LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Associate
Chaps with AMD cards, can this display run Freesync with HDR enabled?

I have tested with my nVidia card running 1440p @ 120hz with G-Sync compatible and HDR mode enabled and both the G-Sync indicator and the TV's "HDR" messages popped up in game, so it works for the green team.

I would like to be sure, if I go for an AMD card this time, that it ticks all the boxes but the specs only show Freesync Premium, not Premium Pro which is the one certified for HDR. Given the selling points of the new consoles being Freesync/HDR/4k/120hz I'd be surprised if it didn't but it would be great if one of you AMD users could confirm.

Cheers

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Mini LED still has potential. Prices for monitors really need to come down as we are getting a lot less for our money than we should be.

I checked the progress of Mini LED and its promising, at least it's affordable there is a review here of one of the tvs:
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-65q825-2019-roku-tv-review/

It's looking an improvement over the normal LED tvs at least but sadly not quite as good as OLEDs they said it sits somewhere between top end QLEDs and OLEDs, still its early days and refinements and improvements no doubt will occur.

I think OLEDs will still be the best for a long time but it would be awesome to see a much cheaper Mini LED monitors or TVs with near or better OLED performance in the future especially starting from monitors or smaller screens something Oleds miss out on due to burn in worry and cost perhaps.

Soldato
Mini LED will drop in price, but not for a while. Given the first monitors are circa £3500, they have a LONG way to drop before they could be considered "affordable" by most people.

Soldato
The mini leds need to hit the UK first and there has been no interest in that.

It's coming. Asus have their ProArt monitor and the ROG Swift PG32UQX due sometime in the near future. But these are halo products and not for the average consumer. It will be a very long time before we see monitors with these specs available at anything approaching reasonable prices, if ever. I actually think it's more likely we'll see smaller OLED monitors at semi-sensible prices before then.

Soldato
That article shows the Americans got the TCL 8 series mini led 65inch tv for 1.6K, it had a $400 price drop recently:

https://twitter.com/dkatzmaier/status/1205518109995601920

Hopefully see prices drop.

I'd love oled monitors but will we ever see them ? Probably never release due to fear of burn in on static PC images.

How does a 65" TV relate to desktop size PC monitors?

We already know JOLED have small OLEDS in the pipeline, so they will happen, but could be a while yet. The only other question is at what price.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
How does a 65" TV relate to desktop size PC monitors?

We already know JOLED have small OLEDS in the pipeline, so they will happen, but could be awhile yet. The only other question is at what price.

It does not obviously for now, but I am hoping just like we got a miracle smaller 48" oled we get mini led 48" or smaller TVs and just like the LGs 48"cx double it up as a monitor or TV and with luck it's not marketed as a high-end gaming screen so our wallets don't perish.

Thanks for the JLOD link, I remember reading it feels like a life time ago seeing it in the flesh though feels a dream.

Soldato
It does not obviously for now, but I am hoping just like we got a miracle smaller 48" oled we get mini led 48" or smaller TVs and just like the LGs 48"cx double it up as a monitor or TV and with luck it's not marketed as a high-end gaming screen so our wallets don't perish.

Thanks for the JLOD link, I remember reading it feels like a life time ago seeing it in the flesh though feels a dream.

I imagine the JOLED panels are some way off, but it will be even longer for anything affordable in the MIni-LED space. Monitor tech moves at a snail's pace, and there is no talk or rumour of affordable Mini-LED panels even entering production anytime soon, never-mind making their way into a monitor. You can bet that as and when something is announced, it's probably 2 years away. But I don't see Mini-LED making it to any monitor sub-£1000 in the next few years.

The TV market has no bearing on monitors at all. It never has. We have some coalescence with the 48" OLED from LG simply because it's JUST about workable for people with big desks, and offers a good pairing with the HDMI 2.1 connectivity on the 30xx series cards and the next gen consoles. 48" is still far too big for most people in a desktop environment though. LG (and all other TV manufacturers) have never expressed interest in making anything smaller. JOLED are the only ones doing that currently.

Soldato
Yeah no need for the HDMI 2.1 that’s coming on the 3*** series gfx cards if you’ve got a 4K 144hz monitor or anything less. Display port will be fine for now and the future.

Most people won’t connect their next gen console to their monitor they’re designed to be connected to TVs so you’ll need HDMI 2.1 on your TV as they don’t have display ports.

Soldato
My brother likes using smallish TVs as PC monitors. I guess there won’t be any small say 32” TVs that can do 4K @ 144hz as it would need HDMI 2.1 on both TV and gfx card, with freesync and Gsync too. Well not for a while anyway.

I don’t think he’s that bothered about 144hz anyway.

Soldato
Chaps with AMD cards, can this display run Freesync with HDR enabled?

I have tested with my nVidia card running 1440p @ 120hz with G-Sync compatible and HDR mode enabled and both the G-Sync indicator and the TV's "HDR" messages popped up in game, so it works for the green team.

I would like to be sure, if I go for an AMD card this time, that it ticks all the boxes but the specs only show Freesync Premium, not Premium Pro which is the one certified for HDR. Given the selling points of the new consoles being Freesync/HDR/4k/120hz I'd be surprised if it didn't but it would be great if one of you AMD users could confirm.

Cheers

Yeap!

Soldato
The mini leds need to hit the UK first and there has been no interest in that.

By the time mini LED monitors that are 32"+, 4k, 120hz+ etc, I'll have had my CX48 for 2 years most likely!

I've been enjoying this June, that's almost 4 months of the best 4K monitor available, perfect colours, perfect blacks, HDR. It's worth every penny, I just need a Nvidia 3000 series card to do it justice now!

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Sounds like Samsungs QD or QD-Oled is coming next year

I have lost count of the new tech at this point, but QD sounds impressive, higher contrast/brightness/colours, apparently no burn in issue depending on backlight used and it will only cost you your kidney and left testicle.

Associate
By the time mini LED monitors that are 32"+, 4k, 120hz+ etc, I'll have had my CX48 for 2 years most likely!

I've been enjoying this June, that's almost 4 months of the best 4K monitor available, perfect colours, perfect blacks, HDR. It's worth every penny, I just need a Nvidia 3000 series card to do it justice now!

How close is the screen to you? My only concern is it will just be too big to use up close.

Back
Top Bottom