LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Did you try to wall mount the LG instead ?

To be honest, I didn't really buy this for desktop use and I really just tried it for a while out of curiosity. I bought it for 3rd person gaming and movies, Netflix, BT Sport etc..

My desk is around 2.5M long and there's a wall running perpendicular which is where I've mounted my LG. I've got it hooked up to a sound system and I just swivel my chair 90 degrees, put the feet up on my wee stool and salivate over the OLED goodness. :p

I don't actually want it as a desktop monitor, I'm more interested in picking something up with 1440p high refresh for desktop productivity and 1st person gaming. I have my eye on an Asus ROG Swift PG279QE to pair with the LG - I'm hoping to pick one up with a 3090 at the end of the month.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
To be honest, I didn't really buy this for desktop use and I really just tried it for a while out of curiosity. I bought it for 3rd person gaming and movies, Netflix, BT Sport etc..

My desk is around 2.5M long and there's a wall running perpendicular which is where I've mounted my LG. I've got it hooked up to a sound system and I just swivel my chair 90 degrees, put the feet up on my wee stool and salivate over the OLED goodness. :p

I don't actually want it as a desktop monitor, I'm more interested in picking something up with 1440p high refresh for desktop productivity and 1st person gaming. I have my eye on an Asus ROG Swift PG279QE to pair with the LG - I'm hoping to pick one up with a 3090 at the end of the month.

That is fair enough I use a dual setup 28inch 4K monitor and plan on having the oled right next to it purely for TV purposes so can fully understand, how are you finding BTsport, is sports running smooth during fast action parts ? I will be using it for UFC and boxing also, hopefully without juddering effect.

Soldato
That is fair enough I use a dual setup 28inch 4K monitor and plan on having the oled right next to it purely for TV purposes so can fully understand, how are you finding BTsport, is sports running smooth during fast action parts ? I will be using it for UFC and boxing also, hopefully without juddering effect.

I haven't watched any sport yet, and with Celtic getting pumped out the Champions League it's looking less likely by the day!

I did have to enable the motion software for the Amazon Prime app so could maybe be the same for sports?

As for the 1st person gaming monitor, I want to go 1440 as it's better for FPS count and I want to avoid ultrawide as it's annoying when games don't support the resolution.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I haven't watched any sport yet, and with Celtic getting pumped out the Champions League it's looking less likely by the day!

I did have to enable the motion software for the Amazon Prime app so could maybe be the same for sports?

As for the 1st person gaming monitor, I want to go 1440 as it's better for FPS count and I want to avoid ultrawide as it's annoying when games don't support the resolution.

It should be fine for sports heard its pretty fluid in footy but not sure with guys getting punched in the face :)

Yeah, sometimes it's nice to have something dedicated for its purpose and that Asus looks very good, it's good to read about long term reviews since we all have different sets and purposes so it's sometimes tricky to know if it's the right buy but with 48CX or CX series I don't think anything has come close for what it offers in picture quality or future hdmi 2.1 support regarding TV wise, only the new Sony oled which is an LG oled underneath and still not specced as good.

Soldato
I'm considering a 3090 if performance is there, else I'll get a 3080. I may even go AMD if they release the right card - but they're holding back information and I don't know if I can be bothered waiting for them.

Thinking the same as you about the 3090 but also thinking that the 3080 is probably more than fast enough for my needs.

Associate
Anyone who is within 1-2metres - is the lower PPI noticeable compared to monitors?

@diamount I'm at about 85cm until I get my wall mount sorted. At 4k resolution it looks like a normal monitor to me, Roughly the same as the 27" 1440p monitor I was using before but it's also 10-15 cm further away than I had that one at.

After wall mount I'll be around 1m away and it looks great.

Soldato
Thinking the same as you about the 3090 but also thinking that the 3080 is probably more than fast enough for my needs.

3080 is crippled with only 10GB VRAM. Need to wait for the rumoured 20GB edition to come out, for it to be an option at 4K.

I was planning on the top end NV 3000 series card, but I'm very put off by the 3080 being 320W and the 3090W being 350W. That's an insane amount of heat to exhaust out of my case.....

I'm currently using a Radeon VII, which is a 295w card, and known for being incredibly power hungry compared to the Nvidia cards of the last 10 years. The thought of 350w with the 3090 is not something I'm interested in, as it will be a nightmare come next spring/summer.

The Next gen AMD cards, RX6000/big Navi, will be on TSMC's 7nm+ process, whilst Nvidia's 3000 series are on Samsung's 8nm. This gives AMD a substantial process advantage in terms of power efficiency/density, so I'm hoping they can make a card at least in between the 3080/3090 performance, with 250W or less TDP.

Fingers crossed, though as Dirk mentioned, AMD cards may be months away, and AMD have a habit of disappointing people, so may have to put up (lol) with a 3090.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

So much for Micro-led the future OLED replacement tech :p

Vinny T killed it in that video, 5-10 years away and 300K+ probably get replaced by something people can actually afford.

Also, Philips 48 inch Oled has been announced https://www.avforums.com/threads/news-philips-announces-oled-935-flagship-tv-pricing-added.2311394/
Lacks any hdmi 2.1 ports, so it's actually worse than the Sony oled 48 set yet cost the same at 1.8k, yet Philips have new soundbars with hdmi 2.1 support.

Nice to see more 48inch Oled arriving, hopefully offer more competition and price drops, but LG still gets the specification and future proofing right at least with the CX series.

Soldato

So much for Micro-led the future OLED replacement tech :p

Vinny T killed it in that video, 5-10 years away and 300K+ probably get replaced by something people can actually afford.

Also, Philips 48 inch Oled has been announced https://www.avforums.com/threads/news-philips-announces-oled-935-flagship-tv-pricing-added.2311394/
Lacks any hdmi 2.1 ports, so it's actually worse than the Sony oled 48 set yet cost the same at 1.8k, yet Philips have new soundbars with hdmi 2.1 support.

Nice to see more 48inch Oled arriving, hopefully offer more competition and price drops, but LG still gets the specification and future proofing right at least with the CX series.
Mini LED still has potential. Prices for monitors really need to come down as we are getting a lot less for our money than we should be.

Back
Top Bottom