LG c9 OLED

Soldato
Just noticed some really bad burn in on my C9 after just 6 months.

Looks like its down to playing Fifa, I know burn in is kinda to be expected with these but not this early on.

Really? Post some pictures

and if possible what settings you used and how m shy hours you think you spent playing just one game

Soldato
Just the default HDR Gaming profile:

OLED Light: 100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 55
Tint: 0

That would make the issue occur faster, personally I lower my OLEd light and contrast for HDR gaming.

Edit: so you have played fifa in HDR with maxed out brightness and contrast for about 700 hours. Maybe that's to be expected - some games are worse than others and FIFA is known for it, compounded by the settings you used.

Ive now reached 2000 hours on my C9, it just completed its first mandatory 1hr refresh. Checked after and the panel is still 100% free from banding or burn in (but I've never played any single game for longer than 60 hours on it and as I mentioned I use lower Oled light and contrast)

Last edited:
Soldato
That would make the issue occur faster, personally I lower my OLEd light and contrast for HDR gaming.

Edit: so you have played fifa in HDR with maxed out brightness and contrast for about 700 hours. Maybe that's to be expected - some games are worse than others and FIFA is known for it, compounded by the settings you used.

Nah, those numbers just dont add up. If we're talking in game time (ie where the HUD is) I doubt we're looking at more than 400 hours (circa 20 hours a week in game, and even that feels like overkill) as there was a 6 week break in there towards the end of Fifa 21.

Was unaware that the default game settings would use unsuitable brightness levels, ah well I'll see how this pans out. I'll make sure to update when I know more !

Soldato
OLED light doesn’t function the same in HDR mode and should be left on 100, unless FIFA is doing something stupid the HUD shouldn’t be displaying at a high peak brightness.

I’ve got over 3000 hours on my C9 and no noticeable burn in so far.

Soldato
OLED light doesn’t function the same in HDR mode and should be left on 100, unless FIFA is doing something stupid the HUD shouldn’t be displaying at a high peak brightness.

I’ve got over 3000 hours on my C9 and no noticeable burn in so far.

I don't have much HDR content but didn't like t at 100.

Wish there is "normal" oled light output and maximum , so you get SDR like output throughout the film,and HDR when it's there it not retina burning

Soldato

Ive now reached 2000 hours on my C9, it just completed its first mandatory 1hr refresh. Checked after and the panel is still 100% free from banding or burn in (but I've never played any single game for longer than 60 hours on it and as I mentioned I use lower Oled light and contrast)
Aren't those the standard settings for HDR?

Soldato
I don't have much HDR content but didn't like t at 100.

Wish there is "normal" oled light output and maximum , so you get SDR like output throughout the film,and HDR when it's there it not retina burning
That’s how OLED light works in HDR the OLED light is the maximum light level allowed and then content is mastered to different levels.

In SDR OLED light works differently and sets the light level for everything.

Associate
Actual in game today is less than 3 hours a day, these are clear and obvious bars from being 'in match' (ie its where certain HUD items would be)

This TV also gets used as my work monitor, and there is no sign of any burn in from where the start bar would be or anything like that, which is odd.

Screen shift was enabled, as was the Logo Luminance Adjustment.

I'll see how the Pixel refresh turns out and then if no luck I'll see what JL say, worst case I paid on my credit card and I'm pretty confident the CC provider would side with me about Burn In after 6 months on a £1500 TV.

Your CC company will not get involved, you knew going in the pro's and con's, this is your own doing, you really do have to follow a few basic rules. JL do offer ''Protect Plus'' for accidental damage, but has to be brought when you brought the TV. Fifa of all games?.

Soldato
Your CC company will not get involved, you knew going in the pro's and con's, this is your own doing, you really do have to follow a few basic rules. JL do offer ''Protect Plus'' for accidental damage, but has to be brought when you brought the TV. Fifa of all games?.

Burn in after 2 years was a risk I was willing to take, burn in after 6 months on a £1500 product when using the manufacturers settings and have enabled things like screen shift to protect against it is a **** take. Not sure what the need is for the aggressive tone of your post, or the relevance of the games I choose to play.

