LG 48CX OLED - 4K 120 Hz

Soldato
Has anyone been using this “monitor” but cropping it so the display area is smaller?
This would be my single display used for gaming and work.

Soldato
Has anyone been using this “monitor” but cropping it so the display area is smaller?
I'm wondering the same... I currently use a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor, and this is perfect (to me) for FPS. It'd be great to have this TV/monitor at 4k for almost everything, but crop the image right down to 3440 x 1440 when playing FPS. This 'should' give the same view, aspect, and frame rate as my standard 3440 x 1440 screen, right??

Or am I way off on this?

EDIT: This is a bit niche, so not worthy of a thread on here, but if anyone has any experience of using an OSSC with the 48CX I'd be interested to hear about it...

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm wondering the same... I currently use a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor, and this is perfect (to me) for FPS. It'd be great to have this TV/monitor at 4k for almost everything, but crop the image right down to 3440 x 1440 when playing FPS. This 'should' give the same view, aspect, and frame rate as my standard 3440 x 1440 screen, right??

Or am I way off on this?

Anyone?

Soldato
1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel and click "Customize..."
2. Check box "Enable resolutions not exposed by the display"
3. Click "Create Custom Resolution"

Use following resolution

3840x1620

4. Aspect Ratio should be set to either "Aspect Ratio" or "No Scaling."

You'll also need to check the TV aspect ratio setting too.

Associate
If this is wall mounted, any idea how good the sound is?

I have the c8 version and the I believe the sound is designed the same as previous models - whereas, its generated down and out using the stand. If I were to wall mount it in place of my current 49", It wouldn't have the stand, so wonder if anyone has wall mount tested the audio?

Cheers!

Associate
Gents, could you kindly confirm that (when firmware updates etc fix things) the 48CX supports 4K, 120Hz, GSync and HDR all at the same time over HDMI 2.1? I've seen some posts online recently which suggest that due to the 40gbps limitation of the CX you have to choose between GSync or HDR at one time.

Associate
Gents, could you kindly confirm that (when firmware updates etc fix things) the 48CX supports 4K, 120Hz, GSync and HDR all at the same time over HDMI 2.1? I've seen some posts online recently which suggest that due to the 40gbps limitation of the CX you have to choose between GSync or HDR at one time.

It should support all of those and is marketed to do so. At the moment there's a Gsync bug I believe which will be fixed by a firmware update. There's also a bug with chroma subsampling on the CX but not the C9. This should also be fixed in time I imagine. The 40gbps bandwidth is enough for 4k 120hz 4:4:4 10-bit, and gsync isnt bandwidth-dependent, so it should all be fine in that regard.

Soldato
Does this give you black bars above and below the ultrawide image?
I don't have the TV yet, but yes, that's exactly what it will do.

What I am interested in, is the stand... If I sling this on a desk, with a keyboard directly in front of it, is there a gap/hole in the stand so that I can run the keyboard cable stright under it, rather than unattractively around it?

Soldato

What I am interested in, is the stand... If I sling this on a desk, with a keyboard directly in front of it, is there a gap/hole in the stand so that I can run the keyboard cable stright under it, rather than unattractively around it?

If the stand is the same as my c9 stand, that's a negative. But at the same time you are probably best served buying an arm/aftermarket stand for this anyway so that the screen is as far back on your desk as possible. The stand that is included is pushing the screen 25cm forward.

R3X

R3X

Soldato

If the stand is the same as my c9 stand, that's a negative. But at the same time you are probably best served buying an arm/aftermarket stand for this anyway so that the screen is as far back on your desk as possible. The stand that is included is pushing the screen 25cm forward.

Once you go black wall mount you won’t ever go back :p

So liberating to have it pinned on the wall and save all that desk space, looks much neater and cleaner also, if you can naturally.

Associate

No, there is no gap for the keyboard cable sorry.

Soldato
Finally ordered mine, upgrading from a 27” 1440p hazro monitor but currently only have a gtx 1060. Thanks for the help guys.

I’m impatient and paid the extra £20 for it to arrive on Saturday, now to look at wall mounts & HDMI cables.

Soldato

Cheers man. I'll be interested how you get on with this once you get one.

Coincidentally I saw the YT vid about this yesterday and spotted this thread as I'm very interested in this TV/Monitor now.

In my previous experiments on monitor choice I bought a 40" UHD display direct from a South Korean manufacturer (we haze zero tax import agreements) as recommend by level 1 Techs. That monitor had a brilliant scaler which allowed me to setup various aspect ratios and I ended up playing Witcher 3 on a 37.5" 3440 x 1440 screen with black bars top and bottom. As good as 40" 16:9 was it was just too big to view from the distance I was seated. So I sold it and bought the 34" X34 Predator.

Now I want a bit more height again so this may fit the bill nicely as I can mount it further back.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom