LG c9 OLED

Soldato
Looking at saving for one of these. I have a Hisense H506250A that I got for £299 when I got my PS4 Pro on the same day (so had to cheap out a bit). I have been considering a C9 as it seems to tick all the right boxes and also looking ahead for next gen consoles. I have a One X and PS4 Pro already.

Depending on price, I can get a B9 for £1098 which is just over my preferred budget of £1000. I can wait for black friday so just food for thought atm.

given C9 and B9 have stopped being produced a while back with introduction of 2020 models, would not bank on the 2019 models being available until then given they are already a fair bit cheaper then the 2020 range. Just something to keep in mind. That said, even if the 2019 models are gone by then, spray see drop in price for Black Friday for 2020 models.

Associate
Awful coil whine (i think its coil whine) on my set, part replaced earlier in the month and think its actually worse now. Getting to the stage i cant enjoy watching stuff at lower volumes. What is acceptable for this in this day and age?

65 C9, bought Dec 19. Ill see if I can capture the sound on video again. It is very high pitched and the phoe doesnt do a great job of picking it up i dont think. A lot of bright white content on screen will set it off most often but not exclusively.

I only use freesat, and it is a bit slow as well, at least comparing it to my previous experience with the Tivo V6 box from Virgin.

Just had my satellite installed, if I could ask a couple of questions, I don't have any channel names displayed on the left-hand side on the guide, only numbers, not sure if that's normal but hard to know what channel I'm looking at, also in the little preview box it always says "downloading program guide", does that do that on your set?

Associate
Just had my satellite installed, if I could ask a couple of questions, I don't have any channel names displayed on the left-hand side on the guide, only numbers, not sure if that's normal but hard to know what channel I'm looking at, also in the little preview box it always says "downloading program guide", does that do that on your set?

I just checked and in both the guide and the list (that's when you press the list symbol to get a partial guide) I get the channel number, then the channel's logo and then the programmes. When I first open either there is a maybe a 5 second loading time where in the full guide it displays everything apart from programmes and those are blank. In the list it will say 'loading' against each channel's programme view. Once you start scrolling down this will happen again for other channels, but the loading time there is 1-2 seconds.

I just checked and in both the guide and the list (that's when you press the list symbol to get a partial guide) I get the channel number, then the channel's logo and then the programmes. When I first open either there is a maybe a 5 second loading time where in the full guide it displays everything apart from programmes and those are blank. In the list it will say 'loading' against each channel's programme view. Once you start scrolling down this will happen again for other channels, but the loading time there is 1-2 seconds.

Not sure what to do, here is what mine looks like, the Sat signal is very good,

w781wPh.jpg

You see on the top left box, it always says "Downloading programme guide", does yours do that?, I have a feeling it's not updating properly.

Associate
No it does not; that's where the mini player is. Something seems odd. Are you on latest software? I think it did this at the very start, when I bought the TV, but doesn't do it anymore, so not sure if it was a software update.

I also have mine to not shut down completely, so maybe it keeps updating continuously in the background even when off?

Associate
Hi, have bought a C9 recently but not picked it up yet. Waiting for some building work to be done first before I put it on the wall.

Does anyone have any tips for calibration or any other advice for this TV? I can't wait to see it properly! :)

Associate
Hi, have bought a C9 recently but not picked it up yet. Waiting for some building work to be done first before I put it on the wall.

Does anyone have any tips for calibration or any other advice for this TV? I can't wait to see it properly! :)

Hi have a number of a bloke who calibrated mine if you would like it ?
Thanks

Soldato
Possibly but how come you need someone else to do it? Is it not possible to calibrate it yourself?
Setting up to look good/suit your taste isn't the same as calibration. Calibration uses a sensor or reference to ensure the colour and brightness is accurate to some standard (e.g. sRGB in PC monitors at least).

For the nicer consumer TVs like LG OLEDs you'll often find rough calibration ranges people share online.