What "basic rules" should I have followed that I didn't? Did I miss something?

I've already spoken to JL, they've passed me over to LG who will be calling me back. If I don't get anywhere with LG I'll try the credit card provider and if that doesn't get me anywhere then I'll pay for the repair, turn this into the bedroom TV and go buy a Samsung QLED.

Soldato
Smashing through hours of FIFA in HDR mode is pretty much 'how to ruin an OLED 101'. You might need to knock it off the stand by accident.

Soldato
Really? I genuinely didn't see that come up in any of the research I did before purchasing.

Also never had this issue on my C8 which saw just as hard use and continues to go strong as my living room TV.

Soldato
That’s how OLED light works in HDR the OLED light is the maximum light level allowed and then content is mastered to different levels.

In SDR OLED light works differently and sets the light level for everything.

Oled led seems similar to LCD backlight in design it effects everything. So no ta not just maximum possible light output but overall light output. Normal scenes in hsd disk it's too bright

Soldato
Really? I genuinely didn't see that come up in any of the research I did before purchasing.

Also never had this issue on my C8 which saw just as hard use and continues to go strong as my living room TV.
The first thing I did was set the 'game' profile to oled light 60 instead of 100.

Caporegime
For HDR to work as intended, oled light should be left at 100 and for sdr, 25-50 depending on your rooms brightness, personally mine is at 40%

Soldato
For HDR to work as intended, oled light should be left at 100 and for sdr, 25-50 depending on your rooms brightness, personally mine is at 40%

100 would be eye bustingly bright in a dark room.

I set mine to between 25 and 50 in a dark room for HDR.

You also have peak brightness setting to play with.

Soldato
100 would be eye bustingly bright in a dark room.

I set mine to between 25 and 50 in a dark room for HDR.

You also have peak brightness setting to play with.
It isn’t though because people aren’t understanding that OLED light in HDR mode works differently, HDR light is the maximum level something can be, on a C9 that is around 700 bits, it doesn’t mean every single pixel is at the max level, pixels can be set at different levels in HDR mode, if a game is programmed correctly stuff like the HUD would be set at 100-200 nits so not stupidly bright.

All you’re doing by lowering OLED light in HDR mode is gimping your dynamic range as the set will no longer be capable of having highlights at 700 nits anymore.

Now if you’re talking SDR mode then yes OLED light at 100 is stupid and will be blinding, I use 30 in SDR mode.

Everyone lowering OLED light in HDR mode is gimping their HDR quality for no reason.

Soldato
It isn’t though because people aren’t understanding that OLED light in HDR mode works differently, HDR light is the maximum level something can be, on a C9 that is around 700 bits, it doesn’t mean every single pixel is at the max level, pixels can be set at different levels in HDR mode, if a game is programmed correctly stuff like the HUD would be set at 100-200 nits so not stupidly bright.

All you’re doing by lowering OLED light in HDR mode is gimping your dynamic range as the set will no longer be capable of having highlights at 700 nits anymore.

Now if you’re talking SDR mode then yes OLED light at 100 is stupid and will be blinding, I use 30 in SDR mode.

Everyone lowering OLED light in HDR mode is gimping their HDR quality for no reason.

I had assumed that it scales the entire brightness range to suit, so if the HUD for example would be 200nits at OLED 100, it wouldn't still be 200nits at OLED 50. The (again, assumed) end result being that whilst you are obviously compromising the peak HDR visual glory of FIFA you are still dimming the HUD elements and making them 'safer'.

What you're describing sounds more like a capping effect, so the HUD would always be at 200nits regardless of OLED light setting (assuming it was enough to reach 200 nits in the first place) but the highlights in the game would drop from say 1000nits to 500nits.

For clarity on my above post, I've only dropped the OLED light setting on the Game HDR profile, not the other profiles being used for TV or films.

Soldato

If gimping my dynamic range means that my eyes are saved from being burnt out then so be it.

The picture looks excellent to me in a dark room. I really can't comprehend anyone watching at full HDR brightness in cinema style dark room.

I'm talking movies here but I'm also pretty certain I lower the brightness on games too depending on the ambient light.

Back
Top Bottom