stop being immature the LG 48CX is a great screen but
It's not without its faults, limitations or problems and not everyone will get the information right that does not make them an immediate troll.

Associate
I believe it's the Automatic dimming feature you're discussing ?

Here is a guide to switch it off on LG oleds

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/how-to-turn-off-asbl-on-lg-oled-tv.2440714/

not recommended but I did read quite a few see it when watching normal films or tv so switched it off, while others said never noticed it or not enough to bother them.

That's great thanks for the link. I'm not sure whether I would turn it off but having the option is always good.

Associate
I played DOOM eternal at 1440p 120fps on my OLED. It was So much better than 4K 60fps in terms of smoothness. 4K might give a fidelity boost but 120fps vs 60fps is no contest.

With a 2080ti O/Cd you can get around 110-120fps on Doom Eternal.

Been playing on my 144hz LG 4K monitor, its so clear. I have a 1440p monitor right next to it, and it is a completely different experience.
I do wish more games were capable at running at this kind of fidelity :(

Caporegime
Good plan. I'm worried that the 3080ti/20GB version will end up closer to the 3090 than I'd like, so tempted to just get a 3090 from the get go, as it will be unmatched for 2 years and will serve me well. Unless AMD throw a spanner in the works... Hmm!
Yes, it's also the case that buying a 3090 now will allow you to just sit back and relax for a couple of years and then sell it for 70% of the cost before the next generation is released. The only problem is that the 3090 seems absolutely damn huge. :eek:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
That's great thanks for the link. I'm not sure whether I would turn it off but having the option is always good.

no worries I asked about it last month caff posted the other thread link here:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/lg-48cx-oled-4k-120-hz.18883464/page-40#post-33811254

My only worry about the auto brightness feature kicking in is if it happens during films but it appears it's not so LG done well with the software, caff said he has done it and it works great but this is just my opinion if it's not getting in the way of your viewing habits, might as well leave it on otherwise its perhaps risking potential burn in issues on a 1.5K TV set.

Associate
I'm surprised that there hasn't been much mention of the vrr raised near black bug. It has been acknowledged by LG, however they are unsure how long for a fix.

For people who already own an oled and are thinking of upgrading for vrr support. Please be aware you will take a hit on pq.

If I had known about this, I would've thought twice about upgrpgrading. As it is, I find myself playing with vrr disabled.....

I guess it is not so noticeable if you come from lcd....

Soldato
I'm surprised that there hasn't been much mention of the vrr raised near black bug. It has been acknowledged by LG, however they are unsure how long for a fix.

For people who already own an oled and are thinking of upgrading for vrr support. Please be aware you will take a hit on pq.

If I had known about this, I would've thought twice about upgrpgrading. As it is, I find myself playing with vrr disabled.....

I guess it is not so noticeable if you come from lcd....

Are you talking about Freesync, Gsync or both?

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Is that the floating blacks/flashing blacks issue during gaming and film bug ?

I think the guys over at avforums said to try raising brightness to 49, but they said LG is aware of it, some guy on avsforums had the beta LG cx firmware which fixes it but LG are still yet to release the final firmware, but its coming.

Associate
Are you talking about Freesync, Gsync or both?

I originally saw it via Gsync and went reading around to see why the first shades of grade are noticeably raised, then read people with xbox noticed it. It is especially noticeable in darker games, such as tomb raider tunnels. I think the TV dithers the lower shades, but when VRR is on it bypasses it.

Is that the floating blacks/flashing blacks issue during gaming and film bug ?

I think the guys over at avforums said to try raising brightness to 49, but they said LG is aware of it, some guy on avsforums had the beta LG cx firmware which fixes it but LG are still yet to release the final firmware, but its coming.

I don't think it is. This is specific to VRR. I test it by going to the black calibration screen of a game with gsync turned off, i reduce the brightness until the box disappears. I then re-enable gysnc and the box is now visible and the jump from black to the first shade is a noticeably higher jump than without gsync. I turn gsync off on the calibration screen by disabling the option on the tv.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...uesbut-cant-promise-a-quick-fix/#48ae759d13af

Associate
I'm expecting a 3080ti next year for £1k ish and near 3090 performance, with a 3090ti the new god tier. nVidia know how much we love the ti label. Decisions, decisions...

CX is looking a great partner for a 30xx regardless. I've used my 55" C8 for pc gaming a few times and tempted by a 48" as a desktop screen.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I originally saw it via Gsync and went reading around to see why the first shades of grade are noticeably raised, then read people with xbox noticed it. It is especially noticeable in darker games, such as tomb raider tunnels. I think the TV dithers the lower shades, but when VRR is on it bypasses it.