Soldato

These are my settings but can’t promise how they will be in your environment as others have said regarding a calibration but hopefully they help:

SD/HD/4K - General Viewing

Picture Mode: ISF Expert (Dark Room)

OLED Light: 50 (Adjust to room, won’t impact picture quality)

Contrast: 90

Brightness:52

Sharpness:30

Colour: 50

Tint:0

Expert Controls:

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Super Resolution: Low

Colour Gamut: Auto

Gamma: BT.1886

Peak Brightness: Off

Picture Options

Noise Reduction: Low

MPEG Noise Reduction: Low

Smooth Gradation: Low

Motion eye-care: Off

Tru-motion: User (De-Judder:0 | De-Blur:0)

HDR Content (TV will display HDR mode on in top right when detected)

Picture Mode: Cinema Home

OLED Light: 70 (Adjust to room, won’t impact picture quality)

Contrast: 100

Brightness:50

Sharpness:20

Colour: 60

Advanced Controls:

Dynamic Tone Mapping: On

Dynamic Colour: Off

Picture Options

AI Brightness: Off

Dolby Vision Content (TV will display Dolby Vision mode on in top right when detected)

OLED Light: 80 (Adjust to room, won’t impact picture quality)

Expert Controls:

Peak Brightness: High

Picture Options

Associate
Are there any of these still available anywhere?

I got mine from Richer Sounds. They had it on display previously but I got such a good price I don't mind. I will however be double checking it (powered on) before taking it away.

You can to an extent, but without all the professional equipment and knowledge to use it, you will never get it looking as good as a pro can.

Setting up to look good/suit your taste isn't the same as calibration. Calibration uses a sensor or reference to ensure the colour and brightness is accurate to some standard (e.g. sRGB in PC monitors at least).

For the nicer consumer TVs like LG OLEDs you'll often find rough calibration ranges people share online.

Thanks both - I wasn't aware of this. I assumed that anyone selling "calibration" services would be a bit of a conman going around changing brightness settings and stuff to make the picture appear slightly better. I didn't realise they used proper equipment to do it.

Would be interesting to see one that has been "professionally calibrated" next to one that's not and see if I could even tell the difference, though.

These are my settings but can’t promise how they will be in your environment as others have said regarding a calibration but hopefully they help:

SD/HD/4K - General Viewing

Picture Mode: ISF Expert (Dark Room)

OLED Light: 50 (Adjust to room, won’t impact picture quality)

Contrast: 90

Brightness:52

Sharpness:30

Expert Controls:

Gamma: BT.1886

Peak Brightness: Off

Picture Options

HDR Content (TV will display HDR mode on in top right when detected)

OLED Light: 70 (Adjust to room, won’t impact picture quality)

Colour: 60

Advanced Controls:

Dynamic Tone Mapping: On

Dynamic Colour: Off

Picture Options

Dolby Vision Content (TV will display Dolby Vision mode on in top right when detected)

OLED Light: 80 (Adjust to room, won’t impact picture quality)

Expert Controls:

Peak Brightness: High

Picture Options

Thank you for this, I will see what it's like out of the box and try these settings as well. A* for effort there!

Soldato
Will be interesting to see how next Gen GPU's pan out. Imagine like others, planning on picking up 3xxx series GPU to pair with this TV. Looks like next Gen 3xxx support 48 Gbps.

Vincent has done a nic video covering it. I fully expect it will be a non-issue, but be interesting to see if there will be a difference. Not seen this situation before and while I think it will be a non-issue will be neat to see.

Now I just need to find a 5m HDMI 2.1 cable :p

Soldato
Will be interesting to see how next Gen GPU's pan out. Imagine like others, planning on picking up 3xxx series GPU to pair with this TV. Looks like next Gen 3xxx support 48 Gbps.

Vincent has done a nic video covering it. I fully expect it will be a non-issue, but be interesting to see if there will be a difference. Not seen this situation before and while I think it will be a non-issue will be neat to see.

Now I just need to find a 5m HDMI 2.1 cable :p

Had no problems with Kabledirect and UGreen ones in three past for all my devices. Don't think there are any certified 2.1 cables so just look for 48gbps/8K.

Back
Top Bottom