I don't think it is. This is specific to VRR. I test it by going to the black calibration screen of a game with gsync turned off, i reduce the brightness until the box disappears. I then re-enable gysnc and the box is now visible and the jump from black to the first shade is a noticeably higher jump than without gsync. I turn gsync off on the calibration screen by disabling the option on the tv.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...uesbut-cant-promise-a-quick-fix/#48ae759d13af

ahh yeah that VRR issue sounds different from the one I read, these new LG, Sony and samsung TVs are becoming so feature rich they remind me of Windows 10 requiring an update every five minutes :D Hopefully LG can work out something, in terms of firmware support LG are very good if not the best.

Associate
Any good free launchers that people are using on their pc to organise and hide their desktop to Hopefully ease the problem with burn in.
Been useing fences but trial coming to an end and want to try some launchers before I get this tv

Soldato
Good plan. I'm worried that the 3080ti/20GB version will end up closer to the 3090 than I'd like, so tempted to just get a 3090 from the get go, as it will be unmatched for 2 years and will serve me well. Unless AMD throw a spanner in the works... Hmm!

For the price of a 3090, you can probably buy a 3080 and a 3080ti and have two GPUs..

Associate
For the price of a 3090, you can probably buy a 3080 and a 3080ti and have two GPUs..

I agree with you 100 % but Halo products are always expensive. You could say he could get 3 x 3070 for that price as a 3090 or 6 x 5700 XT. Its how far do you go in your budget etc.

Some people would find us spending £650 way too much let alone £1500.

Soldato
I've used this screen for a couple of months now, and have some observations/feedback for anyone who may be interested.

1. It's not a daily desktop monitor for me, definitely not for productivity. I've now shifted it off my desk and wall mounted it and am looking for a new desktop monitor.
  2. This screen is fantastic for 3rd person games & movies/media, but as mentioned above I am not going to be using it for 1st person games as it will be wall mounted.
  3. For games that are too taxing for 4k, dropping to 2560*1440 still looks fantastic (especially with HDR enabled games)
  4. Due to Windows limitations, I found it's better to disable HDR for games that don't support it.

Associate
I've used this screen for a couple of months now, and have some observations/feedback for anyone who may be interested.

1. It's not a daily desktop monitor for me, definitely not for productivity. I've now shifted it off my desk and wall mounted it and am looking for a new desktop monitor.
  2. This screen is fantastic for 3rd person games & movies/media, but as mentioned above I am not going to be using it for 1st person games as it will be wall mounted.
  3. For games that are too taxing for 4k, dropping to 2560*1440 still looks fantastic (especially with HDR enabled games)
  4. Due to Windows limitations, I found it's better to disable HDR for games that don't support it.

That matches my own finding size wise.For games on a joypad my 43 Monitor 4k was lovely. Games like Call of Duty and Destiny 2 with Mouse and keyboard just felt wrong - probably due to the size of the screen and distance from it. I killed and played so much more on the samsung 49 monitors.

Soldato

Re point 1. Why not for productivity?

How far back was it from you?

Soldato
Re point 1. Why not for productivity?

How far back was it from you?

2 reasons:

1. Screen size. It's too big and therefore just uncomfortable for productivity. It was around 700mm wide desk.

2. HDR and Windows. To enable HDR and 10 bit colour is fantastic and essential for movies and games, but unfortunately horrendous on the eyes for desktop use. Text looks horrible, Windows scaling doesn't help matters.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
2 reasons:

1. Screen size. It's too big and therefore just uncomfortable for productivity. It was around 700mm wide desk.

2. HDR and Windows. To enable HDR and 10 bit colour is fantastic and essential for movies and games, but unfortunately horrendous on the eyes for desktop use. Text looks horrible, Windows scaling doesn't help matters.

Did you try to wall mount the LG instead ? This LG 48cx stand sticks out a far bit from behind, I only ask since I have a similar deep desk around 800mm wide and when you wall mount and its pushed further back by 2-3 inches it suddenly makes screens look smaller. You can simulate it kinda anyhow just sit back 2-3 inches and see if it feels more comfortable to your eyes.

My 28-inch 4K screen looks like my old 23inch screen size wise almost by doing the above, it takes the brain and eyes a while to adjust to 300 scale also, you can change desktop icons to large to compensate and try different resolutions and scaling to see one which you like or one that suits your eyes. I also use Windows Night light or Flux app to reduce eye strain while its debatable, try it you may find your eyes won't fatigue any more even if you sit in front of a screen for 15hrs just take regular breaks still.

I think also once Nvidia and AMD get hdmi 2.1 gpus you should be able to do 4K/120herz/10bit/full dynamic output/RGB so text should be improved.
I think AMD are refreshing their cards later this year so hopefully cheaper hdmi 2.1 cards for all and Nvidia 3060 may come around xmas if rumours are right.

Back
Top Bottom